Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Road Noise on MKZ

Noise road noise

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Melvin Prescott

Melvin Prescott

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

In January we bought a 2010 MKZ with less than 10,000 miles. I'm generally happy with the car except for the road noise. It starts about 45 mph and gets louder as speed increases. We have installed sound-deadening material in the trunk, over the wheel wells and under the back seat. This made noise from the front of the car louder.

On rough interstate concrete surfaces vibration comes into the car through the vibration of the front floor pans. When the road goes to smooth asphalt - it is very quiet. The car has Michelin energy saver A/S tires. Are they too hard? I run about 30 psi in the tires. The sticker says 33 psi.

Are the 2014 models of fusion/MKZ noisy? If not, why not? Are the body support isolators larger? Softer? Different tires? Any recommendations?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,463 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

Starting in the 2013 Fusion models the car has Active Noise Cancellation.  I've never seen an MKZ but the electrical schematics for the Fusion also include the MKZ so I think the MKZ also has ANC starting in 2013. 

Running tire pressure lower than the recommended pressure will result in increased flexing of the sidewall leading to heat buildup in the tire.  How much noise does a flexing sidewall make?

#3 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

two things that can make the noise you describe, first would be tires, the other wheel bearings. I would have the bearings inspected, they can be pretty loud at high speeds, however, when you describe the road surface, it sounds like tires to me.  My tires on the 13 HyTi thump, and are pretty annoying.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 656 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

I had a problem with the alignment that caused the tires to wear and make noise. Got it fixed and reversed the rotation  so tires are wearing the opposite way and the noise has decreased some the last 25k miles. New tires would solve the problem, but decided to live with it until they needed to be replaced, they are very expensive. I run 49psi. don't think it makes a significant difference in noise factor. :)  

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#5 OFFLINE   Melvin Prescott

Melvin Prescott

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Thank you for the responses.  

ANC?  What problem was Ford trying to fix with ANC - wind or tire/road noise? 

I have a friend with a 2010 Taurus I will compare with my MKZ.  The suspensions can't be that much different.  My lower control arms are within inches of the body supports in a very tight space.  I would think the Taurus is similar.  

#6 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

Thank you for the responses.  

ANC?  What problem was Ford trying to fix with ANC - wind or tire/road noise? 

I have a friend with a 2010 Taurus I will compare with my MKZ.  The suspensions can't be that much different.  My lower control arms are within inches of the body supports in a very tight space.  I would think the Taurus is similar.  

I believe that the ANC is mostly designed to reduce engine noise, especially the odd sounds that the hybrid makes when turing the ICE on & off.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#7 OFFLINE   gemdc

gemdc

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Platinum White, Dune
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

I would rate my 2014 Lincoln MKZh quieter than average on road noise.  I had a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid then a 2013 FFH.  There was a big improvement from the 2010 to the 2013 and another big improvement to the 14 MKZh.  My only complaint on noise is the drone the hybrid gas engine makes on heavy acceleration.  Even the Lincoln can't keep this motor quiet.  Think it is intake noise due to the "Atkinson" cycle blow back of the intake charge into the light weight (maybe it's not really plastic) intake manifold tubes.  Wish these motors did not remind me of lawnmower engines with all the plastic they use.  I know - they are saving weight but good old cast alloy intakes look better and would probably be quieter. 

243968.png

(for comparison, my previous vehicle)

168733.png

#8 OFFLINE   vett93

vett93

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

I had some sound deadening materials put on the front doors and front floors. They measure about 3dB sound level reduction when I drive on the freeway at around 75mph. 3dB is not a lot. We need about 10dB reduction to notice the noise is half as loud. I am still researching other materials to put on.

Tire noises are annoying indeed.

Mustang LX -> Firebird TA -> Corvette LT-1 -> BMW 7-series w/ M-Sports -> Mitsu EVO MR -> Fusion Energi Titanium 

#9 OFFLINE   Phillip Wooden

Phillip Wooden

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

two things that can make the noise you describe, first would be tires, the other wheel bearings. I would have the bearings inspected, they can be pretty loud at high speeds, however, when you describe the road surface, it sounds like tires to me.  My tires on the 13 HyTi thump, and are pretty annoying.

Question regarding a wheel bearing. If the Wheel Bearing was bad, wouldn't it make the noise all the time, and not just above 45. I had a wheel bearing go bad at 25k and they replaced the hub assembly on the passenger side. All is quiet and I have no noise whatsoever until I hit 45 or above like they stated and it is also dependent on the road as well. Besides being maybe just the tires, could it be a small amount of suspension play as well due to maybe a tire being out of balance? Steering wheel or car doesn't vibrate beyond the normal small stuff (no wheel is ever perfectly balanced). I'm the farthest thing from a mechanic and I really don't want to go back to a dealer. All information would be helpful.

#10 OFFLINE   devinron

devinron

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • My Hybrid's Year:2012

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

The bearings could have been done poorly. I would bring it back to the mechanic/shop.

#11 OFFLINE   sschnath

sschnath

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 34 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Did you ever resolve this?

I just started having the thumping issue. Sounds like it's the right front. Originally thought it was the Pirelli tires but rotated the tires this morning and sound didn't move with the tires. The thumping and hum pick up at 45 and get louder as the car goes faster. Sound gets louder when the wheel turns in either direction. Certainly behaving like a bad bearing but doesn't sound like any other bad bearing I've heard before.

Car was already scheduled for service tomorrow and will be having them take a look at this while it's there.

Question regarding a wheel bearing. If the Wheel Bearing was bad, wouldn't it make the noise all the time, and not just above 45. I had a wheel bearing go bad at 25k and they replaced the hub assembly on the passenger side. All is quiet and I have no noise whatsoever until I hit 45 or above like they stated and it is also dependent on the road as well. Besides being maybe just the tires, could it be a small amount of suspension play as well due to maybe a tire being out of balance? Steering wheel or car doesn't vibrate beyond the normal small stuff (no wheel is ever perfectly balanced). I'm the farthest thing from a mechanic and I really don't want to go back to a dealer. All information would be helpful.

#12 OFFLINE   sschnath

sschnath

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 34 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

My problem turned out to be a bad bearing and a bad axle. Very disappointed that the bearing didn't even make it to 100K.

#13 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 656 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

My problem turned out to be a bad bearing and a bad axle. Very disappointed that the bearing didn't even make it to 100K.

Usually they fail alot sooner if they are going to fail. Hopefully you still have a warranty. :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Noise, road noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·