dalesky

It's pretty clear why more hybrids aren't being sold

Excellent, and spot on. Ford definitely took the lead for Hybrid sedans with the Fusion, smart move, but really bad move on their marketing campaign. Makes me wonder how many lost sales happened due to their comparing the Fusion to a Prius.

I think one thing that could be added to the above is that those unfamiliar with hybrids may tend to think of the HVB as a regular car battery that will need replacement after 4-5 years and they think there will be a several-thousand-dollar repair staring them in the face -- we've seen the question of "how long is the hybrid battery supposed to last and isn't it really expensive to replace?" asked a few times by potential buyers here on this forum and this is THE most common question I get in person from others when talking about buying/driving a hybrid.

So due to being scared by shelling out a few thousand more bucks for purchase, they are doubly-scared at the thought of shelling out another few thousand to replace that big battery -- sure it's an unfounded concern, but I think it keeps some from seriously considering a hybrid.

There are many higher he hybrids. Just not from ford. Ford is really the only one who is making enough hp and still getting very good mpg compared to the others that look good. They are in a segment of good looking very high milage that others aren't in at this time as none of the Toyota other than the Avalon look good. And it's more expensive by far.

I find the HyTi has plenty of power for what it is. It moves if you floor it, drains the pack fairly quickly, but it moves!

As a few others on this site have shown, the Fusion is their daily driver, they have a fun car under wraps for when they feel the need for speed. I do to, its my Flex EB.

BTW if you want a high performance Hybrid, 120K will get you one. Be prepared though for only getting 20 MPG.

Edited by acdii

Here's a few other reasons why hybrid vehicles are still not as popular.

• They are still too expensive (compared to their base model counterparts)
  • Cost of battery replacement - remember, it WILL fail - but that's much down the line
  • Too many compromises in some cases for interior space.

Regarding commercials, slow doesn't sell. That's why companies like Ford choose to advertise MPG numbers. Because those that are interested mostly in MPG will gravitate to it and be sold on that alone.

Amen, brother. Amen.

Just reiterating:

#1 reason - (Way) More expensive than gas version

#2 reason - Slower doesn't sell. NO American wants a slow vehicle. FEW Americans will tolerate going slower for gas mileage

#3 reason - Compromising on anything. Losing space? Having to replace a battery???

Newest reason to not buy an ICE-based vehicle? Safety. There's a new rumor going around that if you get into an accident and require jaws-of-life, they can't be used on EVs because the jaws may cut the powerline and electrocute everyone. If anyone gets beyond the first three reasons, this is the nail in the coffin. But it shouldn't be. Emergency personnel are now more knowledgeable about how to address EV cars in accidents.

The smartest thing for manufacturers to do is to market EVs as safer than ICE vehicles. Then market them as the smarter choice.

Until then, the only people who will buy EVs will be early adopters and those who want high gas mileage over anything else. For the record, I fit both profiles... so I bought the FFH.

Edited by KLH

Just reiterating:

#1 reason - (Way) More expensive than gas version

Not true for the MKZ. Hybrid and gas models are the same price.

Not true for the MKZ. Hybrid and gas models are the same price.

Also take a look at the c-max. We looked it up earlier for my dad.. He can get one starting at around $22,500

The HV lines are under the car, and very easy to see in the bright orange casing. They also disconnect in a crash, same as the fuel pump, at the pack, so even if they do cut the cable, there's no power in them.

Battery replacement is no different than transmission or engine replacement, and considering the amount of mile the car will have by the time then need replacement, it most likely will be worn out anyway.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=542377

First generation Prius has a .003 percent failure rate.

So that blows away two of those reasons.

Cost difference is negligible. You get additional features in the hybrid you dont get in any other car. Also depending on what you are going from, if it got 20 MPG, you at least halve your fuel costs and the more you drive it the quicker that difference goes away.

Once you go hybrid, its tough to go back.

Getting twice in the HyTi than I do in the Flex, and the Flex does pretty durn good for 365 HP.

Before my FFH, I used to drive much faster than I do now. I just got tired of getting 20-24 mpg overall. Now that I'm a "sane" driver, I think of the leadfoots who floor it on the green light as idiots. How many times does someone weave in and out, cutting cars off, just so they can get to the head of the pack, and at the next light, guess who is right up there with them? :peelout:

Of course, it's me, using my ACC at the speed limit, cruising along at 45mpg knowing that he just blew through a couple of gallons without gaining anything. :rant2:

hey, I said the same thing!

Drive Smarter, Not Faster rings so true!