clummus

Not happy with mpg

So, I have three solid blue bars across the FE coach screen and aan average of 37mpg. What the hey? I did pull a plug this morning and found carbon coating just like Acdii reported when he pulled the plug on Blue Devil #1. I think I need a magic ECM software patch.

Sorry, I'm not privy to the details you're talking about, are you saying your spark plug was covered in carbon?

Sorry, I'm not privy to the details you're talking about, are you saying your spark plug was covered in carbon?

He is referring to that other car I used to have, at 4500 miles all 4 plugs fouled, setting a check light and throwing multiple misfire codes. At 900 ,iles after they were replaced I pulled one out and it was coated with carbon, Whether it was sign of a poor running engine or not, I have seen cleaner plugs in a worn out lawn mower.

BTW Love the Blue Devil name :)

Did it look like this?

379751_492578517450954_1869091754_n.jpg

According to service, this is normal. The ones he pulled out had carbon covering the center electrode and ground. It had bridged the gap between the center and ground on 2 of the plugs.

Bigger gap for the spark to jump would make it less effective, and make the ignition work harder. Regapping may help it work better.

I have a 2014 SE Hybrid. I finally decided to try the ECO Cruise at 60 MPH. Yes, that did it. I live in Houston, Texas and I finally got 43 MPG! I was doing around 35 MPG with my normal driving. But, I decided to try doing the cruise at 60 MPH to see what I would get.

I have a driving trip planned to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. That will be a painfully slow trip!! OMG!! Driving at 60 MPH felt like I was walking!!

But, I would imagine that if I did 55 MPH, I would get even better gas millage. Hummm, I may even get the 47 MPG that Ford claims that it does.

I saw a Volkswagen JettaTD pass me this morning. I wonder if I should have bought one of those. I sure as heck could drive faster on the highways and get good gas mileage. But the fuel cost would be higher.

Oh well, I'll keep Hope Alive!

Lamar

I have a 2014 SE Hybrid. I finally decided to try the ECO Cruise at 60 MPH. Yes, that did it. I live in Houston, Texas and I finally got 43 MPG! I was doing around 35 MPG with my normal driving. But, I decided to try doing the cruise at 60 MPH to see what I would get.

I have a driving trip planned to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. That will be a painfully slow trip!! OMG!! Driving at 60 MPH felt like I was walking!!

But, I would imagine that if I did 55 MPH, I would get even better gas millage. Hummm, I may even get the 47 MPG that Ford claims that it does.

I saw a Volkswagen JettaTD pass me this morning. I wonder if I should have bought one of those. I sure as heck could drive faster on the highways and get good gas mileage. But the fuel cost would be higher.

Oh well, I'll keep Hope Alive!

Lamar

Lamar....The fact you can get better MPG using eco cruise tells me that you are not driving the car like a hybrid. I can get better mileage not using eco cruise. Hope that makes sense.

It IS all in how you drive it! While other Hybrids are get in and drive and get EPA, the Fusion does make you work for every drop. Then again, it is the only Hybrid that has full EV at 80 MPH. When you get more miles on the car, have your tire pressure around 40-44 PSI cold, you can have the Ecocruise set to 68 and see 43 MPG. Just remember the faster you go the more power required, the more fuel used.

Keep at it. eventually the way to drive it will "click" in and you will be seeing better numbers more often. I have nearly 15K on mine now, and I dont even bother trying in this cold crappy weather, yet still seeing 41 MPG. Much rather have the Fusion than a VW anyday.

It's normal to get 20-30 when the ICE is running. It's propelling the car and charging the HVB. Your average mpg is the total miles driven divided by the fuel used when the ICE is running which is about half the time at lower speeds. Drive the car as you would any other and don't worry about it. The mpg on short lower speed trips will vary wildly depending on starting and ending HVB SOC and many other external factors.

Ok Ok Ok, I just got 600+ miles on my last tank and I'm still not happy about my gas only mpg. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Go figure.

I agree with her. ;)

It's not a gas-only car, so don't sweat it. Keep on driving.

Here's the math. You go 2 miles with the ICE on indicating 20 mpg. That's 0.1 gal. During that time you have charged the HVB high enough to drive 2 miles in EV at which time you're back to the same SOC in the HVB that you started with. You've gone 4 miles on 0.1 gal which is 40 mpg which is what the trip summary would read. I used even numbers and distances for simplicity. The mpg while the ICE is running is almost immaterial. All of the Toyota / Ford eCVT models behave this way.

Your highway MPG will be very dependent on the speed you drive. Below 65 MPH (with no head wind) I am able to reliably achieve 40 (or a little better).

It wasn't long ago that 40mpg was an almost magical number that few car owners could achieve, now look at how we talk. :)

Agreed. It also seems like it was not that long ago that hybrids were known for providing very good MPG during city driving and no so much for highway driving. Today’s hybrids excel at both. The FFH significantly outperforms the gas Fusions in both city and highway. It is impressive.

Consumer Reports recently rated the Fusion Hybrid price premium payback at 5 years even at $2.20 per gallon gas. The FFH had the quickest payback of any hybrid.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/04/are-green-cars-still-worth-the-money/index.htm

Edited by darrelld