Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Zaino vs Meguiar's

car care wax polish zaino Meguiars appearance looking like new

Best Answer acdii , 29 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

OK, write this down.

First, you can either wash the car with dawn, or like I do, wash the car normally, then in a spray bottle add just enough dawn so the water has a very slight blue tint to it. When you spray it on, you have to work it to make suds. If it foams when you spray it, too much soap, there should be just enough that if you spray it on your hands and rub them together you should feel the soap lather up after 4-5 rubs, but not as if you had a bar of soap in your hands, just enough to know there is soap in it. Use too much and its a bugger to rinse off. 

Use that solution to clay the car, you can do everything, glass, mirrors, plastic, just dont do the wheels, and be very careful around the rockers, you want to avoid getting any grit in the clay.  You know you got the solution right when the clay bar sticks to your fingers after rubbing an area, if it doesn't stick, you used too much soap.  Spray a small section, and rub it gently, you can use back and forth, circular, whichever you feel comfortable with. Then take a terry cloth, 100% cotton towel and wipe the area down, blot the clay bar dry, and then fold it so the area used on the surface is now onside the bar, the finger area is your next cleansing surface.  It is important to keep the surface wet, or the clay will stick and its a bugger to get off.  Just make sure before you fold the clay to dry it completely or it will turn to mush after a while. 

Once you have the entire car cleaned, rinse it, dry it, then apply 1 coat of AIO, wipe it off, and if you want to do it the Zaino way, and got the Z6 spray, mist an area, and wipe it dry with a terry cloth towel. Then after that, give it one coat of Z5. Do tha same thing, wipe it off, mist with Z6, wipe it dry. wait 24 hours if your a fanatic, and apply 2 more coats of Z5, or just apply the wax.  I would wait a day before applying wax after the Z5, give it a day to cure. 

That wax you got is GOOD stuff. It is a high carnuba content wax, which Carnuba is the best wax for cars, BUT it wears off quickly. 

This is what I used on the 2010 on Monday. http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sim_auto_4 Good cleaner wax, but it cant compare to a clay bar finish, it can only clean so much. Might have done better had I used my buffer/polisher. 

As far as towels go, head over to Target, they have cheap 100% cotton terry cloth towels, make sure they are white or a light color, dont get any other color, it hardens the fibers. Trim off any tags, and if you can, take the borders off. If you have someone who can sew, then fold over the ends you removed the borders from and sew them together with cotton thread.  This is important as the stiff borders can actually leave scratches. Dont use microfiber, grit can stick to them, and never come out. Drop it on the ground and its done for.  

Speaking of dropping on the ground, whatever you do, DONT DROP the clay bar!  You WILL scratch the paint if you drop it, no matter how clean you think your garage floor is, or whereever you plan to do it, grains finer than sand can get on the bar and leave scratches you wont see until the light hits is just right!  If you can get a drop cloth, do that, and keep it clean. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Sleddog

Sleddog

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 421 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid in Ice Storm. 2009 Focus, 2006 F150, 2001 Focus (retired with 361,318 miles), 1994 F150 Flarside

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I wanted to give the clay bar detailing a shot to see how well it works before I did it to the new Fusion. I picked up a Meguiar's kit and experimented on the 2009 Focus. It was easy and did not take very long. I was amazed that the stuff that came off the paint. I finished it with Meguiar's ultimate wax. The car looks great. So next weekend it will be the Fusion's turn. I week after that, the F-150. It will be interesting to see what comes off the F-150's paint since its a 2006.

It took more effort to wax it then to do the clay bar. My vehicles get washed and waxed about every 60 to 90 days. I have too many vehicles and would spend most of my time detailing things. So that time frame works good for me. But the clay bar thing once a year on each may be a good idea. Who knows, I may even do the motorcycles.

Edited by Sleddog, 28 July 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Just think how much time is saved using Zaino and only needing to do it once a year. ;)

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#43 OFFLINE   Geremy13

Geremy13

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 110 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

My experience was exactly the opposite.  Spent 5 hours on the clay bar.... and 45 minutes to polish with Zaino...  then of course wait and wipe off.

It took more effort to wax it then to do the clay bar.

217844.png

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Tuxedo Black

Moonroof

Navigation

Driver Assist Package

#44 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

It does take longer to wax the car. Especially using a hard Carnuba paste wax. It also takes more effort to rub it on and wipe it off, so you get a good workout waxing.   

Thats why I prefer using Zaino. 

Before I traded up to the 2013 I had clayed and waxed the 2010. It took me 3 times as long to wax it than it did to give the new one 2 coats of Z. I was a bit sore the next day in my upper body too.  I used Meguiars paste cleaner/wax in the Blue can. It did a nice job, but was a pain to work with. 

Posted Image

#45 OFFLINE   2014FordFusionSE

2014FordFusionSE

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

I don't believe anyone in this thread until I see pics :)

Here's my 14 year old Ford Contour with 166,000 miles before I sold it.

I washed it and used Zymol to wax it. It had been garaged all its life.

Attached File  1999FordContour.jpg   107.49KB   3 downloads

Attached File  1999FordContourBk.jpg   121.16KB   1 downloads

Edited by 2014FordFusionSE, 26 March 2014 - 12:11 AM.

272055.png

#46 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 535 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Mustang GT conv, Fusion HYTI

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

I don't believe anyone in this thread until I see pics :)

Here's my 14 year old Ford Contour with 166,000 miles before I sold it.

I washed it and used Zymol to wax it. It had been garaged all its life.

attachicon.gif1999FordContour.jpg

attachicon.gif1999FordContourBk.jpg

Nice. A buddy recently sold his red Contour. It still looked good too.

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#47 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Was that real Zymol, or the crap sold at Wallyworld?  Real Zymol is good stuff, still a wax, but good wax. 

Posted Image

#48 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

I think any decent wax works well in most of CA, especially if you are a person that cares what it looks like, and garaged.

I'll bet you got top dollar when you sold that Contour.

The test is to live in the Polar Vortex snow belt with salted roads and see what happens.  :twister:

• acdii, hybridbear, dalesky and 2 others like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#49 OFFLINE   2014FordFusionSE

2014FordFusionSE

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

Was that real Zymol, or the crap sold at Wallyworld?  Real Zymol is good stuff, still a wax, but good wax. 

I have no idea what Wallyworld is and so I'm guessing it was real Zymol :) I had bought it at a local Kragen (which is now O'Reilleys). When I first bought the car, Consumer Reports had Zymol rated the best.

I think any decent wax works well in most of CA, especially if you are a person that cares what it looks like, and garaged.

I'll bet you got top dollar when you sold that Contour.

The test is to live in the Polar Vortex snow belt with salted roads and see what happens.  :twister:

I agree 100%. I think garage is key in addition to the wonderful weather in CA. Keeps everything from getting 'weathered', like the rubber components, belts, etc.

Wax not only makes the car look good, but protects it from getting scratched easily.

I remember how I'm able to keep the Zymol bottle on the hood after I wash the car, but once I wax it, the bottle just slides off.

While I'm showing off, here's our 2006 Sienna after a wash + wax. It has 95k miles on it.

Attached File  2006SiennaBack.jpg   188.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2006SiennaFront.jpg   181.96KB   0 downloads

More incentive for owners to get their vehicles waxed at least once a year.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

272055.png

#50 OFFLINE   2014FordFusionSE

2014FordFusionSE

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:24 AM

Gave the Fusion a bath and some wax. Meguiar's this time.

Attached File  Fusion Front Angle .JPG   158.25KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Fusion Front.JPG   157.08KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Fusion Side.JPG   142.42KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Fusion Back.jpg   134.7KB   0 downloads

• hybridbear likes this

272055.png

#51 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yesterday was a nice day to work on the cars, but instead, worked on the trailer, was more important. Really looking forward to getting the cars cleaned up and polished, they need it after this past winter.  I might give Chemical Guys a try, there is one user on the Flex Forum who did his TB Flex with it and holy cow does the metallic pop!  The Zaino does a really nice job, but it doesn't make the metallic pop like what he used does. 

Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   Trevan22

Trevan22

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:53 AM

That's what I did, worked out fine for me.

I am a happy owner of Ford Fusion. It is necessary for me to keep my birdie clean. I usually use online autotools shop to get the car products of high-quality. Sorting out all the car cleaning issues and waxes I used I can separate Zaino and Quick. They are the best! 

Edited by Trevan22, 03 August 2018 - 02:54 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 70 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'01 Cougar

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:22 AM

Wow.  That's serious thread necromancy.

I just go to a car wash.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: car care, wax, polish, zaino, Meguiars, appearance, looking like new

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·