Griswald

Efficiency on longer highway trips...

The cars are always using a little EV. It's the amount that matters. I have a straight flat highway with a 50 mph limit in Naples, FL. Except it's not flat. Down here, instead of crowning some roads for runoff, they undulate it. The road goes up and down about 1 1/2 feet every few hundred yards. Most people don't notice it and if they do they think it's sloppy construction. It's not, it's planned as at each low point there are drain culverts at the roadside. As I traverse these roads in my 2010 on cruise control, EV charges and discharges very slightly with the grade change. It's important enough to keep the ICE at a steady load and operating condition that they use EV to smooth it out. It's when you get a complete round trip through the EV path of generate-charge-discharge-motor that the big losses occur. They are about 30% in Gen1 and are probably only about 20% in Gen 2. So when the 35% maximum ICE efficiency drops 30% ( 10.5% ) to about 25%, that's the threshold point to begin using full EV cycling.

Edited by lolder

I know the final drive ratio is different between my 2013 C-Max and 2014 Fusion Hybrid. C-Max is 2.57 and the Fusion is 2.56.

I read somewhere Ford stated changing the final drive ratio on the 2014 models was one of the planned improvements.

It isn't easy, it took me weeks to develop it, and I drive 100 miles a day 5 days a week. Now it comes second nature.

What is the fuel consumed to recharge the HVB after depleting it running in EV? This has the largest impact that can be seen on the instant. For me when the ice is doing a consistent 45+MPG at 60 MPG, and not 20 to recharge the HVB after going a mile in EV seems more efficient.

At lower speeds where you can also recapture energy by braking, running EV does seem to be the best solution. Just for tests next week I will use the cruise set at 60 for my daily drives and compare the results to what I have been getting. Hopefully mornings wont be very hot, but the afternoons are supposed to be upper 80's+ this week, so hard to do an honest comparison due to the temp differences.

well I did a test this morning, Temps were about the same as last week, traffic about the same, took the same route I normally take, only difference was I used cruise control. Note I have the Adaptive cruise, so it adjusts speeds according to what is in front of me, otherwise its the same as all the rest. There were two instances where the cruise applied braking, where I would have been lifting and gliding instead, so other than that, everything is pretty much the same.

End result, 47.8 MPG. Its roughly 1 MPG less than what I have been getting. For 1 MPG, I think I wont bother with trying to stay on ICE, and just use the dang cruise instead. I will have more information by the end of the week as I will continue my test the entire week.

My resluts from this weekend.

I drove from St Charles, MO to Chicago, IL on the most awe inspiring Interstae 55 and had these results

Drive from St Charles, MO to Chicago, IL

- Drove with ACC on

- Drafted behind semis for about 150 miles of the 312 miles at a speed of 73 mph

- I did not try to stay in or out of EV mode, just let the car decide what it wanted to do

- Mileage was 45.1 for northbound trip

Drive from Chicago, IL to St Charles, MO

- Drove with ACC on

- Drafted behind semis for a minimal amount of miles, maybe 10.

- Set cruise at 73 mph

- I did not try to stay in or out of EV mode, just let the car decide what it wanted to do

- Mileage was 43.1 for northbound trip

Can't complain about results.

The best I have found is being 2 bars on ACC behind a flatbed semi. Sets you back just the proper distance for safety(2 second rule) and still allows you to ride in the wake to take advantage of the draft.

The winds in the morning have been pretty consistent, light, usually out of the north or south, which has little effect since I am driving mostly east. I didn't mention it since it wasn't a factor. Winds dont normally become an issue until later in the day. The morning drive is between 6:30 and 7:30, and traffic is nearly always the same, so makes for a good consistent test. The only variable are the traffic lights, some I breeze through others tend to be spotty. Usually the ones that turn red are at the bottom of a valley, so slowing down requires more braking than Regen can capture, then have to climb up a hill from a dead stop. The problem with two of these lights is you can never tell if they will turn red, or stay green, sometimes when I expect it to stay green, they turn red, with no cross traffic, other times with cross traffic I expect it to turn red and it stays green. Mucks with the brake score for sure.

My trip home on cruise, with AC on was not that good, I could have done much better manually, managed only to get 41.5,

Oh you mean like the controlled environment used by Ford to determine EPA? :)

These are what are classified as Observations, nothing more, were they Opinions, then you could jump all over me. They are only observations that I see in my particular car, on my particular daily drive, with my particular driving style. The majority of people who read what Larry posts will go right over their heads, eyes glazed over, and will be meaningless.

The OP asked for best way to achieve high MPG on the highway. Based on my observations and a few others, we gave tips on how to do it. My particular style, where I maximize the use of ICE over EV at speed greater than 50 MPH vs. the use of Cruise control was what I was explaining. So far my observation is on the first test the end result going to work, where my MPG has been a very consistent 47-49 MPG every day when it is not raining when I do not use cruise, and the one day I did use cruise I found the MPG to be very close. However on my return trip where traffic is poor, and a lot of red lights, using cruise turned out to be 3-4 MPG below what I would normally see. Going home is usually a 44 MPG trip, and the trip last night was 41.5.

Again, this was just an observation in the real world where 2/3rds of my trip is at 55-60 MPH, with my driving style. No scientific data, or facts, just a simple, this is how I get 47 MPG driving the FFH on the highway.