Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

FFH factoids & parts quiz

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

This sounds expensive.

Not exactly what was used on these...

12_7_231.gif

LOL!

• corncobs likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#122 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,834 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

$1700-2000 on 2010+s. There's a class action lawsuit on it and a NHTSA case.

http://www.aboutlaws...s-action-67309/

#123 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Did someone mention the A/C system?

NOTE: The following is general information only and and may not be complete.  This information is for discussion only and not to be used for problem solving with your specific car.  This information is not intended to replace or supersede any warranty, parts and service policy, Work Shop Manual (WSM) procedures or technical training or wiring diagram information. Seek qualified automotive help if your car is having drive-ability problems.

==

A/C Electric Compressor

The variable-speed A/C electric compressor and the Air Conditioning Control Module (ACCM) are powered by the high-voltage battery system. The ACCM is an integral part of the A/C electric compressor and cannot be removed from or serviced separately. The A/C electric compressor allows for A/C operation to continue even when the vehicle is in full electric mode and the gasoline engine is not running.

A/C Condenser

The A/C condenser is an aluminum fin-and-tube design heat exchanger. It cools compressed refrigerant gas by allowing air to pass over fins and tubes to extract heat, and condenses gas to liquid refrigerant as it is cooled. The receiver/drier is integral to the A/C condenser.

Receiver Drier

The receiver drier stores high-pressure liquid and the desiccant bag mounted inside the receiver drier removes any retained moisture from the refrigerant.

The receiver drier element is incorporated onto the LH side of the A/C condenser. The receiver drier element can be separately removed and installed with the A/C condenser in the vehicle.

Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV)

The Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) is located at the evaporator core inlet and outlet tubes at the center rear of the engine compartment. The TXV provides a restriction to the refrigerant flow and separates the low-pressure and high-pressure sides of the refrigerant system. Refrigerant entering and exiting the evaporator core passes through the TXV through 2 separate flow paths.

An internal temperature sensing bulb senses the temperature of the refrigerant flowing out of the evaporator core and adjusts an internal pin-type valve to meter the refrigerant flow into the evaporator core. The internal pin-type valve decreases the amount of refrigerant entering the evaporator core at lower temperatures and increases the amount of refrigerant entering the evaporator core at higher temperatures.

Edited by GrySql, 17 October 2015 - 08:02 PM.

• hybridbear, gkinla and Hybrider like this
The Time Machine....

#124 OFFLINE   hikyuuri

hikyuuri

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 37 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:23 AM

Factoid:

Creep Mode
The hybrid electric system delivers torque to the wheels to mimic the creep mode normally found on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. The TCM commands a predetermined amount of torque to be delivered to the output shafts of the electronically controlled transmission. This torque is delivered from the combination of the internal combustion engine, the traction motor, or the generator motor. The maximum creep speed in forward or reverse direction is about 6 km/h (4 mph). The creep speed may vary slightly if ambient temperature, altitude, relative humidity, engine temperature, or weight of the vehicle changes.

I believe also that when you stop the car with the brake, the torque is not applied so you are not wasting electricity from the "creep" torque.

I've wondered about that, but have no idea how to find out.

Since braking uses the traction motor for regen there is no creep fighting against braking. 

Creep mode appears to vary power to mimic braking, unless you want to stop.

For example. if you are "idling" (no pressure on gas or brake pedals), you will roll forward at a constant rate of speed.  If you apply the gas, you go faster (obviously).  If you apply the brake to reduce acceleration, but not to stop (such as in traffic), the service brakes do not apply, but power output is reduced to simulate one "riding the brakes" in a regular car.  If you press the brake harder to actually stop, the traction motor stops outputting power and the service brakes apply, stopping the vehicle.

You can "feel" this by doing the following:

Find a decent upwards bump in the road, like a sloped curb for a driveway, or a speedbump.  Be sure that this bump is the only slope in the road (don't do this on a hill), and its a decent bump (the steeper/bigger it is, the better for this testing).  Keeping your foot on the brake pedal, roll forwards towards this bump until your front wheels come in contact with it.  Keep your foot on the brake to an extent where the vehicle doesn't "creep" over the obstacle, but it also doesn't roll backwards (if possible).

Slowly, take pressure off of the brake pedal till the vehicle starts to move forward.  If you do it slowly enough, you will feel a pulsating sensation.  This is the Traction Motor pulsing power to simulate creep.  If you take your foot off the brake further, the pulses go faster (or just become constant power), and you move over the obstacle.  If you brake harder, the pulses decrease, and you slightly roll backwards (if you started to climb the bump).

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#125 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

Summer is over, GrySql. When do classes resume?

#126 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:35 PM

I just noticed that our Moderator pay raise finally got here.  ;) 

Okay :salute: --- point me in a direction, what did we leave out?

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....

#127 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

I thought the 2015-2016 Ford Wrecker Towing Manual had some interesting info for the Tow Truck operators.

NOTE: The following is general information only and and may not be complete.  This information is for discussion only and not to be used for problem solving with your specific car.  This information is not intended to replace or supersede any warranty, parts and service policy, Work Shop Manual (WSM) procedures or technical training or wiring diagram information. Seek qualified automotive help if your car is having drive-ability problems.

==

In the event of damage or fire involving an Electric Vehicle (EV) or Hybrid-Electric Vehicle (HEV):

• Always assume the high voltage (HV) battery and associated components are energized and

fully charged

• Exposed electrical components, orange HV cables/wires and HV batteries present potential

HV shock hazards

• Venting/off-gassing of HV lithium ion battery vapors are potentially toxic and flammable

• There is a potential for delayed fire or delayed release of toxic and/or flammable gases with

lithium-ion batteries
    Vehicle Shutdown and HV System Disabling

• Advise your dispatcher and all other responders that an electric or hybrid-electric vehicle is involved.

• Always approach the vehicle from the sides to stay out of potential travel path. It may be difficult

to determine if the vehicle is running due to lack of engine noise.

• Place vehicle into P (Park), set the parking brake, turn the vehicle off, activate hazard lights, and

remove keys to a distance at least 16 feet from the vehicle until loading the vehicle for transport.

• If you detect leaking fluids, sparks, smoke, flames, increased temperature, gurgling, popping or

hissing noises from the HV battery compartment, ventilate the passenger area and call 911.

====

post-11309-0-92634800-1443587622_thumb.p

====

The Manual:

Attached File  Wrecker-Towing-Guide.pdf   646.87KB   4 downloads

Edited by GrySql, 17 October 2015 - 08:02 PM.

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....

#128 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 517 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

PDF link returns permission error.  Can't download it (wrecker tow guide).

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#129 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

PDF link returns permission error.  Can't download it (wrecker tow guide).

Try the bottom one...

The Time Machine....

#130 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 517 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

THAT wasn't there before! ;) Only the one that shows as "final"!

The bottom one does work properly, though.  Thanks!

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#131 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

THAT wasn't there before! ;) Only the one that shows as "final"!

The bottom one does work properly, though.  Thanks!

Haha..  I added that after your comment to see which worked for you, thanks for being the official download tester!  thanks_zps13671873.gif

The Time Machine....

#132 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

FFH Factoids are available again because of a huge outpouring of public support!! 

(Well, actually, it's all Texasota's fault...)

==
Parking Brake - Overview
The parking brake system uses 2 switch activated, Electronic Control Unit (ECU) controlled motors to apply and release the rear brake calipers. The ABS module controls and monitors the parking brake system and sets Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) when a fault is present in the system. The IPC illuminates the parking brake warning indicator and displays a message in the message center when a fault is present, when the parking brakes are applied and when they are released.
Parking Brake and Actuation
The ABS module monitors and controls the parking brake system. The ABS module sends a reference voltage to the parking brake switch. When the driver moves the parking brake switch to the APPLY position, the reference voltage is sent back to the ABS module indicating an APPLY request. The ABS module then determines from sensor inputs if the parking brakes can be applied and sends voltage to the parking brake actuator motors. Once the parking brakes are fully applied, the ABS module sends a message to the IPC which illuminates the red BRAKE warning indicator. If the red BRAKE warning indicator is already illuminated due to a non-parking brake concern, the IPC displays PARK BRAKE APPLIED in the message center. When the driver moves the parking brake switch to the RELEASE position, the reference voltage is sent back to the ABS module indicating a RELEASE request. The ABS module then determines from sensor inputs and CAN messages (ignition state and brake pedal input) if the parking brakes can be released and sends voltage to the parking brake actuator motors. Once the parking brakes are fully released, the ABS module sends a message to the IPC which extinguishes the red BRAKE warning indicator. If the red BRAKE warning indicator cannot be extinguished due to a non-parking brake concern, the IPC displays PARK BRAKE RELEASED in the message center.
Automatic Release
The parking brake is designed to automatically release under the following circumstances:
    •    the driver door must be closed.
    •    the driver safety belt must be fastened.
    •    the engine must be running or the green Ready-to-Drive indicator must be illuminated.
    •    the transmission must be in any forward gear or REVERSE.
Once all the conditions have been met, the parking brake releases automatically when the accelerator pedal is pressed. A vehicle driving away up an incline requires more accelerator pedal input than a vehicle driving away down an incline.

Component Description:
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module
The ABS module is attached directly to the HCU and is the electronic control unit for the parking brake system. The ABS module monitors all switch inputs, sensor inputs and HS-CAN messages that relate to the parking brake system, then directly controls the parking brake actuator motors. The ABS module also sets Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in the event that a system or component failure should occur. 

Parking Brake Actuator Motor
The parking brake actuator motors are single speed reversible electric motors mounted on the rear brake calipers. The motors can be serviced separately from the calipers.
Parking Brake Switch
The parking brake switch is a 3 position switch with 2 sets of 3 internal micro switches, one set is for APPLY and one set is for RELEASE. The 3 switch positions are APPLY (pulled up), NEUTRAL (at rest or static) and RELEASE (pushed down).

Edited by GrySql, 17 October 2015 - 08:03 PM.

• hybridbear, corncobs and Texasota like this
The Time Machine....

#133 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:00 PM

FFH Factoids are available again because of a huge outpouring of public support!! 

(Well, actually, it's all Texasota's fault...)

Hey!  I see that even though it is a microscopic font size :detective:

This is a great topic choice, GrySql.  When I first learned that our FFHs had these electric emergency brakes my first concern was how reliable and trouble free are they going to be. The "old fashioned" hand (or foot) operated cable system had their own set of problems especially in geographic regions where winter road salt can lead to corrosion of the emergency brake cables. I have had to replace/repair these cable systems on multiple cars.  I vaguely remember Waldo pointing this out in a thread somewhere. Time will tell if these "new fashioned" brake systems prove reliable.

But, I am left wondering if there is a way to manually override this system and release the emergency brake in the event of a failure? Waldo, what do we do if the brakes break when the brakes are applied?

Edited by Texasota, 10 October 2015 - 12:03 PM.

#134 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

Parking Brake - Overview
The parking brake system uses 2 switch activated, Electronic Control Unit (ECU) controlled motors to apply and release the rear brake calipers. The ABS module controls and monitors the parking brake system and sets Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) when a fault is present in the system. The IPC illuminates the parking brake warning indicator and displays a message in the message center when a fault is present, when the parking brakes are applied and when they are released.
Parking Brake and Actuation
The ABS module monitors and controls the parking brake system. The ABS module sends a reference voltage to the parking brake switch. When the driver moves the parking brake switch to the APPLY position, the reference voltage is sent back to the ABS module indicating an APPLY request. The ABS module then determines from sensor inputs if the parking brakes can be applied and sends voltage to the parking brake actuator motors. Once the parking brakes are fully applied, the ABS module sends a message to the IPC which illuminates the red BRAKE warning indicator.
Automatic Release
The parking brake is designed to automatically release under the following circumstances:
    •    the driver door must be closed.
    •    the driver safety belt must be fastened.
    •    the engine must be running or the green Ready-to-Drive indicator must be illuminated.
    •    the transmission must be in any forward gear or REVERSE.
Once all the conditions have been met, the parking brake releases automatically when the accelerator pedal is pressed. A vehicle driving away up an incline requires more accelerator pedal input than a vehicle driving away down an incline.

I have grown to really like the electronic parking brake. It would be even better if it were automatic. I find it interesting that our cars with the eCVT have the equivalent of a parking pawl that is engaged when shifting to Park with the gear selector. Even the Focus Electric has a way that the "transmission" is locked when in Park. Tesla's don't have anything like that, their cars just automatically engage the Parking Brake when shifting into Park. They don't have a separate Parking Brake switch. I wonder if other EVs will be designed that way in the future.

Waldo, what do we do if the brakes break when the brakes are applied?

This is an awesome sentence! :drool: :thumbsup: :rating:

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#135 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,834 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Give me a break !

#136 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

the noticeable time lag from when you turn the key to the "ready to drive" message.

I see about a two second lag before the message appears, BUT the car is ready to drive nearly instantaneously after I turn the key (before the message appears).

Edited by mwr, 11 August 2018 - 07:51 PM.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#137 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

I see about a two second lag before the message appears, BUT the car is ready to drive nearly instantaneously after I turn the key (before the message appears).

Wow, that post was a long time ago. Had to go back several pages to find the context of the discussion. You must have been bored or else lots of free time!

#138 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

Wow, that post was a long time ago. Had to go back several pages to find the context of the discussion. You must have been bored or else lots of free time!

Not really. Somehow that prior message appeared (don't remember how) so I replied now :-)

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·