Traks

adding 6.5" components in front doors

My wifes Fusion's speakers just started sounding bad,could be because im used to my trucks,but the stockers just where not cutting it. I picked up a set of Kicker Comp. 6.5 comp.'s for cheap online to upgrade the system.

Didnt see anything very detailed about redoing the door speakers on the fusions so I thought I post my job on upgrading the wifes Fusion.

1st up pics of all of the screw locations in the fron doors.

In door rest. Behind button on door handle. Side of door and bottom of door.

DSCI0215.jpg

DSCI0216.jpg

DSCI0218.jpg

DSCI0217.jpg

Pull out cover for door handle and unplugs locks. Pry out arm rest cover and unplug locks,and mirror controls. And pry door panel off. Follow the panel around and pry alittle with a screwdriver to be able to see the lock pins,pry out next to those. It will sound like plastic breaking when they come apart. Just work your way all around the door.

DSCI0220.jpg

DSCI0221.jpg

DSCI0222.jpg

DSCI0223.jpg

DSCI0224.jpg

DSCI0225.jpg

1st upgrade the tweeters. The Kicker tweeters where pretty close to to the stock ones in size.

DSCI0226.jpg

DSCI0227.jpg

DSCI0228.jpg

DSCI0229.jpg

Last but not least. Making new baffles and mounting the crossovers. Use the stock speaker and trace the outline on your wood,cut that out. Drill holes that match the stock speakers screw locations,this is what will be used to mount your baffle. Trace out the new speakers outline and transfer that to your baffle,double check your size and make your new cutout. In the last pic you can some what see the baffle behind the door panel. Sounds much better sound than stock. They are running off the stock head unit for the time being but will be amped soon and the stocker will be gone. Hope this helps.

DSCI0230.jpg

DSCI0231.jpg

DSCI0232.jpg

DSCI0233.jpg

DSCI0234.jpg

Wow, great pics, thanks for posting! Please post pics when you replace the amp.

Do you have the Nav head unit with Sony upgrade?

Will you replace the head or just run the amps off it? High level or low level outputs?

How many channels does the stock amp have? Is it 5.1?

Will you be replacing the rear speakers too?

Really appreciated. Mine sounds harsh and sometimes distorted in the bass. I can't play it loud, drives me crazy.

No Nav. in it. Just the stock 6 disc. It will be replaced with an aftermarket one as soon as I can find one the wife likes. The rear speakers are unhooked right now due to having to run a LOC for the subs. Not sure if I will bother with those or not after the headunit is replaced.

Those Comp's fill the cab nicely even off the stock headunit.

This weekend I will be starting on a new enclosure for it to house two 10" RE Audio SR's that I pulled out of my F150,and an amp rack to hold the sub amp and Comp's amp.

Thanks for posting this, I plan to upgrade the system in mine at some point and was wondering where everything was. I've never had to deal with power windows/locks in taking off door panels either. Glad to see it seems simple.

Can you give any input as to how much clearance there is on either end of the speakers? From the front of the speaker to the panel, and from the rear to where the window goes when opened?

Thanks for posting this, I plan to upgrade the system in mine at some point and was wondering where everything was. I've never had to deal with power windows/locks in taking off door panels either. Glad to see it seems simple.

Can you give any input as to how much clearance there is on either end of the speakers? From the front of the speaker to the panel, and from the rear to where the window goes when opened?

Theres not much room between the baffles and the door panels. Im going to end up redoing them and using 5/8 MDF for the baffles,I used 3/4. Still seems to be enough room that the woofers are not hitting the panel but im going to be amping them soon. As far as the back side there is plenty of room. The factory spacers give a good few inches plus what you gain if you add baffles. The sound is night and day diff. from the upgrade. Ill will be upgrading the rear door speakers with Kicker 2 way 4x6's as soon as I get time,works been crazy plus trying to get my truck done.

The wife being picky hasnt made it easy,3 10's where two loud (not sure how thats possible),then went to two 10's in a vented enclosure and she didnt care for it either. Women,lol. So now shes running 1 12w3 in a sealed box,with around 400 watss going to it. I still have to build an amp rack,ill try to get some pics up soon.

How are you guys getting wiring to the door? Does the Fusion have that pain in the @#! molex connector like a lot of other cars, or is it just an open boot??