CCalvinN

Disappointing first fill up

Your discrepancy is due to the fillups, and not really the computer. The filler on these cars is goofy, as you can see by quite a few threads regarding fuel tank size. Depending on pump fill rate, angle of car, temps, etc. you can put more or less fuel in at every fill, so one fill clicks off with a not so full tank, next fill fills up more than the last tank by a gallon or more. I gave up long time ago trying to decipher just when it shuts off and just fill to the first click and done, next tank will compensate for shorting, and over a dozen fills it all averages out.

Let it stop automatically all the time. Don't put anymore in. The car computers are 4-5 % high but the odometer is about 2.5% low so the net is 2 % high which is 1 mpg.

Let it stop automatically all the time. Don't put anymore in. The car computers are 4-5 % high but the odometer is about 2.5% low so the net is 2 % high which is 1 mpg.

Totally agree. I was playing the click game for a while, but eventually convinced myself it was pointless. It may even be counterproductive...

I figured this would be a good time to update this thread. I now have over 18,000 miles on Ginger. The summer months have been very good to my MPG. Fuelly now reports the complete average as 41.2 mpg, while Ginger herself reports 43.2 mpg. I don't think I'll get that up to 43.3 mpg before the cooler temps take their due.

Unfortunately I won't get a full year of consistent driving to test out my newfound hybrid happy driving techniques in the winter. If you recall, I bought the car in February and was surprised at how low the fuel economy was. I now believe that a very good portion of that low economy was due to my driving technique. In two weeks, however, I'm changing work locations. My daily near 100 mile commute is going to change to a daily 13 mile commute. Where almost my entire drive to and from work now is on a long stretch of 55 mph 'highway', it's going to shift to either all city traffic or a majority 75 mph stretch of interstate. Either of which alone would change the mpg. The worrying part to me is that with such a short commute Ginger will barely get out of the 'warm up' stage and will therefore drink a lot of gas.

But hey... instead of filling up once a week, I should be able to go over a month between fill ups! If I really like this job, I may look at trading out Ginger for a Fusion Energi. I'd absolutely LOVE getting the majority of my trip from electrons instead of hydrocarbons!

You'll be driving at higher speeds where the ICE should run anyway despite the 86 mph max EV limit. Above about 40-50 mph the ICE is more efficient. Let us know what happens.

I stopped trying to be consistent at the pump. I just pump, record the results, and drive on. This car is so sensitive to variables, that it makes it very difficult to make precise correlations. Basically, for me, it's highly efficient in warmer weather and less so when cold. That, and other factors...

Edited by md13ffhguy