Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Cooling system stinks up car even in winter

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MD_Fusion_Lover

MD_Fusion_Lover

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 21 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:was: 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium now: 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

After nearly four months, the car I love, I now HATE to get into.  

Mine has just started to develop the HORRIBLE MUSTY smell for the first ~30 seconds of A/C use.  It was slight at first (about a week ago) and I attributed it to the cooler weather/not getting much use.  Every day I made a conscious effort to turn it on to see if it went away and now it is almost UNBEARABLE.  I've tried the vents only---no change, w/the heat on at 85 degrees----consistent musty smell the entire time and w/ & w/o recirculated air.  The musty smell will only go away after the A/C runs at a very cool temperature and then it returns after it sits for a bit, even after a quick trip into the store, but much worse if it sits overnight.

I have a service appointment for this Saturday and will also be asking for the 13B07 software upgrade.  Will post any information that my dealer might share.  Judging from the recent posts I wonder if it might become a larger concern for more FFH owners.

(Forgot to add that it does appear that the condensation is still coming out of the underside of the car....assuming that's what's dripping in the rear passenger side area.)

Edited by MD_Fusion_Lover, 12 September 2013 - 04:21 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yep, there are a number of us with this same issue. There has to be a bigger problem here that needs to be addressed by Ford.

I agree it's awful getting into my car and having to smell that. Mine smells like a wet dog when I turn the a/c on or run the fan.

It makes the entire expirence of a car I love into one that is awful.

I've had my car in the service department on two separate occassions, each time they said they fixed it and sprayed mold, mildew killing solution in it. But the day after I get the car back the smell is back.

• MD_Fusion_Lover likes this

#23 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Yup it's pretty bad. Since I have a specific system of getting onto the highway briefly before I even turn on the AC, I'm not noticing it as much now. I'm going to be embarrassed the next time I have someone else in my car and turn on the AC.

• fusionTX likes this

#24 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

I was just thinking the same thing today. The stink is bad and seems to be getting worse. Has anybody had this issue looked at or gotten it resolved?
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#25 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

I wonder if it could be the air filter, only way to know is to remove it and see.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#26 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

But if it is the air filter then why is it getting so smelly so quickly on some cars and others are not? I keep the inside of my car spotless and stink free so it's weird if that would be the cause ha.

#27 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Have you guys checked built date vs. delivery date?
Maybe the cars that produce this smell were sitting in the Mexican sun or somewhere else for a while?

We have seen some really bad looking engine compartments after delivery in the past.

Just my thoughts...
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#28 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

As far as I could tell my car was put immediatley on the train after it was built. But here are my stats in case it correlates with others who are having the same problem.

Build Date: April 3, 2013

Delivery Date: April 18, 2013

#29 OFFLINE   MD_Fusion_Lover

MD_Fusion_Lover

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 21 posts
  • Current Vehicle:was: 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium now: 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

As I wait for my appointment tomorrow, I continue to try to figure out where the stench is coming from.    

It seems that if I use the A/C with the windshield/upper & floor vents the smell is almost (totally?) unnoticeable.  I left this combination

on when I ran in the store and when I restarted the car, the smell was still not there.  Switched to the Max A/C w/ the center vents going and

there it was.  So I'm thinking that the source of the musty smell has to be coming from the center dash vents as if there is a pool of mildewed

water or some component that is blocked.  

Riggo above mentioned the wet dog smell and it is spot on!  Kind of like a wet dog who rolled on a pool cover covered with green slime, wet leaves,

and other horrible smelling decaying matter. 

• SteveB_TX likes this

#30 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Whew! Glad my Z still smells like cow skin, and only cow skin!

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

#31 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

I wish the internet had smell-o-vision so those of you without the problem could smell it. It's really awful. If I have anyone else ride in the car I'm completely embarrassed.

Edited by Riggo, 13 September 2013 - 04:20 PM.

• hybridbear likes this

#32 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

I agree that is a really awful smell I had the same issue with my previous car (HHR) and I always apologized when someone was getting into my car.

It went to the dealer at least 3x but it was never fixed they just sprayed something into the vents and the smell was back within a month.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#33 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

You need to locate the intake and spray a heavy dose of lysol in it while the system is running in the position is smells in. I dont know where the intake is located though, but chances are, thats where the smell is coming from.  When set to Max AC it closes the recirculation door and pulls air from inside only, so my guess is the stink is in that area.

Does it stink if only heat is on, AC off and recirculation engaged?

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#34 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Mine actually stunk tonight when there was no air at all on! I could smell it in the actual vents if I put my nose right up to them but I didn't have to do that to smell it, it permiated the entire vehcile. I had just had a car wash earlier in the day (just water no brushes, I can't bring myself to ever take my car to a car wash with any type of brushes, shamies, etc.).

I need to figure out what to do about this because it's to the point where I don't even want to be in the car. I am afraid to try to spray lysol in it because I want the root of the problem fixed, if I spray the lysol it may mask the problem for a while. A car that's a little over 4 months old shouldn't have this problem.

Arghhh... I need to find out how to contact Ford directly and have a Ford corporate master tech come check out my car personally ha. That will never happen though.

I feel like the annoying guy on here that complains about stupid things, but if you guys could smell what I smell you'd be livid as well :rant:

• hybridbear likes this

#35 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Mine stinks with the AC on or the fan only on with no ac (ac/max ac/ac move). If I have the AC on it will usually go away within 30 seconds or so, but sometimes it lasts longer. It's been far worse in the last few days for some reason though.

You need to locate the intake and spray a heavy dose of lysol in it while the system is running in the position is smells in. I dont know where the intake is located though, but chances are, thats where the smell is coming from.  When set to Max AC it closes the recirculation door and pulls air from inside only, so my guess is the stink is in that area.

Does it stink if only heat is on, AC off and recirculation engaged?

#36 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

I need to figure out what to do about this because it's to the point where I don't even want to be in the car. I am afraid to try to spray lysol in it because I want the root of the problem fixed, if I spray the lysol it may mask the problem for a while. A car that's a little over 4 months old shouldn't have this problem.

The root of the problem is mold growing in the system.  Lysol will kill mold so it's not just masking the smell.  So how did the mold spores get into the system?  The filter should have stopped them.  Is moisture getting to the filter to allow mold growth on the filter?  Is the filter missing or damaged allowing mold spores free access to enter the system?

#37 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Yeah but the dealer service dept said they sprayed the mold killing solution throughout the entire system yet the smell was back the day after I took it there. I don't know if Lysol would really do the job and if it did, like you said, why is this happening in the first place.

#38 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

Yesterday, it cooled off in Houston after some afternoon rains, so I decided to drive home with windows open, no A/C.

After a while I decided to put the climate control on "fresh" air only.

it was, as described by others,  very moldy nasty smelling air that was blowing through. And unlike when running the A/C, the smell persists.

This is the most disappointing thing about my car. If this is not fixed, I will not last long with this car.

I will be calling my dealer soon, but want to do a little more research first.

Some of you in the humid areas should try using your fresh air-only.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#39 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

I will be calling my dealer soon, but want to do a little more research first.

Some of you in the humid areas should try using your fresh air-only.

Yes if I don't turn on the AC and just run air through the car the smell seems to persist. I'm hoping someone finds a solution to this soon. I will note that it was 45 this morning so I had to turn the heat on for a bit and I didn't smell anything.

#40 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Could there be a crack, leak, etc in the cowl vent causing water to get into the system? I didn't even know what a cowl vent was but I've been trying to research a solution. Like fusion_tx said, I don't know how much longer I can last with this car with the smell. I love everything else about the car must this smell is driving me insane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·