GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

The CVT in the Freestyle is a concoction of sheeves and chains. Not many moving parts in it, but it is interesting in its own way. Surprised they last as long as they do with the metal chain on metal sheeve.

Transmission Identification Block

The SOBDMC/TCM* (HEV/PHEV) contains a memory area called a transmission identification block.

The transmission identification block commonly stores solenoid body flow data.

If the solenoid body information is not correct, transaxle damage or drivability concerns can occur.

Interesting find, GrySql. I wonder if the controlling software is able to detect when the information is not correct and display a yellow wrench warning and store a code.

I don't believe there are any solenoids in the eCVT like there are in automatic transmissions. There is no change of gear engagement. Nothing "shifts". The failures we have heard of recently are "noisy, grinding sounds" which is most likely mechanical.

The CVT in the Freestyle is a concoction of sheeves and chains. Not many moving parts in it, but it is interesting in its own way. Surprised they last as long as they do with the metal chain on metal sheeve.

Yes, there are a lot of that type around now. I wonder why they don't get groves worn in them?

I don't know if you're familiar with computers, but to me, it would be kind of like updating the BIOS file, and the system verifies that it is the correct BIOS file for the motherboard before it will let you download it to the computer. Once it's been verified and downloaded, there's no reason to check it anymore because it's been determined to be the proper code. So, IMO, the car wouldn't display a message or put up an icon because the code has to be correct to exist in the TCM in the first place.

I interpreted GrySql's original post differently:

The transmission identification block commonly stores solenoid body flow data.

If the solenoid body information is not correct, transaxle damage or drivability concerns can occur.

I read that as data that is being collected during operation of the transmission (as opposed release/level identification of the controlling software). Of course all of our posts here are only speculation. But, very interesting speculation.

Edited by Texasota

Yes, there are a lot of that type around now. I wonder why they don't get groves worn in them?

From what I have seen of it, the chain has plastic on the edges that contact the sheeves, so no metal on metal contact.

Great information, GrySql. A couple of things caught my attention:

12V Battery Charging System

NOTICE: When any vehicle module is being programmed, connect an external battery charger to make sure the module programming is completed without interruption due to the load shedding feature becoming active. The external battery charger must maintain a system voltage above 13 volts. This may require a charger setting higher than the lowest charge setting. The external battery charger negative connection must be made to an engine or vehicle chassis ground and not the negative battery terminal. If the connection is to the negative battery terminal, load shedding may begin and module programming may be corrupted. After charging has begun, start the engine to clear any load shed states and then turn the engine off and proceed with programming.

I recently had two recall notices taken care of on my 2015 FFH (instrument panel reprogramming recall and PCM reprogramming recall). I watched them when they did this. The hood was closed and the trunk was closed while their laptop computer (sitting on the passenger seat) performed the reprogramming tasks. There was no external battery charger hooked up to my car. I would not be surprised if the above warning notice is routinely ignored.

Battery Monitoring Sensor

External customer loads must only be connected to the vehicle at the customer battery connection point. If an external customer load is connected at the negative battery post, the Battery Monitoring Sensor accuracy cannot be guaranteed. It is recommended that the Battery Monitoring Sensor pole clamp is not removed unless a battery replacement is required. Should the battery need to be isolated, this should be done by disconnecting the ground eyelet at the chassis ground.

This would seem to suggest I should not ever try to hookup my inverter to the FFH. An inverter should always be connected to the battery with very heavy gauge cables with a minimum length. Connecting an inverter to the battery terminals under the hood (a bad idea) would likely result in very poor inverter performance or damage to the car or damage to the inverter or both.

I recently had two recall notices taken care of on my 2015 FFH (instrument panel reprogramming recall and PCM reprogramming recall). I watched them when they did this. The hood was closed and the trunk was closed while their laptop computer (sitting on the passenger seat) performed the reprogramming tasks. There was no external battery charger hooked up to my car. I would not be surprised if the above warning notice is routinely ignored.

My Z just had a bunch of reprogramming done to it (yes, everything is still a-ok!). When I went to snoop on its progress I saw the tech had the hood up and a battery charger attached. The SA told me they do that for all hybrids so the programming doesn't get interrupted by a discharged battery. :)

Thanks for the post on the fuel system. This reminded me that the fuel system (and the audio system) were the only two areas where the 2015 April issue of Consumer Reports showed trouble spots for the FFH. The owner reported data (from the annual car survey sent to subscribers) resulted in the lowest rating for the fuel system in the 2013 FFH. The 2014 FFH fuel system showed improvement but still not a top rating. The audio system received poor ratings for both the 2013 and 2014.

Edited by Texasota