Linda99

Car needs boost to start in cold weather

See how low the battery voltage drops with a 100 amp load on it. You can buy a 100 amp load tester at Harbor Freight or Ruralking.com for $22 or $15 respectively. Google it. If the voltage drops below 10.3 volts, at 100 amps, the battery is bad. If it does not, there is a load larger than 100 amps from the car on start up. It could be a defective condenser fan motor, the seat heaters, your headlights on high beam on startup, you can track the load down from there by elimination. The 12 volt battery does not start the car like a conventional 12 volt battery. it lives a pampered life of lower loads, being constantly recharged by the high voltage system once the engine is running. I suspect the battery will drop to like lower than 9 volts at 100 amps, which will barely support the ignition system for the plugs and the fuel pump, which would be why the engine won't start. Mine finally failed at 112,000 miles. I charged it, drove 20 miles to the dealer, had them install a new one for $147.

Edited by VonoreTn