Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fusion Hybrid Powertrain Technical Analysis with Torque Pro & a ScanGauge

Fusion Hybrid powertrain Torque Pro ScanGauge XGauge

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

The grill shutters have 16 different positions, so % commanded is simply the % open based on those 16 positions.  The Inferred must be based on the feedback from the grill shutter motor, it should represent the actual opening.  It should be pretty close to the commanded I would think, but it would depend on how long it had been since the commanded changed.  The main purpose of the inferred is to relay back to the computer if the shutters are stuck for some reason.

• GrySql likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

I think you can create a chart very similar to a BSFC chart using the OBD II data from the FFH, but it will take a lot of work.  I am not expert on internal combustion engines, but from what I have read, the OBD II Absolute Load data, which measures volumetric efficiency (air flow into the engine), is linearly correlated with brake torque.  So using this, Engine RPM, and fuel consumption rate OBD II data, you could synthesize a chart very similar to a BSCF chart.  Unfortunately, the different measurements are not synchronized.  They are read at different times up to a second or more apart.  A lot can change in one second.  So it will take a lot of work to make the necessary corrections for this issue and you won't get a complete map since the engine will not operate in all regions during normal operation.  You can see a plot of Absolute Load vs. Engine RPM for a 30 mile drive on highways for my FFE here:  "http://www.fordfusio...or-ice/?p=12267".

I previously mentioned that it might be possible to create an Engine Map from the OBD II data recorded by Torque.  I attempted to do that for my Fusion Energi here:

"http://www.fordfusio...or-ice/?p=12414"

Since during normal operation the ICE only operates in a limited range of RPMs and Loads, I can only get a rough picture of what the actual map looks like.

• hybridbear likes this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#43 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

I previously mentioned that it might be possible to create an Engine Map from the OBD II data recorded by Torque.  I attempted to do that for my Fusion Energi here:

"http://www.fordfusio...or-ice/?p=12414"

Since during normal operation the ICE only operates in a limited range of RPMs and Loads, I can only get a rough picture of what the actual map looks like.

I updated the Engine Map in the post at:  "http://www.fordfusio...or-ice/?p=12414".

I had assumed that Absolute Load was linearly correlated with Torque as I had read in various articles.  That turns out not to be the case.  I updated the map to correct for this non-linearity. 

Edited by larryh, 23 March 2014 - 10:58 AM.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#44 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

I have confirmed that my comments in post #1 about the power flow screens are correct. "Charging HV Battery" means that the ICE is sending torque directly to the wheels. It is not 100% yes or no like the Honda Accord Hybrid though. It also does not appear to be a fixed ratio like the Toyota hybrids. I'll see a wide variation in Generator RPMs per amp of current flowing into the HVB when in this mode. This indicates that sometimes not all of the current from the generator is going to the HVB. Some of the current may still go to the traction motor to send torque to the wheels. Typical Generator RPMs when "Charging HV Battery" appears on the power flow screen are less than 2000, sometimes the Gen RPMs will be as low as 400-500 while still sending 30 amps to the HVB. When the screen says "hybrid drive" the Generator RPM is often 4500+. This indicates that "hybrid drive" means that the ICE is sending little or no torque directly to the wheels, but that all the ICE torque is being used to spin the generator to make electricity to charge the HVB and to spin the traction motor.

Occasionally you will see "Charging HV Battery" and lower Generator RPMs in city driving, but not often. I don't do much driving between 35 & 55 MPH, most of my driving is city streets at 35 MPH or less or on the freeway at 55-65 MPH. Rarely below 35 MPH will you see "Charging HV Battery", at those speeds it's almost always "Hybrid Drive" and 4500+ RPMs for the Generator. Above 55 MPH you rarely see "Hybrid Drive", it's almost always "Charging HV Battery" and Generator RPMs of 3000 or less, usually 500-1500 for 30 amps of charge to the HVB.

I guess I didn't need Ashley to get an answer from Ford engineering about the power flow screens. Thanks to Larryh helping me get setup with Torque and these PIDs which wouldn't work on the ScanGauge I have been able to figure it out myself.

• corncobs and ptek like this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#45 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

It has been brought to my attention that the Usable SOC numbers I have referenced before are nothing more than a calculation of the Absolute SOC that the car records. Usable SOC is not pulling data from a different sensor and thus doesn't add a whole lot of value other than giving some meaning to the Absolute SOC. There is another PID for Displayed SOC. This one is exactly what it sounds like, it is the % of the dash icon that is full. There is a linear relationship between Disp SOC & Abs SOC (and thus also between Disp SOC & Use SOC). However, Disp SOC is only recorded by the car to 1 decimal place. This is not surprising since Disp SOC merely represents the battery icon and high precision isn't required for the icon. It also is only measured in 1/2 percent increments. This limits the calculations that can be done with Disp SOC. Abs SOC (and thus Use SOC) are recorded by the car to 8 decimal places and provide much more accurate data.

I hope to have more information forthcoming about these values. I also would like to write my own equation for Use SOC which will be more accurate. The Use SOC that I have been using won't actually range from 0-100% based on what I've now been able to calculate thanks to also having access to Disp SOC and understanding its relationship with Abs SOC.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#46 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

• Displayed SOC appears to be exactly what it says it is...how much of the dash battery icon is full. I previously posted online that a 75% Use SOC has a battery icon that appears to be 8/10 to 9/10 full. When you plug in 75 for the Use SOC into the equation below you get a Disp SOC of 86.8%. Other reference points that I had posted online follow the same pattern which proves that the Disp SOC is a measure of how full the battery icon is.
  • Disp SOC = 2.5878(Abs SOC) - 68.183
  • Abs SOC = 0.3859(Disp SOC) + 26.373
  • Disp SOC = 0.9934(Use SOC) + 12.283
  • Use SOC = 1.0031(Disp SOC) - 12.207
  • The ICE comes on at 5% Usable SOC to charge the HVB, Usable SOC cannot get lower than this. This is 33.01% Abs SOC and 17.25% Disp SOC. 17.25% Disp SOC fits exactly with how full the battery icon appears when this happens.
  • The ICE stops charging the HVB when the Use SOC = 60%. This gives us an Abs SOC of 54.22% and a Disp SOC of 71.9%. This is the old "ICE High" mode that was common in freeway driving before the PCM update last summer.
  • We know that Disp SOC will hit 100%, this gives us the max charge of the HVB, better than Usable SOC could. This puts the max HVB Abs SOC at 64.99%. Usable SOC put the max Abs SOC at 69.57%.
  • Usable SOC 0%-100% projects an Abs SOC range of 31.2%-69.57%. Use SOC 5%-100% projects an Abs SOC range of 33.12%-69.57%. Disp SOC 17.25%-100% projects an Abs SOC range of 33.01%-64.99%. This proves that the low end of HVB charge is about 33.1% Abs SOC.
  • Disp SOC is only recorded to one significant digit which severely limits our calculations. Abs SOC (and thus Use SOC) is calculated to 8 decimal places.
Now that we know the true limits of HVB Abs SOC based on the combination of Use SOC & Disp SOC, I would like to rewrite the Usable SOC formula to make it more accurate so that New Use SOC = 0 when Abs SOC = 33% and New Use SOC = 100 when Abs SOC = 65%. This would then allow a more full use of Use SOC and a more accurate formula for the portion of the battery that is used by the hybrid.

• Mister MMT likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#47 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

Here's some data about Generator Speed when the ICE is off (this does not apply to the Energi because it has a different final drive ratio):

Here is the equation based on the 3000 or so data points from a couple trips plus another 10,000 or so data points of (0,0) to get the equation to pass through that point or as close as possible since that's the one data point that we actually know is correct:
Gen RPM = -120*MPH

Note that in theory the intercept should be exactly 0 because when speed is 0 the Gen RPM is also 0. But this is very close to 0 and can probably just be ignored as noise. It's very hard to get the measurements exactly in sync which creates noise in the data.

This means that the previous FFH max Gen RPM was: -7440 @ 62 MPH
Now the max Gen RPM is: -10,200 @ 85 MPH

Here is the chart:

GenRPM-MPHgraph_zpsea4a0c57.jpg

It's interesting to see how this compares to the Prius MG1 speed.

According to: Toyota Prius - Power Split Device
At 62 MPH the Prius MG1 would be spinning at -9578 RPM if the ICE were off. At 85 MPH it would be spinning at -13144 RPM if the ICE were off. The FFH Gen RPMs are lower due to the different size/design of Ford's planetary gear set. The Prius MG1 is limited to -6500 RPM.

The Generator RPM is variable when the ICE is on. There is not a fixed ratio of Gen RPM to ICE RPM. It all depends how much of the ICE torque is going to the wheels versus going to the generator. The FFH likes to charge the battery with about 30-40 amps of current (8700-11,600 watts @ 290 volts). The Generator RPM can be as low as 30-50 RPM and still put 30-40 amps into the HVB. When this happens, nearly 100% of the electricity from the generator must be flowing to the HVB and almost 0% of it must be going to the traction motor. In city driving the Gen RPM is often 5000-6000 because the ICE is sending almost 0% of its torque to the wheels. In city driving the ICE primarily only spins the generator and then the generator sends some electricity to the battery and some to the traction motor to power the wheels. In typical highway driving there is a split of the ICE torque and the Gen RPM is usually 1000-2500 depending on how the car decides to split the power.

Edited by hybridbear, 03 April 2014 - 03:02 PM.

• GrySql, larryh and ptek like this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#48 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

I updated the post above in red

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#49 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Thanks to a great suggestion by Larry H I have been able to make the data more accurate!! Changes above have been posted in blue.

Edited by hybridbear, 03 April 2014 - 03:00 PM.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#50 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

For the Energi, the equation is

RPMs = -139.65 * mph.

The final drive ratio for the FFH is 2.57.  For the FFE, it is 2.91.  The tire size for the hybridbear's FFH is 18" and for the FFE it is 17".  The tire diameters are 26.33 and 25.86 respectively, Thus the generator/motor/ICE must spin (2.91/2.57) * (26.33/25.86) = 1.15 times faster on the Energi than the Hybrid.  Given hybridbear's computation, the comparable one for the Energi can be derived as follows:

RPMs = -120 * 1.15 * mph = -138 * mph.

That's close to the actual measurement.  The generator/motor is rotating at 10.4 times the speed of the wheels, and each RPM of the wheels corresponds to 0.0745 mph.

Edited by larryh, 06 April 2014 - 10:38 AM.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#51 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Additional observations for the Fusion Energi using Torque can be found here and in subsequent posts:  http://www.fordfusio...or-ice/?p=12923

• hybridbear likes this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#52 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hybrid battery temp is measured in Celsius. When shown in Fahrenheit on the ScanGauge or Torque Pro it shows with decimal places, but it only moves in increments of 1.8F or 1C. The only numbers reported are whole numbers in Celsius.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#53 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

The car returns a number between 0 and 255 for HVB temperature  So it can only return 256 different values.  That results in the quantization that you are observing.  The 9/5 = 1.8 comes from the conversion from Celcius to Fahrenheit.    The conversion formula to Fahrenheit is:

A*(9/5)-58,

where A ranges from 0 to 255. 

• hybridbear likes this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#54 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have added quite a few additional posts regarding details of how the eCVT operates in the Fusion Energi:

"http://www.fordfusio...r-ice/?p=13310"

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#55 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

When the FFH does the "laggy empower gauge" (described here) the ICE is working as an air compressor like when using engine braking when descending a mountain. This is very inefficient when the car does this. When this happens the ICE is consuming 1-2 kW of mechanical power @ ~900 RPM due to it having negative torque of 10-20 Nm. In most of my observations where this has happened the car is thus driving using power from the HVB. It must take extra power out of the HVB to overcome the resistance of the ICE.

I'd like to try to figure out what causes the FFH to behave this way at times to be able to stop it. In a number of my observations this behavior continues for more than 10 seconds which consumes a fair bit of power from the HVB.

• GrySql and larryh like this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#56 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

For my car with the 18-inch rims & tires the wheel speed equals 13.058(MPH). That is the average of the 2 regression equations shown in the charts below.

Left Wheel RPM vs MPH

LWheelRPMgraph_zps4377e038.jpg

Right Wheel RPM vs MPH

RWheelRPMgraph_zps89932a6b.jpg

This means that the circumference of my tires is: 80.869965 inches.

@ 60 MPH my tires are rotating at a rate of 783.48 RPM

That means that in one minute they would rotate 783.48 times and cover 1 mile.

5280 feet divided by 783.48 tells us that each revolution covers 6.73916 feet or 80.869965 inches.

This is slightly off from what Discount Tire's calculator shows for my tires.

Tiresizedata_zps5c263e25.jpg

Edited by hybridbear, 08 May 2014 - 10:53 AM.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#57 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

What about the 17" tires?

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#58 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

I have measured the circumference of the 17" tires using the same technique. 

Wheel rpm = 13.438 x mph.  So the tire circumference is 78.58312.

The 18" tires are 80.869965/78.58312 = 1.029 times larger than the 17" tires.

But note that this measurement is done with the car's weight on the wheels.  The circumference would measure larger if the full weight of the car were not pressing down on the wheels.

Edited by larryh, 09 May 2014 - 08:12 PM.

• hybridbear likes this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#59 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

When the FFH does the "laggy empower gauge" (described here) the ICE is working as an air compressor like when using engine braking when descending a mountain. This is very inefficient when the car does this. When this happens the ICE is consuming 1-2 kW of mechanical power @ ~900 RPM due to it having negative torque of 10-20 Nm. In most of my observations where this has happened the car is thus driving using power from the HVB. It must take extra power out of the HVB to overcome the resistance of the ICE.

I'd like to try to figure out what causes the FFH to behave this way at times to be able to stop it. In a number of my observations this behavior continues for more than 10 seconds which consumes a fair bit of power from the HVB.

I think the explanation for this can be found in the following patent:  http://www.google.co...tents/US6600980.

This invention provides a strategy and system for a hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) that is not equipped with a hydraulic torque converter wherein a generator motor is utilized to maintain engine rotational velocity during up-shifting of the vehicle transmission in situations where the throttle of the engine is released. This invention can reduce undesirable torque reversals during up-shifting of the vehicle transmission in such situations where the throttle of the engine is released.

The engine appears to be directly connected to the wheels via the planetary gear system.  When turning off the engine, the planetary gear system must up-shift to a lower gear ratio between the engine and the wheels so the engine can stop (when the engine is stopped, the final gear ratio is 0).  If the ICE stops too fast, before the up-shift occurs, it will cause undesirable negative torque at the wheels, slowing the car down.  The generator is used to maintain the engine rpm until the up-shift can occur.

But according to the patent, this occurs for only a second or so.  So I'm not exactly sure what is going on. 

Edited by larryh, 10 May 2014 - 05:04 PM.

• hybridbear likes this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#60 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

I made some updates to the first post about the Power Flow screens & grille blocking. Updates are in red.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fusion Hybrid, powertrain, Torque Pro, ScanGauge, XGauge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·