Sign in to follow this  
drgallo

iPhone version 3.0 software upgrade will enable wireless BTST transfers.

The newest Apple iPhone software 3.0 upgrade, which will be available free on June 17th for all iPhone users will allow the iPhone to stream music to the Ford Sync System via BlueTooth, wirelessly. I have been using this new software for the past few weeks (I am an Apple Software Developer). I can tell you that it works VERY nicely with my 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I usually leave my iPhone on and as soon as I start the car, the music that is on the iPhone plays instantly, via the BlueTooth BTST connection. If I shut the car, and then start it again, it goes right to the point where I left off.

There are some limitations to this wireless BTST connection. Unlike a wired USB connection, you won't be able to see your music library, and I also doubt that you can do any Sync searches for Song, Artist or Title, either. You can pause a selection using the BTST with the steering wheel controls, but I don't think you can do more than that.

Oh yeah, the iPhone does switch to telephone mode for any incoming calls while in the shared Audio BTST mode. What I do most of the time is leave the iPhone in my pocket (especially for short trips) and just let the BTST do all of the work. For longer trips, I plug into the USB mode to get those extra features that the BTST mode lacks.

So, after the software is available on June 17, just upgrade your iPhone, the go to your car and try to pair it again. That should do the trick.

I have the iPhone 3.0 and I see a problem. There appears to be a problem when the iPhone is connected both via USB AND BT. The sound no longer works with the USB. That is: when trying to play via the USB there is no sound. If I turn the BT off then the USB mode works as before.

Mark Lederer

--------------------------

I have a streaming issue too. There are cuts while playing music. The "cuts" is meant that for a micro-second, I don't get music, its silent. Its like no connection for a micro-second. I am getting this once or twice in a song.

Anyone has this problem?

I have the iPhone 3.0 and I see a problem. There appears to be a problem when the iPhone is connected both via USB AND BT. The sound no longer works with the USB. That is: when trying to play via the USB there is no sound. If I turn the BT off then the USB mode works as before.

Mark Lederer

--------------------------

Yup! The other night I tried the same thing. First just used BT and it worked exactly like a pair of BT Stereo Headphones that I have. Volume, and Play/Pause. No Next or Previous track and no "Library".

Then I connected it via the USB. Loaded the library, playlists, everything. Played fine, but no sound!! Then I turned of BT on the iPhone and it worked fine.

Of course, the problem is now I have no use of the phone, since BT is turned off.

I just copied all my tunes to a USB stick and I get the same functionality. And I have a short, 8 inch USB extension cord so I don't have to get a flashlight to see where the jack is in the dark. It even can be left hanging out of the console to make hooking up the USB stick easier.

FYI The iPhone is a 3GS with 3.0 firmware.

It's a quandary. I like connecting the iPhone via USB so that it can charge during use and so the iPod metadata displays on the Sync screen. But when a call comes in, BT kicks in to answer it, the music mutes, but when the call ends the music does not resume. I have to pull over, remove the USB wire, etc. It's fine when the iPod is playing via BT, but of course then the metadata doesn't display and the 3GS doesn't charge. Any one finding a way around this issue?