Sign in to follow this  
hoyafan

Honda Insight vs. FFH comparison

Hi there - I spent the last two months test driving and researching the latest hybrids and will bore you with my findings:

There are several significant differences between the Honda Insight and the Ford Fusion:

1) Hybrid - the Ford Fusion Hybrid (FFH) is a true gas/electric hybrid and can operate on full electric in grid lock, stop and go traffic. The Honda Insight is an electric assist system and cannot do this.

2) Brakes - FFH comes standard with 4 wheel disc brakes whereas the Insight has two discs on the front wheels and drum style brakes in the rear. This is a significant difference if massive stopping power is important.

3) Wheels/suspension - FFH comes standard with 17" cast wheels and the Insight has 15" steel rims on the DX and 15" cast aluminum wheels on the LX. Small wheels on the Insight give a "little car" ride and you feel every bump.

4) Functionality - the FFH is a 4 door sedan with a small trunk and the Insight has a hatch back.

5) Accessories - FFH offers an extensive menu of options and upgrades to suit a variety of needs. The Insight offers only two packages, DX and LX: LX offers an impressive navigation system, blue tooth connectivity, upgraded stereo, and steering wheel shifting paddles (?)

Conclusion: Both the Insight and the FFH are well built well designed cars but there are big differences. The FFH is a real driver's car, rock solid at highway speeds (75 mph/120 kph) and offers true electric performance in bumper to bumper/grid lock conditions. The FFH is a very comfortable car and people over 5'-5" tall can sit comfortably in the front and rear- ride is Euro style. The Honda two biggest features are its versatile hatch back and the Navigation system standard (one of the best I have ever seen) on the LX package.

Hope that this helps!

I'm curious, what's so great about the nav on the Honda? Is it comparable to a Garmin?

I had a 2004 Acura TSX (which as I'm sure you are aware is in the Honda family) with navigation before I got my FFH. The navigation on that car is more advanced than the one on my FFH, so I can imagine how advanced the newest version on the Insight is.

My parents who are totally electronically ignorant were able to use the navi in my TSX with just one lesson when they came to visit me. I am sure they could not use the one in my FFH because I still have "scratch my head" moments and I've owned it for a month.

The Honda/Acura navi system also functions completely when driving unlike the FFH's (unless they changed that on models newer than my 2004).

The Garmin Nuvi 660 I have for our RV sucks. It is about as user unfriendly as it can be. I defy you to figure out how to change the time zone on the damn thing without going crazy. The FFH is light years ahead of a Garmin.

I'm curious, what's so great about the nav on the Honda? Is it comparable to a Garmin?

Garmin GPS is in a class by itself and it is head and shoulders over everything on the market. It also one of the better examples of "value management."

I just liked the NAV system on the Honda Insight because it was so easy to learn and the display was great when showing the "lane assist" feature.