Sign in to follow this  
gmarshall

Pre-Collision Assist w/Pedestrian Detection & Active Braking

I just purchased a new 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum that has the pre-collision assist with pedestrian detection including forward collision warning and brake support & active braking. I don't believe that my pre-collision assist and warning and active braking is working correctly. Does anyone out there that has this same system have any experience with this that can share how this works. I have made sure that the system is turned on and the sensitivity is set to high but I still receive no warnings at all when approaching someone from behind at a higher rate of speed and receive no warnings at all and have to brake before getting to close to them, a car or two lengths behind them. Do other owners out there with the same system getting any warnings or can tell me what they are experiencing with their systems.

I have a '17 so it's fairly close. In Vehicle Settings I believe there is a setting for Auto On/Off for the cruise control. Turn Auto to ON if it isn't. Some of the adaptive abilities - like the distance follow, etc - don't work unless Auto is on. Do this check first.

As I understand it, the precollision warning is a group of flashing red lights in a HUD right in front of you. Your brakes should pre-charge at that point. I can tell you from experience that this thing warns me in plenty of time ... even with a vehicle turning off the road in front of me. I run normal sensitivity. I don't know if this is tied to the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) or not. I wouldn't think so, but stranger things have been done.

When coming up on STOPPED traffic, all bets are off as far as I can determine. The system is way late in detecting you're in potential trouble. It is good for traffic in front slowing and you slowing as well (if ACC is on and set).. The follow distance should be at least 2 seconds (2 bars) ... which requires the cruise to be on/set to work.

As far as pedestrian detection, I have had the cross-traffic alert me when a pedestrian is around with the "vehicle approaching from ..." message. But the person was detected, so I'll allow the "vehicle" part! <smile> FOr one in front, I have not had that situation.

Hope some of this helps.

The system is for emergencies, chances are you are chickening out way before you're in an emergency situation. You should not be attempting to create any situation on the road where the system would come in to play, to get there you have to push the limits way too far.

Thank you Cobra348 for your reply, I have double checked all of the settings and all are set as they should be and in addition I changed the sensitivity setting from normal to high to try to get some type of a response out of this system but I get nothing. The adaptive cruise control works as it should it does maintain a set distance and speed with the vehicle in front of me and will also come to a complete stop in stop and go traffic as advertised. But with my sensitivity set to high you would believe that I would see some type of a warning like you are seeing with vehicles slowing and turning in front of you as you have described.

Waldo I know that you are very knowledgeable about the workings on these vehicles can you please tell me what all sensors would come into play for the pre-collision assist with pedestrian detection including forward collision warning and brake support and active braking?

The system is for emergencies, chances are you are chickening out way before you're in an emergency situation. You should not be attempting to create any situation on the road where the system would come in to play, to get there you have to push the limits way too far.

So the guy in front of me who slams on the brakes to turn "right here" without signaling should be foreseen? At 20 MPH from a dead stop and have that happen to you and see how you like it. It can and does happen because of the unconscious other guys in traffic.

So the guy in front of me who slams on the brakes to turn "right here" without signaling should be foreseen? At 20 MPH from a dead stop and have that happen to you and see how you like it. It can and does happen because of the unconscious other guys in traffic.

You missed my point, I'm saying you shouldn't be trying to get yourself into these situations on purpose just to test the system.

The sensors used are all exactly the same as the adaptive cruise system, basically just the front radar and the camera in the windshield. If your cruise is working just fine, then you can trust that the emergency system will work just fine when you need it.

The system does adjust it's response based on your inputs as well though. So if you're already applying the brake pedal while someone is slowing down in front, it will hold out on the warning longer than if you were still on the gas.

Edited by Waldo

OK thank you both Cobra348 and Waldo for your feedback, just wanting to make sure that my system was working as it should. Since the Adaptive Cruise Control does seem to be working correctly I will assume that my Collision Warning & Assist will work should the need, hopefully never, ever arise.