Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Camshaft Position Sensor: P0340, P0341 Service Dept says moisture damage multiple times?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TheBard74

TheBard74

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

28,000 miles

I've been getting P0340 and P0341 codes multiple times in the past 6 months.

I've taken it into the local Ford service shop three times total now, twice in the last month.

Each time they've replaced the camshaft position sensor, and have told me the problem is that the sensor went bad due to condensation buildup.  Their solution was that I should drive it more often for longer a duration so the engine runs more and so condensation doesn't build up.  Or run with defrost on so the engine runs more, again to reduce condensation.

That sounds like a terrible excuse to me.  My driving habits haven't changed in the 4 years I've owned the car, so why would condensation just now start to be a problem?  The service dept says they've run multiple diagnostic tests and don't find any other problems, just the camshaft position sensor going bad due to moisture/condensation damage.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ethermion

ethermion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'01 Cougar
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

Well, the codes just mean that the CPU is getting odd data from the cam position sensor.  It doesn't mean the sensor is bad.  Codes are clues, not truths.

Smells like a bad dealer to me.

Never heard of this.  Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

#3 OFFLINE   TheBard74

TheBard74

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

They say the sensor is corroded, thus the reason for the error codes. But I keep asking them why does it keep getting corroded, and they say condensation from the engine not running. No answer to why I haven't had this problem in any of the previous years of ownership.

#4 OFFLINE   TheBard74

TheBard74

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

On Tuesday they said car is done, code fixed etc.  I pick up my car about 4pm, drive to the store less than a mile away.  As I'm driving I can hear the higher RPMs of the engine which I've come to attribute as a warning sign to the camshaft problem.  Sure enough as I'm leaving the store, check engine light comes on... less than 30min from leaving the dealership.

So obviously I take it back immediately and tell them I'm not happy.  Clearly the camshaft sensor is not the problem, or they didn't actually do a darn thing when it was in there.  I know for a fact they didn't drive it anywhere because I reset the Trip 1 reading.  Getting pretty frustrated here.

#5 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

This is all BS from this dealer. Try to take it somewhere else. This car is designed for the engine not to run a lot.

#6 OFFLINE   TheBard74

TheBard74

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

New updates. 

Area on the camshaft where the sensor reads is rusty, so Ford is advising to replace the camshaft.  They still say rust is coming from the moisture that accumulates from cold weather and not running the engine for a long enough duration at a time.

But even before replacing the camshaft, now they're having problems even getting the car to start. Electronics aren't communicating now or something.

They've sent multiple diagnostic readouts and meter readings to Ford for them to review and send back some answers as to what's going on.

As soon as they get this running I'm selling it.  Only 28,000 miles, I shouldn't be having problems like this.

Edit:

Computer is toast, which is why the car won't start.  Dealer is ordering a new PCM, which should let the car start.  Previously readings from the cam sensor had 2 glitches about every 3 seconds like clockwork.  So they're thinking maybe the computer was glitching out causing the weird readings.  So remains to be seen if the glitches will still happen after they get a new PCM installed.  If glitches go away, then PCM was the underlying problem.  If glitches remain, then they'll probably replace the camshaft since it was rusty.

Edit2:

So they put in a new computer, still had bad readings.  Problem ended up being a bad camshaft position sensor.  The sensor was affecting voltage on the computer, causing it to do weird things.  They replaced the position sensor, and now everything is reading perfectly.  They probably didn't need to replace the computer, but too late now since they already did.  Said car is ready to be picked up.  They said they drove it a bit and everything seems perfectly normal, so we'll see how that goes once I pick it up.

Edited by TheBard74, 25 April 2018 - 11:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·