heloski

cracking noise

Why on earth are you having to pay for a rental?? When the car is under warranty Ford pays for your rental if they need the car overnight. The dealer will do all the arranging for you even

Thats what I was wondering myself.

Mine did that too. My wife noticed it while standing outside the car and said, that doesnt sound right. I heard it when going from dead stop, and slowly rolling forward, and again when I slow to a stop. Like a Click thunk. To me it sounded like something engaging, or disengaging.

Brakes make a distinctive sound, so if that is what they are hearing, then it could be a different thing, however, brake pads rarely make a big enough sound to be heard inside unless they are sticking, in which case there are bigger issues, Loose pads also rattle when not in use. If what you are hearing is the same sound I, and what others describe, it is not the pads.

Update: They replaced the front brake pads on both sides and it didn't make a difference. Two CV Shafts have been ordered from the USA and should be here in 2-3 days. Maybe they'll be an updated part? Maybe not...

I had my doubts, but waited until you confirmed it. Here's why, brake pads that are loose in the calipers dont clunk, they click, and you would have some very noisy brakes in the Hybrid had they been that loose. Every time you stopped you would hear them as they would squeal like a WWII Jeep! I heard the exact noise you are referring too, and I can say 100% that was not a brake pad noise, but a driveline noise. The loose axle shaft is the most logical explanation for the noise I heard.

The service dept did say they *believed* the eventual fix would involve replacing the "cv stub". If anyone has any guesses to what that means technically it would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Harbor

The CV stub is the axle portion of the CV, or Constant Velocity shaft. AKA, your axle. In FWD the axle has to turn with the front wheels so it has ball bearings inside of two cups. This part is attached to the wheel. The part they are referring to is the actual shaft that connects to the transmission. I know the sound everyone refers too, I heard it as well. There is some slop in the shaft, where exactly, unknown, but my guess is Ford is working on a kit to resolve this, and until then they dont want to be throwing parts at it and they arent concerned about safety or excess wear, yet. It most likely will just be a sleeve to take up the slop, or a different shaft that they will swap out of the CV joint instead.

I wouldnt be too concerned at this point, I had 8400 miles on mine and the click never got worse, was always the same.

I forwarded the case numbers off to my dealer, hopefully it will save him some time in the future to make up for the time they wasted trying to find the issue with the one I had.