dano99487

"Deep Sleep Mode Activated" message

It's your 12V battery. We have more than dozen others with this issue (poor quality 12v batteries from Hermasillo). I have a theory this is happening at a high rate to Platinum trim or Titaniums with some common option that is draining power.

Go to Ford.com and find a "Certified Electric Vehicle Repair" facility in your area. It won't feel right going to another dealer, but for electric issues it is worth it. Ask the senior service manager for the "certified electric tech" But who is the senior service manager? Find out by standing and watching the service writers for a few minutes hiding over in the corner (don't pull your car in yet). The one you want will have a "flock" of other.service writers and mechanics hovering around them. The electric techs are trained by Ford on the Energi models and know the ins and outs for electric vehicles in general.

The electric tech diagnosed the issue (even investigating the 3 Oasis bulletins I gave them). I just had a dead 12v -- no service bulletin. The interesting thing was the service manager told me:

"Joe [the electric tech] ran a special procedure to "marry" the new 12v battery to the Fusion Hybrid -- he even trained the other techs on how to do that. You are lucky we have our.monthly barbecue today or he.wouldnt be here. It's his day off!"

jrethi,

Concerning your window 1up/1down issue. Lots and lots of Ford vehicles have had this issue over recent years. You can find dozens of YouTube videos out there demonstrating how to do the "up and hold", then "down and hold" and repeat procedure. My favorite is the one from several years ago where the guy specifies you have to hold your hand in the window opening while it raises to get it to work.

YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE THAT ISSUE. There is a minor programming issue with many of the 2017 Ford Fusion models. Ask your dealer to check for Oasis SSM 46359 (and also 46491)

Check the last (latest) postings on this thread concerning 2017 models (which don't respond to the up/down up/down up/down procedure "fix")

Edited by stlouisgeorge

Any advice on the "Manual Start" to come out of deep sleep mode? How do you do that?

By the way, this was helpful. I have a 2017 Fusion Hybrid Platinum. I love my car but hadn't had the "deep sleep mode" message previously. I was down for four days after surgery and my car is now dead.... I went to start it today and... No power, no locks, no lights, no nothing. I tried to jump start it, no joy. Tried to disconnect the battery and reconnect, no joy... Now I'm forced to use road side assistance to have my car removed from my garage and transported to the dealer (not a fan of a tow or flat bed for my car).

I'm hoping someone from Ford is monitoring this site and the Engineers are working to resolve this issue. Very disappointing. We're a Ford family... Father and Grandfather retired, I was Detroit born and raise, owned 17 vehicles in the past 29 years, this is my second Hybrid Fusion.

Quick update, While my salesman (same one for the past 10-12 years) had heard of the problem with cars on the lot, he hadn't heard of "deep sleep mode". Neither had the lead technician, neither had the resident hybrid expert.

My tow arrived, the guy had a super charger, hooked it up and the jump worked this time. Immediately got the HEV Alert on FordPass and in the cockpit, regardless... drove it to the dealer, showed them the FordPass messages. The lead tech at the dealer did some research before I got there and came up with the same info I've seen here so they're on it. Hopefully it's just the battery.

On Flat Beds.... I just didn't want to tow my ride.

There are many microprocessors in the car. Most of them are on all of the time. To avoid this problem in the future get a reliable battery charger. that has a maintenance mode, and connect it to the jump points under the hood when you have to leave the car sit unused. Because of its design a wet cell lead acid battery is permanently damaged if allowed to become discharged. It is the wrong battery type for this application. Unfortunately the right battery, an AGM battery, costs about twice as much as the wet cell battery. It can also become discharged but that does not damage an AGM battery. I replaced mine with an AGM battery 3.5 years ago. It wasn't easy as I had to remove the battery tray and cut the end off of it to make it fit and jury rig a way to secure it in place.

It is usually not a problem if the car is driven every day. Mine sometimes sits for a week so it was a problem for me.

I have/had the same two issues, windows and deep sleep mode/car dying. The windows I still have on and off. When I self fix them by holding button down it works for a few weeks then the issue returns.

The bigger issue with deep sleep/car dead has been fixed (so far x-fingers)

1. I took a picture of each of the 7 "deep sleep" notices I got on my ford pass (using my iPhone). Many times the car went into deep sleep mode multiple times a week. Deep sleep should only go into effect when you have not used the car more than 14 days to reserve power. (note: The second time the car died they replaced the battery since it was shown to be low of power). When my car was towed back on the flatbed after the car died for the 3rd time I provided the photos to my service tech who was also surprised of this notice. Photos do a great job of showing them you are not nuts.

2. My car was kept for around 12 days, half of which it was sitting waiting for a hybrid service rep.

3. Once they reviewed the car they found that the radio power stayed on while the car was shut down. You could not hear the radio or see any lights. The power was draining the 12v battery which kicked on the "deep sleep" mode.

4. Its been two months with the car back and no deep sleep notice since.

Have your service rep check the radio and anything else that could stay on that could drain your battery.

We are not alone!

Here are a bunch of "2017 Ford Fusion Dead Battery" discussions to consider. A nice poll over at the Fusion Sport forum..

A well done discussion over at the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport forum on this issue.
View Poll Results: How long has your dead battery Sport been in with the dealer?

Here is a video on the issue for Oasis SSM 46433, & 46395 (CD player drains battery)
2017 Ford Fusion Sport BATTERY DRAIN!

More at the 2G Fusions club..
ACM/Battery Drain Issue - 2017 Fusion

Another..
Dead Battery Syndrome - 2017 Ford Fusion, Explorer, Lincoln MK-Z

Reddit
Ford Fusion Sport 2017 Dead Battery Issue

Edited by stlouisgeorge

I believe my dead battery issue is finally dead. I was away for 8 days with the car sitting idle came back home and it started right up. Looks like they fixed my issue which was the radio not shutting off.

UPDATE!!!!

Just picked up car from dealer...Here is what they did...

Performed parasitic draw test--none found at this time.

Checked Oasis and found SSM 46433& 46128.

Reprogram ACM

Reprogram DDM

Let vehicle sit for two days outside--vehicle starts and shows no sign of a draw.

Basically they did some updates...We ill see what happens... Wish me luck...lol

Hi what is Oasis check?

I believe my dead battery issue is finally dead. I was away for 8 days with the car sitting idle came back home and it started right up. Looks like they fixed my issue which was the radio not shutting off.

Did they do an update to your system or did you just turn off radio manually prior to shutting car off?

2017 FFH Titantium owner.

TL;DR - dead 12v battery on 21k miles, WTH is a manual start, and now no radio/BT connection.

Bought car used with 16900 miles in Sept 2017. Has 21k on it now. Went out in my garage yesterday to run some errands with my son and car was dead, no interior lights, nothing. Car has been suttkng for 3 days and it's been cold, but still car is garage kept. Ford Roadside Assistance wanted me to pay out of pocket for either a tow or jumpstart, so I hung up and called local dealer. They said to call RSA back and get them to get my car running or towed into their shop so yjey could look at it. While i was on phone with them, I found a small trickle charger, so I had my son crawl through back seat to release the trunk manually and I could access 12v battery which I hooked up and immediately got some lights on. Once I had ESA on phone, I went back out to the car and it fired right up, so I cancelled them. Pulled the car out if the garage and let it run while I called dealer and told them we were on the way in.

Dealer took about 30 mins and replaced 12v. So, I left. 1/4 down the street, radio won't come on and there is no bluetooth connection with my phone, so I turn right around. The dealer still has it, and I've got a loaner.

What is a manual start? I've seen posts about it, but can't find details? If my trunk was loaded with stuff, my son would not have been able to crawl through to open the lid for me to access 12v compartment. Is the bare bolt on the left front fender under the hood near the engine compartment fuses REALLY the negative post for jump starting the car?

Sorry for long post. Love my car, but am seriously wondering what I've gotten myself into.

2017 FFH Titantium owner.

TL;DR - dead 12v battery on 21k miles, WTH is a manual start, and now no radio/BT connection.

Bought car used with 16900 miles in Sept 2017. Has 21k on it now. Went out in my garage yesterday to run some errands with my son and car was dead, no interior lights, nothing. Car has been suttkng for 3 days and it's been cold, but still car is garage kept. Ford Roadside Assistance wanted me to pay out of pocket for either a tow or jumpstart, so I hung up and called local dealer. They said to call RSA back and get them to get my car running or towed into their shop so yjey could look at it. While i was on phone with them, I found a small trickle charger, so I had my son crawl through back seat to release the trunk manually and I could access 12v battery which I hooked up and immediately got some lights on. Once I had ESA on phone, I went back out to the car and it fired right up, so I cancelled them. Pulled the car out if the garage and let it run while I called dealer and told them we were on the way in.

Dealer took about 30 mins and replaced 12v. So, I left. 1/4 down the street, radio won't come on and there is no bluetooth connection with my phone, so I turn right around. The dealer still has it, and I've got a loaner.

What is a manual start? I've seen posts about it, but can't find details? If my trunk was loaded with stuff, my son would not have been able to crawl through to open the lid for me to access 12v compartment. Is the bare bolt on the left front fender under the hood near the engine compartment fuses REALLY the negative post for jump starting the car?

Sorry for long post. Love my car, but am seriously wondering what I've gotten myself into.

UPDATE - 12v battery replaced and they replaced the circuit board assembly. They had handwritten notes on my work order and i tried to read a couple of them, but they took the paper away too quickly. This at least got my radio and BT working again. We'll see what happens.