Shhaannkk

Do I need a higher wattage battery?

hey shhaannkk, i have an 08 fusion, and i put 2 12" pioneers w/ a 2000watt amp, and also a 600watt amp hooked to my interiors and did NOT change my battery and everything has been fine so far (about 6months now), hope that helps

I highly doubt it is a true 2000 watt amp. You will only be able to run at most 1500 rms off stock and that is pushing it. I suggest no more than 1000 without at least a battery upgrade.

What brand amps are those?

Unless your engine is off, the battery isn't really supplying current to your amplifier, the alternator is. As a device, a battery will supply current slowly (relative to how an amp pulls current). Aside from which, they only supply current up to a certain point before the voltage drops off. Your setup in the Lumina probably exceeded what your alternator could transiently supply.

The general fix for this sort of thing is to install a large capacitor in parallel with your battery (e.g., between the battery's positive terminal and a chassis ground). Capacitor's are charge storage devices; in this sense they are like a battery. They respond to transient demand better than batteries (they store and release energy quicker), which makes them good for this sort of thing.

If you find that your aftermarket amp is putting too much demand on your electrical system, just install a large cap (you can get them from any car audio store--Crutchfield carries a few; their prices are a little high, but you're paying for the convenience and return policy). It's very simple to do.

The main downside of installing a cap (aside from buying yet another thing for your car) is that all caps have some leakage, and if you don't drive your car for a while, they'll eventually drain your battery. Some car audio cap assemblies have a built in switch that disconnects the internal cap. Or you can just disconnect your battery before going on vacation.

Incorrect. The amp draws power from the battery. The alternator is what charges the battery. The battery is a power reserve and once drained you will drop voltage so low that the amp will shut off. Most amps will shut off at 10 volts.

Capacitors are a waste of money and the biggest gimick to hit the audio market. The amplifier itself has (or should have) as many caps as needed to regualte voltage across the board. Your best fix is to get a gel cell like an Optima yellow top that has a slower discharge. Again, our Fusions only have about a 110-120 amp alternator. 1000 watts rms pulls 100 amps.