Shadoweb

First time Hybrid buyer

Because of some recent unresolved problems with transmission failures, i think you should unplug the grille since you are in the US Southern Atlantic Area. It is 84 in SW Fla. today.

Edited by lolder

Well, Hell's Bells, Brian!! Congrats on the new ride! You'll really appreciate it when the gas prices start going back up, and we all know they will! ;)

My plan is to leave it in until we get consitently into the 60's. It's going to be 40's all this week in NC.

I think that is unwise.

He is good until it hits 60*, after that, then it is wise to remove them.

Welcome fellow Zaino Bro! Been using the stuff myself since 99.

Until we know what is causing the transmission failures, I would not assume that grille blocking up to 60 is OK. There are four things being cooled up front: the ICE coolant; the AC condenser; the Electronics coolant and the transmission fluid. This is a complicated system that is using a lot of air and is a compromise like everything else.

Here is an example. Most refrigerators will work only in a certain range of indoor temperatures. If the temperature is too low, the compressor will not run enough to keep the freezer cold if the sensor is in the non-freezer section. In those units with a butter warmer and a crisper, they get confused. The refrigerators are designed assuming certain heat transfers and efficiencies. There are probably refrigerators that you can leave in your mountain cabin but they are designed for that.

The transmission failures are precisely the type of side effect modifying the cooling system might cause. Grille blocking may have nothing to do with it but to me it is not worth the risk.

Edited by lolder

You don't block the grill to keep the ICE warm, you block the grill to reduce drag. That's the whole concept behind the grill shutters that the car already has. The pipe only makes a difference because the shutters are only about 75% efficient.

Really? I thought it was to block frigid winter air from entering the engine area, thereby slowing the dissipation of heat, which would otherwise cause the engine to run to produce heat to warm the cabin. I mean, that's my reason.

Then how come Ford puts active grill shutters on all it's cars, not just the hybrids?

You're assuming that the purpose for active grill shutters, and the intent of owners who utilize grill blocking, are one in the same. I'm suggesting that there are likely dual purposes/intents. Whether or not either is as effective as intended is a different story.