Suncoast Hybrid

Still have original brake pads at 87K miles

2019 Hybrid Titanium with 87K miles and still have the original brake pads. Stops are smooth and silent, but I can't help but think the pads must be close to the end of their lifespan. I do drive pretty gently, coasting to a stop when I can and using the Eco button for regen, so I expect that has helped quite a bit, but 87K? Anybody else here experienced such long life?

Even if they are still original, its a good idea to do a brake service every few years. Cleaning the rust from the guides and lubing the caliper pins. 

18 minutes ago, billford said:

Even if they are still original, its a good idea to do a brake service every few years. Cleaning the rust from the guides and lubing the caliper pins. 

Thanks Bill, I've been thinking I should do something! Have a great CHristmas

11 hours ago, Suncoast Hybrid said:

2019 Hybrid Titanium with 87K miles and still have the original brake pads. Stops are smooth and silent, but I can't help but think the pads must be close to the end of their lifespan. I do drive pretty gently, coasting to a stop when I can and using the Eco button for regen, so I expect that has helped quite a bit, but 87K? Anybody else here experienced such long life?

2014 with 83k miles. Last year, the dealership said that the brakes were almost 100% new with very little wear.

A pleasant surprise with a Hybrid.

23 hours ago, 2014FordFusionSE said:

2014 with 83k miles. Last year, the dealership said that the brakes were almost 100% new with very little wear.

A pleasant surprise with a Hybrid.

Wow, pretty amazing. You've had it since new?

16 hours ago, MeeLee said:

130k Miles, and still on the stock pads. Still over 30% left on them.

Wow again! Thanks for sharing that. Hope I'm as lucky.

Edited by Suncoast Hybrid

On 12/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, Suncoast Hybrid said:

Thanks Bill, I've been thinking I should do something! Have a great CHristmas

My mechanic also said the same thing .. the brakes should get servicing about every 2 years.  They dismantle it all, check wear, relubricate where needed, etc.  I plan on doing it in Spring when I put the summer tread on.

Edited by Cobra348

On 12/26/2023 at 7:35 PM, Cobra348 said:

My mechanic also said the same thing .. the brakes should get servicing about every 2 years.  They dismantle it all, check wear, relubricate where needed, etc.  I plan on doing it in Spring when I put the summer treat on.

Depends on where you live. Salted roads are the worst for anything on the undercarriage.

12 hours ago, MeeLee said:

Depends on where you live. Salted roads are the worst for anything on the undercarriage.

Yup, my only worry down here in Florida is salt water flooding during king tides and hurricanes...

On 12/31/2023 at 10:33 AM, Suncoast Hybrid said:

Yup, my only worry down here in Florida is salt water flooding during king tides and hurricanes...

Once in a while it won't harm much. Best thing you can do, after the water subsides, is to spray the undercarriage with a garden hose.

Last week I bought a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid from the State of Colorado. With 124,700 miles. I suspect based on observation of the rotors they have not replaced the brake pads or rotors. There is little to no lip but the rotor has ridges perhaps from small rocks or sand. I will be doing a 4 wheel brake job with new rotors and pads in a couple of weeks. 

i do have the workshop manual and will follow the replacememt instructions there. I will disconnect the 12v battery before starting work, any other advice?

My 07 Escape Hybrid had to change the rear pads for the first time at 140k miles.  Not because of wear, but because one of the shoes lost its pad.  Still had about 30-40% left on the other shoes.  Fronts still haven't been done and we're over 160k miles.

15 hours ago, jsamp said:

My 07 Escape Hybrid had to change the rear pads for the first time at 140k miles.  Not because of wear, but because one of the shoes lost its pad.  Still had about 30-40% left on the other shoes.  Fronts still haven't been done and we're over 160k miles.

Sounds great, I’m up to 98k now and all is well. After hearing some of these stories I’m not worried anymore.  

I'm at 88,000 miles.  Dealership recommended I change the rear pads about 72,000 and I did it myself which was VERY EASY to do.  It cost me about $28 with premium pads on clearance from Rockauto.  After having done them, it still appeared they had over 30% on them so I think the dealership just wanted to try to make money off me.  The inner pad was worn more than the outer so there was an imbalance. Still work perfectly.  If anyone needs any help on doing their own I can offer that.    It's not hard to check them if you can look at them. 

On 9/7/2024 at 9:03 PM, rjj1000 said:

Last week I bought a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid from the State of Colorado. With 124,700 miles. I suspect based on observation of the rotors they have not replaced the brake pads or rotors. There is little to no lip but the rotor has ridges perhaps from small rocks or sand. I will be doing a 4 wheel brake job with new rotors and pads in a couple of weeks. 

i do have the workshop manual and will follow the replacememt instructions there. I will disconnect the 12v battery before starting work, any other advice?

I’ve never done it, but see the post from Sky14FFH  - says it’s pretty easy.

Remember what I said above about hurricanes? Well Helene got me, car is totaled. Salt water got up inside and fried lots of little things. WHen I opened the door it smelled like melted insulation and electronics were wacky. Couldn’t figure out how to get it into Neutral for the tow truck and the guy just dragged it up onto the flatbed. It was a good car, will miss it. Since they haven’t made any since 2020, I’ll probably be getting a 2-3 tear old Camry Hybrid now. 

On 9/7/2024 at 9:03 PM, rjj1000 said:

Yes you can put the car into brake service or maintenance mode. Turn the key to accessories but don't turn the car on.  Put the transmission in neutral> hold the accelerator pedal down all the way.> then hold the parking brake button down.> then turn the key off and then back on>then put the transmission in park and take the key out. (It is like an old video game cheat code)

Set brakes into maintenance mode

To undo it follow this.

How to exit brake maintenance mode.

Brake Maintenance mode with a push button start

Also, Autozone has a brake caliper loaner tool which you can borrow for free with refundable deposit to compress the caliper pistons.  https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/loaner-disc-brake-caliper-tool/p/oemtools-front-and-rear-disc-brake-pad-spreader-set/298604_0_0

I did my rear brake pads myself and it was the easiest brake job I ever did.   You'll also notice the shocks and the springs are separate on the rear too making replacing them easy as well. I am happy Ford keeps some things simple.

Edited by Sky14FFH

On 9/28/2024 at 6:06 PM, Suncoast Hybrid said:

Remember what I said above about hurricanes? Well Helene got me, car is totaled.

Oh no I am so sorry to read of that.  There was no way to park it in high ground huh?  Hope your insurance helps you.  Crazy how the west side of Florida got hammered the most. How many miles did you have? Here's a nice white one that was listed before the hurricane. 
https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/d/land-lakes-2018-ford-fusion-hybrid/7787933156.html