BearCat

Maint rumors? Color laments and tax questions.

I have been researching moving to a hybrid. I am a black and white guy and an avid DIY'er. I own a 91 Toy MR2 with a motor swap and a Toy Rav4. I am looking to replace my Nissan Maxima (01 5 spd). While I love my "row on your own", concessions need to be made for the next car. I keep my cars a long time and do all the maint myself.

Knowing that the "low" (pains me to say that the oil companies have us trained) cost of fuel right now is limited time offer, I have created spreadsheets to really understand the cost of hybrid ownership. Where I am having issues filling the gap in on is Hybrid maint. I have read "rumors" (unsubstantiated verbage) stating that even the "lights" on the Ford Hybrid have chips to communicate voltage draw to the main CPU. Normal parts only being available from the dealer (spark plugs, filters so on and so forth). Granted, these are not "fact" sites, but its pays to do ones homework.

I dont understand this. Voltage use/draw can be monitored via wiring and not an "on board" chip on the light assembly. I need to make sure that the "non-hybrid" parts are go to the local auto shop and get type stuff.

Also, why cant the Hybrid get some more "fun" colors? I love the red and yet, not an option. :finger:

One last question: The tax incentives end this year, correct? They dont "reset" for next year, correct?

Hello BearCat,

I purchased a FFH about 3 weeks ago and love it. I am a Mechanical Engineer by training and, like you, tend to do most of my own maintenance. Being an engineer, I am impressed by the simplistic effeciency of the eCVT drivetrain. When you compare it to the complexity of modern 5 - 6 - 7 speed transmissions, it's really a thing of beauty. I believe that the eCVT/PSD drivetrain has the inherent potential to be much more reliable than an automatic transmission. However automatic transmissions are a very mature technology that has had the advantage of time to work out all the bugs.

One of the concerns that you specifically stated was the rumor that you heard that the FFH used special parts. Specifically you mentioned lights. My understanding is that the majority of the chassis parts are the same as with a non-hybrid Fusion. The Hybrid has a 12V battery. Since this is not used to drive a starter, my opinion is that it is there so that standard chassis electrical components can be used (lights, blower motor, stereo, etc.).

Looking through the manual, the part number for components seem to be pretty standard

Headlamp high beam - H7LL

Headlamp Low beam - H11LL

Oil Filter - FL2017B

The manual does make the notation that the following bulbs should be replaced by the dealer: Headlamps, park/turn signal lamp, rear sidemarker lamp, high mount brake lamp. I don't think this is because these items use special bulbs, but it is due to the difficulty of access to these lamps.

The manual states that "the vehicle is equipped with a long life air filter. The filter is designed to last the life of the vehicle." Now I live in dusty West Texas and I have a hard time understanding how an air filter can operate effectively for more than 2 years, but my guess is that Ford had to come up with a new approach for the air filter due to space contraints in trying to fit the hybrid power train into a standard chassis. The air intake snakes under the battery, which is where the filter must be located.

The manual also states that the spark plugs should be changed by the dealer. I'm not sure why this requirement, as they look very accessible.

Finally, the standard warranty is for 8year/100K miles for Hybrid Unique Components. This helps cover some of the unknowns about new hybrid technology.

So in conclusion, I would agree with Quincy that the maintenance requirements for the first 100K miles should be less than what you would spend with a traditional Fusion. I am also a "buy and hold" car owner. My last car (1982 Mercedes 300TD) had 270K miles on it. I'm not sure anyone can predict the reliability of the FFH at 200K+ miles. However that is part of the risk of being an early adopter of a new technology.

That being said, I am so impressed with this car that I have no regrets about my purchase.

It says in a lot of on line documentation that the transmission type on the FFH is CVT. I haven't seen PSD mentioned anywhere. Any reason for that?

Kirk

The Fusion Hybrid should cost LESS to maintain than a regular Fusion.

Here's why:

- The Fusion Hybrid uses a Power Split Device transmission. It has just one planetary gearset with about 30 moving parts. No gear-shifting wear-and-tear. It has no clutch, no hot-running torque converter, no CVT belts. That is why it is lower-maintenance and more durable than regular-car multiple-gear transmissions with 100+ moving parts. It is the same kind of transmission used by Toyota hybrids like the Prius. How the PSD Transmission works: http://www.eahart.com/prius/psd

- A big side benefit of the PSD transmission is that the big 90hp MG2 electrical traction motor in the Fusion Hybrid can be used to electrically brake the car to slow it down. This electrical regenerative braking converts the car's forward momentum into storable electricity (which goes into the battery pack), and saves brake pad wear tremendously. The Fusion Hybrid won't need a brake pad change until after 100,000 miles. (Not a typo.). Try that in a regular Fusion and see what happens. B)

- The Fusion Hybrid also does not have a timing belt. It does not have an alternator. Nor does it have a starter motor or solenoid. Less things to wear out and need replacement. Regular cars have those.

- The Fusion Hybrid uses 87-octane regular gas. You don't use higher octanes because the Atkinson-cycle engine leaves their valves open longer, so you DO NOT want the delayed combustion characteristics of the higher-octane fuel. And 87-octane is cheaper.

The fuel economy is nice, but I think the best thing about the Power Split Device-equipped hybrid cars are their decreased maintenance requirements.

After driving a Power Split Device car, regular cars feel downright primitive. I am NEVER going back to a regular car. :)

The Fusion uses the Aisin HD-20. It was designed specifically for Ford. Aisin does not make it available to anyone else. It is based on the HD-10 design with some improvements in the gearing and motors from what I read.

Also, E85 is a major no-go in the FFH. The Atkinson cycle engine is very tightly controlled for the specific combustion properties of regular gas. Even putting premium in it will cause problems (loss of power from what I understand as well as stress on the engine). E85 engines have to have special highly acid resistant fuel components and a sensor system that pretty dramatically changes the ignition and fuel timing when E85 is detected.

Jon

The specs listed by the Ford Dealers all say the Ford Fusion Hybrid's transmission is the Aisin PowerSplit eCVT automatic transmission. The name should be pretty descriptive of what kind of transmission that is. :)

The Power Split Device in the Ford Escape Hybrid and Fusion Hybrid are both manufactured by Aisin Seiki in Japan. I don't have the particular Aisin model number for the Fusion Hybrid's Power Split Device yet, but the ones used in the Escape Hybrid are the Aisin T-030 and T-031. Aisin does have a Power Split Device transmission listed in their current catalog with an "HD-10" model number, with a 65kw (which is 86hp) MG2 electric motor. Sounds awfully like the specs for the FFH MG2.

Check out the attachment. That is the Ford Power Split Device.

post-2698-1244279436_thumb.jpg

And check out the Prius Power Split Device: http://www.eahart.com/prius/psd

They are the same kind of animal. B)

...Finally, the standard warranty is for 8year/100K miles for Hybrid Unique Components. This helps cover some of the unknowns about new hybrid technology....

Howdy... apologies for the hi-jack.... New here.

Where is this in the warranty booklet? I tried to find this info and it seems to spend so much time on the California exceptions that I just couldn't find the warranty for the battery pack, etc. I'm in Texas.

Well, didn't work. Said I didn't have permission to go there. So, I tried finding it myself by going to http://www.motorcraftservice.com but I need to subscribe. That's OK. Surely this is in my warranty book, but I just can't find it, probably right in front of me.

EDIT: HA! Take that! I registered and now have the document:

(4) Your vehicle’s unique components are covered during the Hybrid

Vehicle Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000

miles, whichever occurs first. The following parts are covered during this

extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, continuously variable

transmission and the DC/DC converter. In addition, the high-voltage battery

connector, fan assembly, thermister probe, hybrid battery pack sensor

module (HBPSM), and the battery energy control module (BECM) are

covered for the Fusion Hybrid and the Milan Hybrid only.

Now that you have registered with Motorcraft, you are officially in the Ford Family.

No more GM.

No more Delco.

Enjoy your new life.

It is cool. I am adjusting... I think I'm still reeling over the Powered by MICROSOFT emblem on the console (for the Sync). Now THAT will definitely take some time.

(4) Your vehicle’s unique components are covered during the Hybrid

Vehicle Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000

miles, whichever occurs first. The following parts are covered during this

extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, continuously variable

transmission and the DC/DC converter. In addition, the high-voltage battery

connector, fan assembly, thermister probe, hybrid battery pack sensor

module (HBPSM), and the battery energy control module (BECM) are

covered for the Fusion Hybrid and the Milan Hybrid only.

This exact same text can be found on pages 9/10 of the Warranty Guide.