hybridbear

What should we do? Should we trade up for a nicer FFH?

I can say that the difference between my first one and the one I have now is like night and day. I may not have the capacitive touch, wave your hand and turn the lights on overhead console anymore, but at least it doesn't buzz. Aside from the dreaded door trim that pops out, and the flaking paint on the bumper that has been repaired, I have not had any problems with it(hoping the fuel gauge thing this week was a fluke though).

Mine is turning white the more we drive it. So is my Flex. Weather has been too crappy to wash it, either way too cold, or sloppy.

No issues so far. Sure hope it will be rock solid.

Good to know. Has your mileage improved with more miles on it yet or still too early to tell with the weather?

Last week I had a casual conversation with my future wife and floated the idea of trading in my '13 for a loaded '14 (or MKZ) with heated steering wheel/cooled seats when the 2015's start rolling out later this year. She was completely ok with it, but we'll see how things go financially this year I guess.

Looking back at some notes i made with the black FFH when it was new on trips to Owatonna, it appears that this car does about 1 MPG worse than that one. I guess that is the 18 inch tire penalty...

Forgive me if this has been discussed before (I did try some searches looking for the answer). I'm curious why the 18" wheels/tires cause an a MPG penalty? Isn't the overall diameter about the same as the 17" wheel/tires? Is it due to increased weight?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before (I did try some searches looking for the answer). I'm curious why the 18" wheels/tires cause an a MPG penalty? Isn't the overall diameter about the same as the 17" wheel/tires? Is it due to increased weight?

Two factors, although outside diameter is virtually the same, the wheel itself has more mass, and second, types of tires differ too. There are many more options for Low Rolling Resistance(LRR) tires in the 17" size, than in the 18" size. The Goodyears on the FFH are claimed to be LRR, but there is no documentation to back it up, not even from Goodyear(I know I emailed them last year). These both impact MPG a slight amount. Michelin makes fantastic LRR tires, just not in the size we need for the 18's.

However, replacing the 18's with 17's and true LRR tires is not an economic solution, you will never make up the cost difference with MPG savings, since we are only talking about a 1-3 MPG difference.

The weather has been so terribly cold that it's hard to say. I'm sure it will improve. We didn't have a very harsh winter last year compared to what we've had so far this year as far as cold temps, last winter was just extremely long and the cold/snow lingered into mid-May. Since the FFH was brand new last December, I also wasn't as in tune to how it operates as I am now. When I look back at our Fuelly tanks from last winter, excluding our road trip in January, we averaged just under 40 MPG. Since the weather didn't warm up until mid-May we continued to see only 40 MPG through April. My goal was to keep this winter above 40 MPG overall for the entire winter, but this extreme cold is getting in the way. The last tank was only 36 MPG. The real comparison will be summer weather MPG. Looking back at some notes i made with the black FFH when it was new on trips to Owatonna, it appears that this car does about 1 MPG worse than that one. I guess that is the 18 inch tire penalty...

You're doing pretty good, right where I would expect it to be. These sub-zero days really hurt all cars MPG, so getting 36 is very acceptable in my book.

There are many more options for Low Rolling Resistance(LRR) tires in the 17" size, than in the 18" size. The Goodyears on the FFH are claimed to be LRR, but there is no documentation to back it up, not even from Goodyear(I know I emailed them last year). These both impact MPG a slight amount. Michelin makes fantastic LRR tires, just not in the size we need for the 18's.

Thank you. I neglected to consider that the actual tire manufacturer or tire model would be different between the 17s and 18s. I'm leaning toward ordering a FFH S and I beleive the 17 wheels are standard with no optional choices. Guess that makes things easy.

Hmmm I have relatives up there...... Nah that car has history, can't in a sane mind do that. I happen to like those relatives.