Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Not happy with mpg

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BradS7535

BradS7535

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 33 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Same behavior applies to the highway, I stay mostly in the right lane, and set the cruise at 62 so I am  in EV over 50% of the time...

So does anyone have anything else to say about this?  Many people say that keeping it OUT of EV mode and high state of charge will yield better MPG on freeways/interstates, yet jeff_h seems to be getting great numbers by letting EV/ICE cycle. 

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Order Date: Never Ordered It (Dealer Inventory)

Pickup Date: 4/20/13

Deep Impact Blue, Navigation, Moonroof, Driver Assist (Lane Keeping, BLIS)

198320.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have found my best highway mileage by traveling in ECO  and at 62 MPH. But then others poo-poo that.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#23 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

So does anyone have anything else to say about this?  Many people say that keeping it OUT of EV mode and high state of charge will yield better MPG on freeways/interstates, yet jeff_h seems to be getting great numbers by letting EV/ICE cycle. 

For Houston highways, this works best. The heavier the traffic, usually the better the MPG (within reason).

On a long trip, I would go crazy if I had to drive at 62, but on a city highway, it's no big deal as long as you stay out of the way on the right.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#24 OFFLINE   clummus

clummus

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful
guardianbob was being helpful to me. You do not have to respond to my questions. it is rude of you to speak to me that way. I am directing this to hybridbear following his comment to me.

Edited by clummus, 05 June 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Guardian_Bob

Guardian_Bob

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 129 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful
guardianbob was being helpful to me. You do not have to respond to my questions. it is rude of you to speak to me that way. I am directing this to hybridbear following his comment to me.

I'd refrain from poking the bear...

He's just grumpy because someone ask similar questions earlier this week (or was it last) and was quite rude.  He went though and made that post to try and address questions like yours, but it was lost in the shuffle.

The post is now pinned in the Welcome forum.

#26 OFFLINE   clummus

clummus

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

well be was rude to me and I have meant no disrespect

#27 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

well be was rude to me and I have meant no disrespect

I wasn't trying to be rude to you, but I do want to make a point about trying to avoid duplicating the same discussions over and over again. When new threads are continuously created asking questions that have already been answered then the threads with the answers end up getting lost which leads to more repeat questions and it becomes a vicious cycle which makes the Forum an unproductive place because it makes it harder for new users that come later on to find useful information because it's buried under threads that don't say anything new.

I'm sorry for having offended you with my comments from this morning. I did not mean it to be so harsh

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#28 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 fusion hybrid

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

So, I have three solid blue bars across the FE coach screen and aan average of 37mpg.  What the hey?  I did pull a plug this morning and found carbon coating just like Acdii reported when he pulled the plug on Blue Devil #1.  I think I need a magic ECM software patch.

Delivered 1/2/13
Ice Storm 2 / Moon Roof / Navi w MFT / Driver Assist / Luxury Pkg.
505A / leather Dune / rear view camera / park assist
Adaptive Cruise / remote Start / luxury wheels

171254.png

233484.png

#29 OFFLINE   Guardian_Bob

Guardian_Bob

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 129 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

So, I have three solid blue bars across the FE coach screen and aan average of 37mpg.  What the hey?  I did pull a plug this morning and found carbon coating just like Acdii reported when he pulled the plug on Blue Devil #1.  I think I need a magic ECM software patch.

Sorry, I'm not privy to the details you're talking about, are you saying your spark plug was covered in carbon?

#30 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Sorry, I'm not privy to the details you're talking about, are you saying your spark plug was covered in carbon?

He is referring to that other car I used to have, at 4500 miles all 4 plugs fouled, setting a check light and throwing multiple misfire codes. At 900 ,iles after they were replaced I pulled one out and it was coated with carbon, Whether it was sign of a poor running engine or not, I have seen cleaner plugs in a worn out lawn mower.

BTW Love the Blue Devil name :)

• corncobs likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#31 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

The body of the plug had a layer of carbon on it.  The gap was a little excessive.  I'm not going to check the other plugs.  Assume (yes I know) the sample was representative.  I'm gonna hold out a while longer for a solution from Ford engineering related to the lawsuit stuff.  I'd still like to know what the ailment is when the coach is perfect looking.

Delivered 1/2/13

171254.png

233484.png

#32 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Did it look like this?

379751_492578517450954_1869091754_n.jpg

According to service, this is normal. The ones he pulled out had carbon covering the center electrode and ground.  It had bridged the gap between the center and ground on 2 of the plugs. 

Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yep, carbon on the body, but no cap bridge.  I couldn't measure the gap, but it took some pressure to close the gap to 0.050.  What would a gap excess of 0.005 do to the performance?

Delivered 1/2/13

171254.png

233484.png

#34 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Bigger gap for the spark to jump would make it less effective, and make the ignition work harder.  Regapping may help it work better.

Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Guess I will regap and clean all then.

Thanks,

Delivered 1/2/13

171254.png

233484.png

#36 OFFLINE   LamarD2

LamarD2

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have a 2014 SE Hybrid.  I finally decided to try the ECO Cruise at 60 MPH.  Yes, that did it.  I live in Houston, Texas and I finally got 43 MPG!  I was doing around 35 MPG with my normal driving.  But, I decided to try doing the cruise at 60 MPH to see what I would get.

I have a driving trip planned to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  That will be a painfully slow trip!!  OMG!!  Driving at 60 MPH felt like I was walking!!

But, I would imagine that if I did 55 MPH, I would get even better gas millage.  Hummm, I may even get the 47 MPG that Ford claims that it does.

I saw a Volkswagen JettaTD pass me this morning.  I wonder if I should have bought one of those.  I sure as heck could drive faster on the highways and get good gas mileage. But the fuel cost would be higher.

Oh well, I'll keep Hope Alive!

Lamar

#37 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have a 2014 SE Hybrid.  I finally decided to try the ECO Cruise at 60 MPH.  Yes, that did it.  I live in Houston, Texas and I finally got 43 MPG!  I was doing around 35 MPG with my normal driving.  But, I decided to try doing the cruise at 60 MPH to see what I would get.

I have a driving trip planned to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  That will be a painfully slow trip!!  OMG!!  Driving at 60 MPH felt like I was walking!!

But, I would imagine that if I did 55 MPH, I would get even better gas millage.  Hummm, I may even get the 47 MPG that Ford claims that it does.

I saw a Volkswagen JettaTD pass me this morning.  I wonder if I should have bought one of those.  I sure as heck could drive faster on the highways and get good gas mileage. But the fuel cost would be higher.

Lamar

Lamar....The fact you can get better MPG using eco cruise tells me that you are not driving the car like a hybrid. I can get better mileage not using eco cruise. Hope that makes sense.

• B25Nut likes this

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#38 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Lamar

Lamar....The fact you can get better MPG using eco cruise tells me that you are not driving the car like a hybrid. I can get better mileage not using eco cruise. Hope that makes sense.

It IS all in how you drive it!  While other Hybrids are get in and drive and get EPA, the Fusion does make you work for every drop.  Then again, it is the only Hybrid that has full EV at 80 MPH.   When you get more miles on the car, have your tire pressure around 40-44 PSI cold, you can have the Ecocruise set to 68 and see 43 MPG.  Just remember the faster you go the more power required, the more fuel used.  

Keep at it. eventually the way to drive it will "click" in and you will be seeing better numbers more often.  I have nearly 15K on mine now, and I dont even bother trying in this cold crappy weather, yet still seeing 41 MPG.  Much rather have the Fusion than a VW anyday. 

• B25Nut likes this

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   Bob Cooke

Bob Cooke

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

Ok Ok  Ok, I just got 600+ miles on my last tank and I'm still not happy about my gas only mpg. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Go figure.

I can't seem to get more then 20 mpg gas only. Going 600 miles tells me I must be doing something right???? Anyway I think I might have answered my own question.

Here it is. It would appear to me at least that in order to achieve better gas only mpg you must have your battery at or very near full charge.

When my battery is close to be fully charged the gas mpg goes upto 40, run the battery down and it drops back down in the 20's or so.

Since I've been trying to get the most mpge I didn't notice this correlation before. Maybe it's only me thinking this. I figure since the gas engine doesn't have

to charge the battery it's no longer working so hard and get the posted 40 mpg it's capable of. Which is kind of a catch 22 using the battery to get mpge or running the ICE to get better

MPG. So with only 4 full tanks under my belt and a mere 900 gas only miles on my ICE I maybe reaching here. Can anyone else chime in and either confirm or deny this?

BTW this is my first hybrid so I'm still learning exactly the best way to drive this car but, I believe we are going to have a long relationship. :)

346956.png

#40 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,853 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

It's normal to get 20-30 when the ICE is running. It's propelling the car and charging the HVB. Your average mpg is the total miles driven divided by the fuel used when the ICE is running which is about half the time at lower speeds. Drive the car as you would any other and don't worry about it. The mpg on short lower speed trips will vary wildly depending on starting and ending HVB SOC and many other external factors.

• hybridbear likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·