Sign in to follow this  
Placebos

Rock Chip Protection

yet another question; has anyone had any experience with the invisible car bra? I know 3M makes one but i was wondering if anyone has ever installed one.

On my last car I bought one of these acrylic protectors, I think it was around $220 and I installed it myself. This was not a good idea as there were visible crinkles on the corners and it really did not look good at all, however it did a superb job of protecting the front portions of the car from the small rock chips that I'd had a couple dozen of by the time I installed the protector (at about 8,000 miles if I remember right). So they certainly do serve a purpose, but if you want one I would highly suggest paying a body shop $500 or so to do it if you really want it done right.

I got my first 3M invisible bra put on my 2007 Mercedes SL550 about 3 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. It protected the whole front of the car from Rock Chips, and made bug and bird mess easy to remove. I picked up my new Ford Fusion Hybrid on Tuesday, had the clear bra put on yesterday. I think it's very important to deal with a reputable, professional, authorized dealer. I even asked for references the first time. My FFH is the light blue (Ice Blue Metallic), and I got the full kit, which goes part way up the hood. I would challenge anyone to spot it from 5 feet away. It is such a good match for that color! I have heard some wild variances in prices, but I went back to the same guy again and paid the same price as before - $700. Not cheap, but worth every penny in my book.

Sorry, forgot your last question.

Washing is no different...just wash the car, and I mean every part, including the clear bra covered areas.

Wax/polish - I would include the clear bra hood area when doing a polish...no problem.

Clearcoat/basecoat paint doesn't fade like single stage did. The clearcoat though eventually hazes from fine scratches, so you eventually will see a difference between the film and paint, but that is years away, when the car is not worth anything anymore. As long as the paint is maintained, either with a polish or wax, no need to worry about paint fade. It's UV light that fades paint, so unless the clear film has UV protection, which from what I read , they don't, the paint underneath the film will "fade" at the same rate as the uncovered portion. It is also best to have a pro install it, the big pieces are a pain to do by yourself, and has to be done very gently and with lots of liquid.