Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

High voltage battery not covered by extended warranty...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKZ Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Was just talking to my warranty guy and found out that the HVB is not covered by the extended warrantys. Doesnt matter if you get the best of the best its not covered.

If there suppost to last all this time without issue why did they exclude this on purpose?

225770.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Battery is covered under its own warranty for 8 years 100K miles, so no the extended warranties will not cover it. 

• jeff_h and hybridbear like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#3 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Because the hybrid components are covered for 8 years/ 100,000 miles as per the Lincoln web site and the warranty material you got with the car.

• hybridbear likes this

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

#4 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

I just know in the Platinum care paperwork it repeats many items that are covered under the standard warranty. Why it wouldn't just say it's included even if it's covered by default? And you can buy a 125k warranty now. Which I'd think should cover it if they he faith in it.

225770.png

#5 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

In CARB states the HVB is covered for 10yrs/150k miles. I imagine since the PlatinumCare is available on all Fords/Lincolns but not all have HVBs they don't cover any hybrid components in those extended warranties.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#6 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

http://owner.ford.co.../ESPWizardStep1

Under high-tech all hybrid engine components are covered "excluding" the HVB.

Thats what I found weird. And im not in a carb state. Does that mean if I bring it to a dealer in a carb state it has to be covered or only if it was originaly sold in a carb state?

Doubt ill have to deal with the car beyond the 100k miles but i suspect when I get rid of it my dad will take it. 

225770.png

#7 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

In CARB states the HVB is covered for 10yrs/150k miles. I imagine since the PlatinumCare is available on all Fords/Lincolns but not all have HVBs they don't cover any hybrid components in those extended warranties.

By state laws, hybrids sold in "California emissions" states must come with a 10yr/150,000mi warrentee for the HVB. This longer HVB warrentee only applies for as long as the owner of the hybrid lives in and the car is registered in a California emissions state.  If the car gets registered in a non-California emissions state, the HVB warrentee reverts back to 8yrs/100,000mi.

"California emissions state" refers to any state that has adopted California's automobile emissions standards. Among other things, this standard requires extended warranties for hybrid and electric car HVBs and requires manufacturers to sell zero emissions vehicles in said states or by credits from others like Tesla. Maine, where I live is one of the California emissions states.  This certainly makes buying a hybrid a better long term investment in these states since it greatly reduces the risk of having to pay out of pocket to replace the HVB later in the car's life. 

200866.png

#8 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Replacing a bad HVB will be no different than replacing a transmission in a non hybrid.  With the advent of AWD, 6, 7, and 8 speeds, the transmissions are no longer a $400 rebuild. Some can be as much as $5000 to replace.  My 1999 F350 transmission was $4500 just for the transmission not including labor to swap it out.   Since the FFH uses an ECVT. the likely hood of it going bad is rare, these things last forever.   Its just another item that may or may never need to be replaced.   Too many people think of the battery are VooDoo, when all it is is just another major component in a complex car, no different than the engine or transmission.  There have been fewer battery replacements in hybrids than transmissions or engine being replaced in non hybrids! 

• JSKershaw and corncobs like this

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

CVT transmissions appear to be one of the top failures for lemon law cars... Based on what i just read around with a little google searching id have more faith in the battery at this point. 

I also read theres like 200 different designs for cvt transmissions. Actually 4 completely different designs use the "ecvt" name. What does the e stand for? Back in the day I would have thought electronic but based on some of the names ive seen its gotta mean something else. 

225770.png

#10 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

The Electric CVT is a totally different type of transmission compared the non Hybrid CVT. Those trannies dont hold up to abuse, so yeah, you will see a lot of failures, however, if you go to a certain "other" PPP forum and search for transmission failures, you may not find any. Since Ford and Toyota share the same design, chances of our eCVT failing are very rare indeed, if there are failures, its most likely due to assembly or bad part, then anything else, the chances of the battery going bad are much higher.  Fewer moving parts in the Ecvt, plus the torque application in it is from the motors locked inside the housing, where the standard CVT the torque is applied at the flywheel, so more stress occurs on all the weak spots. CVT's also cannot handle a lot of horsepower, mainly due to the design, but the eCVT in the Hybrids are designed for the exact amount of power that is being applied and will never have it exceeded(unless someone boosts the ICE). 

• corncobs likes this

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

By state laws, hybrids sold in "California emissions" states must come with a 10yr/150,000mi warrentee for the HVB. This longer HVB warrentee only applies for as long as the owner of the hybrid lives in and the car is registered in a California emissions state.  If the car gets registered in a non-California emissions state, the HVB warrentee reverts back to 8yrs/100,000mi.

"California emissions state" refers to any state that has adopted California's automobile emissions standards. Among other things, this standard requires extended warranties for hybrid and electric car HVBs and requires manufacturers to sell zero emissions vehicles in said states or by credits from others like Tesla. Maine, where I live is one of the California emissions states.  This certainly makes buying a hybrid a better long term investment in these states since it greatly reduces the risk of having to pay out of pocket to replace the HVB later in the car's life. 

Even though this is an older thread, I just wanted to clear up a misunderstanding in the above post. In CARB states, the HVB is only warrantied for 10 yrs/150K miles for vehicles certified for sale in CA as AT PZEV on the emissions label under the hood. As of this date, that would only be the C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi. State law does NOT require this warranty. The warranty is provided by Ford in order to certify a vehicle as an AT PZEV in CARB states. There are other requirements as well. If you own a hybrid, look under your hood for the emissions label and you will see that your car is certified as a ULEV or SULEV, not an AT PZEV, and therefore you get the standard 8 yr/100K mile warranty. Read your warranty guide. Only the C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi get the better warranty. They also get 15 yr/150K mile warranty to pass smog checks. There's a whole topic area here: http://fordfusionhyb...rranty-coverage

Edited by TonyHzNV, 03 June 2015 - 12:10 PM.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

340661.png

2013 F-150 XLT Super Cab Ingot Silver Metallic/Gray Cloth, 302A, 5.0L V8, 7100# GVWR Pkg, Tailgate Step, Cloth Bucket Seats. Build Date: 01/25/13

2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat/Charcoal Black Cloth, SE Appearance Pkg, Rear Spoiler, 18" Premium Sport Wheels, Tech/MFT Pkg, Rear View Camera, Reverse Sensing Sys, Adaptive Cruise Control, Nav System. Build Date: 11/25/13, Sync Version: 3.8 (w/nav)

Previous (Ford) Vehicles: 1995 Contour, 1999 Explorer Sport, 2002 Explorer XLS 4x4, 2003 Expedition XLT 4x4, 2007 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2007 Fusion SEL, 2012 Fusion SEL

"Do What You Can, For Who You Can, With What You Have, and What You Know"

#12 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 743 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

The Electric CVT is a totally different type of transmission compared the non Hybrid CVT. Those trannies dont hold up to abuse, so yeah, you will see a lot of failures, however, if you go to a certain "other" PPP forum and search for transmission failures, you may not find any. Since Ford and Toyota share the same design, chances of our eCVT failing are very rare indeed, if there are failures, its most likely due to assembly or bad part, then anything else, the chances of the battery going bad are much higher.  Fewer moving parts in the Ecvt, plus the torque application in it is from the motors locked inside the housing, where the standard CVT the torque is applied at the flywheel, so more stress occurs on all the weak spots. CVT's also cannot handle a lot of horsepower, mainly due to the design, but the eCVT in the Hybrids are designed for the exact amount of power that is being applied and will never have it exceeded(unless someone boosts the ICE). 

In my case at 98Kmi. i'm leaning towards ware and heat.  I still wonder about my trans cooler. ;)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·