smr2112

Homelink Replacement for FFH

As others might have mentioned, I was dismayed to see this car has just about

everything, but no Homelink transmitter! Agghhh...

I don't care about turning on lights in my house, I just want the garage door

opener function.

I can buy a very small transmitter from Genie (Intellicode) and velcro it

somewhere hidden. Anybody else have other ideas? I heard you

can buy a visor replacement, but this can't be specific for that

car and match color, etc.?

I don't want the remote door opener on the visor unless it is really out

of the way.

Haven't gotten the car yet, but ordering it this week.

I would love to know if anyone has tried the visor or mirror replacement. I was told by the dealer's parts manager that the harness all the way down to the dash has to be changed out for either option. Based on the original post it seems that is not a correct statement. Does anyone know if the visors for the 2010 are different than the 2009? No 2010 used parts around anywhere yet (of course)

Jon

You can buy a used homelink transmitter off ebay or from a salvage yard. Some are visor mounted and some are mounted overhead or in the console depending on the vehicle model. All of these will work - you just need to find a place to mount it. I bought a homelink visor from a Maxima for $50 and transferred it to my Fusion visor. You wire it into the lighted vanity, but it does require a dremel to cut out the mounting hole. The hard part is getting the fabric off and back on in one piece - I cut mine and it looks terrible but it works fine. I'm going to buy a new regular visor and try again at some point.

You should be able to buy a factory Fusion visor that matches perfectly but it will cost you over $300. Same with the rear view mirror with Homelink - over $300.

Check this out....

http://www.johnson-collection.com/index.ht...&_listpos=5

I would love to know if anyone has tried the visor or mirror replacement. I was told by the dealer's parts manager that the harness all the way down to the dash has to be changed out for either option. Based on the original post it seems that is not a correct statement. Does anyone know if the visors for the 2010 are different than the 2009? No 2010 used parts around anywhere yet (of course)

Jon

If you get an SEL with HomeLink and NAV do you get a visor or a mirror with HomeLink?

My problem is that I have an attached garage door and a detached garage door. Each uses a different opener that use different frequencies. HomeLink is able to read/transmit any of the common frequencies so it will do both at the same time. Right now I have two big ugly remotes hanging on my visors.

Jon

That may be true for the rear view mirror since some vehicles have microphones or other stuff in the mirror. That is NOT true for the visor. The only wiring required for homelink is a 12V power source which is already present in the lighted vanity mirror. If you're replacing a lighted vanity visor with a homelink visor and it's the same interior color code it should fit just fine.

The link you posted is basically the same as what you would get off Ebay - there are various types of enclosures and buttons but they're all self contained with 3 buttons and only require a 12V power lead and ground. You can even buy a visor, remove the transceiver and mount it in the console or dash.

Jon

I don't want to chop up my sunvisor or dash and the rearview mirror option won't work with SYNC because the microphone is built into the mirror. As such, I'm leaning toward this rather expensive option:

http://www.gatehousesupplies.com/Homelink-...p/58-123401.htm

I tried to get a different universal remote, but they won't work with my brand of openers.

I don't want to chop up my sunvisor or dash and the rearview mirror option won't work with SYNC because the microphone is built into the mirror. As such, I'm leaning toward this rather expensive option:

http://www.gatehousesupplies.com/Homelink-...p/58-123401.htm

I tried to get a different universal remote, but they won't work with my brand of openers.

Ditto that, for my purposes, I am going to buy something like this and either

clip it to the visor or velcro it somewhere out of the way. Not worth $300

for a visor until some other solution comes along

http://www.geniedoor.com/products/genie-gi...code-remote.htm

IMHO, you are going a bit overboard.

I ordered a 3 button remote on eBay, have it all programmed and ready to go once my FFH is here.

So order one, hide it if you must, but just go for it, accept it, forget the visor replacement, etc.

As others might have mentioned, I was dismayed to see this car has just about

everything, but no Homelink transmitter! Agghhh...

I don't care about turning on lights in my house, I just want the garage door

opener function.

I can buy a very small transmitter from Genie (Intellicode) and velcro it

somewhere hidden. Anybody else have other ideas? I heard you

can buy a visor replacement, but this can't be specific for that

car and match color, etc.?

I don't want the remote door opener on the visor unless it is really out

of the way.

Haven't gotten the car yet, but ordering it this week.

Some of us can't use a universal remote (other than the HomeLink). Right now I have TWO universal remotes because I have two different openers with two different frequencies. The MFGR changed the freq. they use when the military started transmitting on the old one. The HomeLink is the only device I know of that will learn the frequency and encoding of just about any system.

Jon

IMHO, you are going a bit overboard.

I ordered a 3 button remote on eBay, have it all programmed and ready to go once my FFH is here.

So order one, hide it if you must, but just go for it, accept it, forget the visor replacement, etc.

Some of us can't use a universal remote (other than the HomeLink). Right now I have TWO universal remotes because I have two different openers with two different frequencies. The MFGR changed the freq. they use when the military started transmitting on the old one. The HomeLink is the only device I know of that will learn the frequency and encoding of just about any system.

Jon

Indeed. My garage opener isn't a problem for those "Universal" remotes because it's a Genie, however I have an electric gate that takes a special code that the univerals won't recognize. I'd like to have both on one remote because I hate having two flopping around in the map pocket (I hate clipping them to my visor)