dtownslinger

49000 miles and transmission failure

49000 miles and transmission failure. still under warrenty and dealership changing it out right now. anyone else with experience?

scary as I thought the 2017 and up transmissions were fixed. I think i'll be putting amsoil in mine and see if its possible to install a magnetic drain plug since its usually a bearing failure that kills them.

scary as I thought the 2017 and up transmissions were fixed. I think i'll be putting amsoil in mine and see if its possible to install a magnetic drain plug since its usually a bearing failure that kills them.

That's exactly what it was

Edited by dtownslinger

Haven't had a failure in my 2014 but have been changing the trans fluid at least once every 2 years since new regardless of mileage and what the manual says.

Cost is minimal, only 5 quarts, so it's cheap insurance.

Don't really like the low viscosity fluid because it also lubes the differential/final drive, but that's the fluid they use...

And make sure to keep the trans cooler fins clean so it doesn't block any air flow as temperatures higher than normal will degrade the fluid.

Edited by billford

Doesn't hurt to change the Trans fluid, but it probably won't make a difference because if the bearing is defective it's going to fail sooner or later. My first trans lasted 97k miles with 82% HWY driving which seems to be the common theme for all the failures. Given I had Grill Covers on most of the time so I was running 15-20*F hotter trans fluid temps than most others trans fluid temps, mine should have failed a lot sooner. With getting better MPG's means I had less of a load on the Trans so it lasted longer than anyone else at the time. I had my ScanGaugeII at the time and my temps had started going up 3-4k miles before it started to make more noise and then had it replaced. I have 136k miles on new trans with Grill Covers on all the time and no problems yet. :) I believe who ever supplied the defective bearings did a bad heat treating job and it would explain why some where OK and others Not.

Paul