Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Adaptive Cruise Control & Collision Warning System

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jholt26

jholt26

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hello, 

Just picked up a 13 fusion hybrid with adaptive cruise and forward collision warning.  My question is where are the sensors for the forward collision feature?  Also, how far away does the system warn you?  I was driving in the City today some cars were stopping in front of me and I never got a warning light.  I was approaching fairly quickly and did have to brake a bit harder than normal.  My sensitivity is set to high.  Anyone have any idea where the sensors are and how and when the system warns you?

Thanks, 

Jeff

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   FusionDiffusion

FusionDiffusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

The radar sensor is located behind the driver's side of the lower grille.  You should notice one side of the grille is different than the other.  There is a picture in the owner's manual.

From what I understand, the warning will only sound if the system detects an imminent collision.  If your foot was already on the brake (even slightly) I don't think it will sound the alert.

#3 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 fusion hybrid

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

It is startling when it does its trick when you're looking the wrong way. :shift:

• coach81 likes this
Delivered 1/2/13
Ice Storm 2 / Moon Roof / Navi w MFT / Driver Assist / Luxury Pkg.
505A / leather Dune / rear view camera / park assist
Adaptive Cruise / remote Start / luxury wheels

171254.png

233484.png

#4 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Dont worry, it will go off at some point and make you tinkle!  When someone moves to the right or left turn lane and slows down before you clear them, it will go off. It does work...when you really dont need it. 

• JSKershaw likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#5 OFFLINE   smr2112

smr2112

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 510 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Does the automatic braking only work when the cruise is set ON with the adaptive cruise?

It won't brake in regular everyday traffic the way you describe it?

2013 FFH Hybrid Titanium 900A / Sterling Grey / Driver Assist / Park Assist / Adapt. Cruise / Moonroof / Navigation -- Took delivery 04/16/13

194152.png

#6 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Does the automatic braking only work when the cruise is set ON with the adaptive cruise?

It won't brake in regular everyday traffic the way you describe it?

Yes, that's how I understand it. It also doesn't brake the car fully to a stop, it only brakes a certain amount to keep it at the preset distance (with adaptive cruise on) and if it decides it needs more braking because of an impending collision the collison avoidance lights will flash and the driver must take over. The collision avoidance does precharge the brakes if it senses an impending collison but it won't stop the car for you. I've believe Volvo has a system where it actually brakes the car to a complete stop. I think Audi also has a system, or one in the works.

#7 OFFLINE   RedLdr1

RedLdr1

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 42 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion SE, 2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

The ACC only slows the car down when the Cruise Control is ON.  There are five distance settings you can choose between for how close the system allows you to get before cutting power.  The only time the collision alarm seems to sound on my FFH, and on my old SHO, is when someone slows to turn in front of me and leaves my lane partially blocked.  I tend to keep a good distance behind other vehicles so it doesn't get to much usage.

• djminfll likes this

Wayne

2013 Fusion SE Hybrid White Platinum Pearl Metallic with Dune Leather and 505A Luxury Package

2013 C-MAX SEL Ruby Red Metallic with Medium Light Stone Leather Interior and 303A Package / Panoramic Roof

2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG "TRI GLIDE™ ULTRA CLASSIC®" Ember Red Sunglo / Merlot

186886.png     166907.png     217447.png

#8 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

So I was going around a traffic circle today and a car was in the right lane in the circle just ahead of me. For some reason the collision avoidance system went off twice and it actually almost brought the car to a stop automatically. I guess since I was on a curve maybe it got confused?? Also, I never thought it was actually supposed to brake (my cruise control wasn't on), just precharged the brakes, but it actual brakes rather abruptly. Weird!

#9 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

So I was going around a traffic circle today and a car was in the right lane in the circle just ahead of me. For some reason the collision avoidance system went off twice and it actually almost brought the car to a stop automatically. I guess since I was on a curve maybe it got confused?? Also, I never thought it was actually supposed to brake (my cruise control wasn't on), just precharged the brakes, but it actual brakes rather abruptly. Weird!

The collision warning will never activate the brakes.  I'm guessing that you probably got startled by the warning and subconsciously hit the brake pedal without even realizing it.

#10 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 952 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

If the Adaptive Cruise Control is on, it will brake for you, it won't if its not on. If the pre-collision warning was activated, the system may have detected a vehicle in your path STRAIGHT AHEAD OF YOU, rather than reading the direction of the lane. Mine does it when I go around one particular curve on the expressway almost every time.

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 09/12/2017

662937.png

#11 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Mine went off the other day. Someone, was across the intersection from me and waiting to make a left turn and was already partially in the intersection.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#12 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

The collision warning will never activate the brakes.  I'm guessing that you probably got startled by the warning and subconsciously hit the brake pedal without even realizing it.

Haha uhhhhhh no. In fact, I was hitting the gas pedal trying to get it to speed up so people wouldn't run into the back of me. Maybe it was a malfuntion. I definitely didn't hit the brakes subconsciously and definitely didn't have cruise on.

#13 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Haha uhhhhhh no. In fact, I was hitting the gas pedal trying to get it to speed up so people wouldn't run into the back of me. Maybe it was a malfuntion. I definitely didn't hit the brakes subconsciously and definitely didn't have cruise on.

Kind of like the opposite of unintended acceleration.  People swear they are hitting the brake but they are actually hitting the gas.  It just doesn't have the ability to use the brake when there's a collision warning.  That would be like saying you tried to change the radio station and the brakes came on.  If it's a malfunction it's a MAJOR malfunction.

Edited by Waldo, 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Double post

Edited by Waldo, 09 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Yep. Seems to have been a major malfunction then. I've had the collision warning go off probably 7 or 8 times before so it doesn't startle me when it happens. I was going around the curve and it went off with my foot on the accelerator and started to slow down abruptly. That's when I tried to actually speed up because my foot was still on the accelerator. I knew how the system was supposed to work as you can see from an earlier post I has posted on this thread.

#16 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 128 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'93 Integra, Fusion Energi

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Burried in the car manual describes pre-loading the brakes when the warning goes off so you have faster brake response. Adaptive CC will brake down to 20ish MPH.

178794.png178796.png

Fusion Energi [P0S, J4, 800A, 53B, 60N, 13B]

Ordered: 10-Jan-2013

Built: 24-May-2013

Delivered: 7-JUN-2013 (149 days)

#17 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yeah but does pre-loading the brakes actually cause a sudden decrease in speed? I thought pre-loading just meant the brakes were charged and ready to go at a much quicker response time, not that it would actually slow down the car. And since adaptive cruise wasn't on why would the car slow down.

#18 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

It was scared?    That is a puzzler, mine goes of a lot and has never slowed down. You probably didnt look, but if it did apply braking, your battery recharge would also be going. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#19 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yeah mine has gone off a lot too and hasn't slowed down before. I was also going around a curve pretty slowly, it was a traffic circle in the middle of D.C. Weird. Maybe it was scared like you said, ha.

#20 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 952 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Mine only brakes when the ACC is on. I have had a couple of close calls where someone cut me off or blew a stop sign, and the strip of red lights in front of me flashed along with an audible alarm, but the brakes did not apply. It does, however, brake when the ACC is on. One of my pet peeves with the ACC is that the brakes will be applied sometimes if I'm in the middle lane and someone turns into the right lane, or if someone brakes in the right lane before making a turn. As I posted earlier in this thread, it always brakes when I am on the expressway at the same spot - the road is curving to the left and the system thinks I am driving straight ahead and am about to collide with the car in the right lane that is also curving left. I now release the ACC as I am approaching the curve, then resume once I am past it.

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 09/12/2017

662937.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·