EKWhit1970

2013 Fusion Hybrid

We are looking at buying a 2013 with 47k miles on it we really love the car. But are also wondering if there are things we need to look out for or watch for. We are guessing an elderly couple owned it from what the dealer said and the milliage on it. We just don't want to get into a position that we are buying a big money pit. We are strongly leaning twards buying. Just want to know the ins and outs. Thank you.

We have a 2013 with almost 100k miles. Easily, by a long shot, the best car we ever bought.

We just put gas in from time to time, and change the oil from time to time. No other problems.

Funny that you posted as I was paying the state property tax. Virginia pegs our ride at $8,550.

Dealers lie all day long, so ignore anything they say. Run a carfax for sure.

For half of the 47k miles, the engine was off.

Dealer here has it listed at 11,998. Other than a few very small scratches and a couple dime size dents it looks brand new. Although the dealer and my self were searching for the spare. No spare. Looks like there should be some tools or something in there as there's a tool compartment with a air compressor in it and several empty compartments. According to the carfax it's been a Michigan car all it's life. Surprisingly no rust.

Me thinks you could do much better than $12k. These are nice cars, but not Ferraris. There are more than a few out there in the wild looking for a new owner.

Ain't no spare from the factory.

Well I don't know we have looked at several used car sites and others. We haven't seen any that look brand new inside and out for the most part. Less than 50,000 miles within 200 miles of us. Found several over 60, 70, 80 ,90 and 100,000 miles. But a 2013 SE under 50,000 nope. Crazy thing is I have seen several older models with way more miles on them priced for way more. So far for value versus miles and looks this is by far the best bang for our buck. They seem to be a hard car to come by in our price range unless we go newer then the price goes up. Plus my wife really loves the one we are looking at. You know what they say. Happy wife happy life.

The 2013-14 FFHs have several problems. They have a transmission bearing problems that may appear anytime during their life. Do not buy one unless it has had the transmission repaired or replaced. If you have a problem out of 8/100k mile warranty it's very expensive. Some also had a mold problem requiring the whole HVAC ducting replacement behind the instrument panel. Some transmissions also leaked oil at the join seam.

The 2013-14 FFHs have several problems. They have a transmission bearing problems that may appear anytime during their life. Do not buy one unless it has had the transmission repaired or replaced. If you have a problem out of 8/100k mile warranty it's very expensive. Some also had a mold problem requiring the whole HVAC ducting replacement behind the instrument panel. Some transmissions also leaked oil at the join seam.

Which is why I waited until the 2015 FFH was released to get mine. Lurked here for six months prior learning about the FFH, then decided to wait for the 2015s.

2015 and 2016 may still have the problem depending on the build date:

This is a partial copy of the build dates of the transmission tsb noise: (I can post the complete article if anybody is interested.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
HF35 Transmission - Thumping/Rubbing Or Grinding Noise - Built On Or Before 15-Aug-2015

18-2328
30 October 2018

This bulletin supersedes 17-0039 .

Model:

Ford

2013-2016 C-MAX Hybrid 2013-2016 Fusion

Lincoln

2013-2016 MKZ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are still reports of transmission issues on later models, maybe not as much as the earlier years, here is a 2018, example:

https://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/19235-2018-fusion-hybrid-titanium-transmission-issue/

Edited by billford

Some history should be repeated. Ford hybrids started with the 2004 Escape. Transmissions for all Ford Motor Co. hybrids through 2012 were built by Aisin, the "Borg Warner" of Japan 50% owned by Toyota. They had very few failures. I have not heard of one. In 2013, Ford brought the manufacture of a "new improved" transmission in-house. They looked identical to the Aisins. Failures immediately began and continue to this day. The newer the hybrid, the fewer failures have been reported but as above 2018 was not exempt. The transmission ( and engine ) must be removed and repaired or replaced. Ford did it under the 8/100k mi. hybrid warranty but not after. There is hardly anything to wear out in these transmissions. No bands, valves, solenoids, clutches, converters; just two AC brushless motors and gears rolling in bearings. It is a bearing that is going bad and it ruins the transmission. Sad story.