mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

Well, today my wife tried to start her 2013 (22 months old) and the battery was totally dead. After a jump, we got the STOP SAFELY message and Ford Roadside Assistance (at the Dealer's recommendation) towed it to the dealership. Now waiting for evaluation.

Update: Ford Towed the car to the dealership. BIG CUDOS to Ford Roadside Assistance. Courtesy, speed and efficiency were TOP NOTCH! The technician towing the car had to energize the 12V circuits via the engine compartment to allow enough juice to open the trunk and jump start the battery so he could get the car out of my garage and onto the flatbed truck. The dealership said it started just fine upon arrival ????? They are keeping it overnight to see if it starts in the morning.

Hey Fastronaut,

Any updates on your Fusion Hybrid this morning?

Meagan

I just picked up the 2013 Fusion HyTi at the dealers. Here is exactly what they noted and found (This could happen to you as well):

11331 UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN OF NEEDING TO BE JUMP STARTED, CONTACTED CUSTOMER WAS INFORMED STOP SAFELY NOW AND WRENCH LIGHT ALSO APPEARED ON DASH. EEC TESTED AND RECEIVED NUMEROUS NETWORK DTC'S U0253, U0265 ETC. FOUND RELATED SSM 44614 AND REMOVED CENTER CONSOLE SIDE TRIM PANEL AND DC/AC INVERTER TO BE ABLE TO INSPECT HARNESS FOR RUM THROUGH CONDITION. FOUND A RUB THROUGH ON A WIRE IN HARNESS 14401 NEAR CONNECTOR 3501. REPAIRED WIRE AND INSTALLED FOAM TAPE AROUND THE INVERTER TO PREVENT FUTURE HARNESS CONCERNS, RE-TESTED. NO LIGHTS ARE PRESENT. COMPLETE.

Evidently, it took 22 months for this condition to occur. the only moving part in the center console is the automatic shifter. Hopefully, our 2014 won't exhibit the same concern at some future time.

Doesn't the center console get removed as part of the RCM replacement for the 14S21 recall? I'm pretty sure it does, and hope that in the course of the 14S21 work they inspect this affected harness/wire area and insulate it better (per the SSM) as a preventive measure. As for me, when it's time to actually get the RCM replaced per the recall I will ask them to also perform the SSM 44614 action to protect the harness/wires better and maybe prevent this happening to either of mine.

Megan - Sorry ... the mileage was 11331 and the symptoms were battery dead. After Ford Roadside Service connected a 12V external source to allow the electrical system to engage, WRENCH LIGHT and STOP SAFELY NOW message.

No worries! :)

I'm glad to hear everything's been taken care of. Please let me know if you need me for anything.

Meagan

The best thing I can suggest is to establish a good working relationship with the Service Manager. That way, you can create an advocate to help with any service technician problems. It sounds obvious but many just don't do it. Quash the anger and simply apply logic... a la Mr. Spock

That is very good advice.

I had my Fusion at the dealer on Thursday, where they did a more in-depth check of everything and determined they needed to "reprogram" the computer that controls the charging. I didn't ask specifically, but I'm guessing this was one of the TSBs talked about earlier in this thread, probably 13-7-11. It worked great Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. Didn't drive it Saturday or Sunday, then this morning it wouldn't start. Battery is completely dead, no lights, no locks, etc. Going to contact my dealer and have them tow it to their service department and have another look. This is getting very old very fast... I have a customer service case open, so hopefully they'll intervene and make sure everything goes smoothly, as well.

I just checked your case, and I see you were in touch with your CSM yesterday. He'll follow-up with you on the 15th. Were you able to get towed to your dealer?

Meagan

Roadside assistance sent someone out and got it jumped, which worked on the first try. I drove it to the dealer and left it with them overnight. Hopefully today they'll figure out what's really causing my issues and get it back to me all fixed up. I've been working with one service manager the whole time and he understands my concerns and has been pretty accommodating so far. I also talked to the shop foreman yesterday so he could make sure he understood all the aspects of the problem and the exact course of events, but it didn't sound like he had a good idea of where to start, so hopefully he'll have a good helpful conversation with Ford engineering and come up with a solution.

Happy to hear it! Did your CSM get in touch with you today?

Meagan

He left a message, but I hadn't picked up my car yet so I didn't get a chance to call back (I will this afternoon). I picked it up yesterday evening; they said they changed the battery after searching for a battery drain all day with no luck. Hopefully that takes care of it, but only time will tell.

How's everything going?

Meagan

I talked to my CSM earlier and updated him--after the battery swap everything seems to be going well. No problems starting the car, and no battery saver messages so far.

Happy to hear it! I'll be around if you need me. :)

Meagan