mwr

I bought a 2013-14 Ford Focus Mini Spare Tire/Wheel off ebay

What will I be missing functionally by not having the foam thingy, whatever it is?

Do you have the jack and lug wrench assembly?

Would the correct size foam pillars be found with a jack and lug wrench? From what cars?

The thread on spare tires discusses this but I think it concluded that the spare tire kit from a non-hybrid Fusion (2013+) or a spare tire kit from a 2012+ Ford Focus both work fine. I found the entire kit from a wrecked 2013 Fusion.

Don't know but I assume that you would get a new trunk floor with the appropriate pillars ONLY if you order the whole "kit" from Ford.

The pillars are glued firmly to the piece of fiberboard that makes the trunk floor.

Not sure I follow the discussion about pillars. My spare tire kit (tire/wheel, jack, lug wrench and the foam packing block) fits perfectly in the spare tire wheel well. The original fiber board that makes the trunk floor rests on top of it very nicely (no low or high spots).

OK, my mini wheel and tire arrived and seem to be in great shape. I "installed" it as best I could in the trunk. The pics below show the results. The following statements describe the results. Are those results what others get?

There's no room for the compartmented "insert" which will now go into my storage locker. Right?

The round-on-top long bolt that held the compartmented insert in place won't fasten with the spare in place, so there's nothing holding the spare in place except weight. Right?

I obtained the entire spare tire kit which included the tire/wheel, jack, and lug wrench and the retention bolt. The foam block that came with the kit secures the jack and lug wrench and the retention bolt worked perfectly with the bolt attachement point you see there in your wheel well.

Correct, the old foam block witht he compressor will no longer fit in your wheel well. I stored it in the garage.

Lots of extra room in that space with a standard donut spare tire vs the one with the larger tire that matches my 18" OEM wheel diameter.

Not that it matters now that we know either will work fine for an emergency.

The spare mwr just got, look at the space on the left side (red arrow).

I used that extra room around the spare to store jumper cables, a quart of motor oil, a small tool kit and a few other odds and ends. Mwr, you have a good start but that spare won't help you without the proper jack and lug wrench.

Long ago GrySql posted a great suggestion to print the pages from the owner's manual of a gas Fusion that documents the procedures for jacking up the car and mounting the spare tire. Those instructions do not exist in the FFH owner's manual but the procedure is exactly the same for our FFHs. I printed them off and store them in my owner's manual.

Edited by Texasota

Not so. There's always (usually) AAA :-)

Yes, that works assuming you don't mind being stranded on the roadside waiting for AAA and also assuming the AAA roadside assist truck has the ability to jack up your FFH without damaging it and I would not bet on that. Overall, your new spare is not very useful without a jack and lug wrench.