Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Regen Braking Issue When Turning

The only thing I can think of is while turning the inside wheel slows down and the outside wheel speeds up. Is it possible that the car is detecting this as the beginning of a spin of the outside wheel (like on ice) and turning off regen braking so it can initiate ABS braking? I do not believe that it is possible for regen braking and ABS braking to coexist.

This is what I was getting at in my post a ways above, that it's typical for the behavior to occur for me when turning right into a parking space and the wheels are probably turned about 2/3 of their range and it seems like it causes an issue with the inside and outside wheel being so different that the system may not be expecting it (but should be) and considers it a lack of traction and ABS kicks in to release the brake temporarily. It is a bit freaky the first couple times it happens, but now I'm not surprised at it and chalk it up to competing systems being too smart by half.

Our Fusion Energi didn't have this issue until the 15E03 & 14S21 recalls were performed.

That's strange - mine has done it for quite some time and I didn't get the 15E03 and 14S21 until last week.

Until I read all these posts, I didn't think this problem was repeatable, but taking my wife's car through a series of left-hand turns yesterday, we were both able to perceive it nearly every time. (Never felt it on right-hand turns ... yet.) It seems that the intensity of the feeling seems to vary ... it isn't the exact same experience every time. For our car, there was one time (first week of October 2015) that my wife felt it when coming to a straight stop, which she says was the worst of them all.

We've had all the PCM reflashes that were prescribed.

At least we kind of know what it is now from reading through this thread, and can better react when we feel it. Thank goodness this site is here and that everyone is sharing their information. Looking forward to resolution!

I wish I had found this thread before I submitted my NHTSA complaint. I'll have to see if I can go in and edit that to remove the notion of unintended acceleration.

Meagan or FordService ... no posts from you on this since August 25, 2015 ... anything you can add or update?

Thanks.

I wish I had found this thread before I submitted my NHTSA complaint. I'll have to see if I can go in and edit that to remove the notion of unintended acceleration.

Meagan or FordService ... no posts from you on this since August 25, 2015 ... anything you can add or update?

Thanks.

Thanks for reaching out, Dave.

Have you had a chance to swing past your dealer to have this checked out? I may have missed it in skimming your posts. As I'm not a technician, I don't have any in depth information about this, nor can I diagnose or suggest repairs. Your dealer's in the best position to assist; once you have an appointment set up, please let me know.

Meagan

That's very disappointing to hear. My car does this too when I take a corner too fast, but that is the worst possible scenario for this to happen. I nearly missed an exit off the interstate and had to quickly turn while braking. The lack of deceleration is certainly a scary feeling that nearly put my wife into a panic attack.

Prius has had this problem also a while back. The Gen I FFHs do not seem to have it. Very curious.

HB, I'm curious if the engineer's description of the driving was accurate:

THE DRIVING INVOLVED SHARP TURNS AT 15-20 MPH, NEARING AN ABS EVENT. DURING SOME PORTIONS, STEERING ANGLE EXCEEDED 400 DEGREES. THE TRANSITION FEELING WAS MINIMAL AND WAS OCCURRING DUE TO THE AGGRESSIVE TURNING AND BRAKING BEING PERFORMED BY THE CUSTOMER.

was that accurate or was it embellished it to make it sound more severe?

Normally when driving & turning from one street to another I do most of my braking before I begin to turn the wheel, while turning my foot is moving from the brake to the accelerator, and then I'm accelerating before I straighten out the steering wheel. In this scenario I don't feel the surge because there's no need to transition away from regen because I'm not braking with the steering wheel turned.

That is exactly how I brake/turn and I suspect most drivers also do it this way. This probably explains why I have never noticed this phenomenon in my 2015 or maybe my 2015 does not do it.

With the Ford engineer we drove around the cul de sac behind the dealer. I would turn from W 96th St on to Aldrich Ave S. I'd get my speed up to about 20-25 MPH before beginning to brake & turn. I would keep my foot on the brake from just before I started turning the steering wheel all the way until the car came to a stop on Aldrich Ave. I was braking gently, being careful to not exceed the regen limit.

That does not sound like the car was nearing an ABS event as the engineer described it. I think of an ABS event as when the tires begin losing traction and the brakes begin pulsating to regain traction. Maybe my understanding of an ABS event is incorrect.

... I think of an ABS event as when the tires begin losing traction and the brakes begin pulsating to regain traction. Maybe my understanding of an ABS event is incorrect.

I was thinking this same thing, that you are either _in_ an ABS event, or you are _not in_ an ABS event.

I would think that it would take someone a whole lot of ride time, in a whole lot of different cars to know when any particular car is "nearing an ABS event", especially under various different driving conditions. I would think that even within the same model year of FFHs, each FFH would enter into an ABS event at differing points, even with the exact same scenario of driving conditions, which would be practically impossible to replicate exactly twice in a row, even in the same car.

Edited by Hybrider