Go test drive a Hybrid.

My wife consistently gets above 40 mpg with normal driving. In the winter we drop to 38 - 40 mpg.

She drives 20 miles to work each day with 15 of those being on the interstate.

You will learn how to achieve a high mpg after driving a hybrid.

Go drive one and let us know what you think.

I can't disagree much with the above posts. I traded my 2012 Focus in on a 2015 FFH last August and have been extremely pleased so far. This is my first hybrid and during the first 4500 miles it was fairly easy to achieve ~44-45 MPG average (actual, not trip computer). About 60% of those miles are highway miles driving around 55-63 MPH. I just filled up two days ago and that tank dropped to 39.1 MPG (actual) because of our very cold Minnesota November. As Easy Rider said, all cars do significantly worse in cold weather (especially for short trips) and that was certainly true of my Focus. But, 39.1 MPG was much better than what my 2012 Focus would have achieved under the same conditions and also much better than what a gas Fusion would have achieved.

This forum has numerous members that are serious hybrid enthusiasts and maximizing MPG is a fun and challenging pursuit for them. I have learned a lot from them. But, one might get the wrong impression from some of the threads that extraordinary driving techniques are required to get good results (I am proof that is not true). Some of us also think they may be a little obsessed and could benefit from group therapy. ;)

Our FFH is my wife's car. She is the primary driver and she has no problem keeping the MPGs up. When I do drive it, I can also keep the MPGs up. It is a very easy car to drive and you will understand its quirks in no time. There are many ways to squeeze out out MPGs as many of the members here can attest.

Buy iy and you will feel relaxed driving it. You will enjoy it.

There is another economic factor with hybrids you rarely see discussed. Driving primarily city runs the FFH gas engine about half the time. So with 100k on the odometer the gas engine will have about 50k accumulated. Something to consider if you expect to hit those miles before trading.