Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Two different DRL?

Best Answer Cobra348 , 07 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

I figured this out!  Thanks to a local Fusion owner who was willing to stop for a bit, I know why the 2 DRL styles.

1.  Standard Fusion comes with Level 1 taillight setup and the LED DRL under the headlights.

2.  If Option Pkg 602A is added or (at least) Driver Assist (requires 602A), then the taillights change to Level 3 and the DRL becomes the eyebrow/hashmark as I have.

I mention **at least** with the Driver Assist because that forces the addition of 602A.  Other options may do that as well but I didn't bother to check.  Also, regardless of the DRL style these are both referred to as "LED signature lighting" in the features of the car.

Taillight levels: For those who don't know, a Level 1 (standard) taillight setup lights only the lamp part in the fenders.  Level 3 taillights additionally light up the trunk segments (essentially full taillights).

I can rest easy now ... my curiosity is satisfied. :love_shower:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

I'm posting here but probably should be in Lighting or something.

I travel regularly to Rochester, NY which is about 80 miles west of my primary residence.  What I have seen over the past few months are '17 Fusions (going the other way, dammit) with a different set of DRL than I have on my car.  I finally saw one today going my way and sure enough it had DRL that was different than mine.  It was a '17 model from Ontario Canada.

Here's the kicker ... other than todays car all the others have been NY tagged.  My FFH has what I call an eyebrow DRL with a hashmark leg at the grille end.  These other cars have DRL under the headlight with upturned ends at the grille and turn signal.  These appear to all be gas models ... not Hybrid/Energi.

Can anyone shed light on this?  Do the gas models have different LED DRL than FFH?  I also should mention these other DRL were not LED strips applied to the lip under the headlights but were part of the light unit.

Edited by Cobra348, 21 January 2018 - 10:59 PM.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

That's just the difference between the "base" lights and the "LED signature" lights.

#3 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Disagree.  The Canada car was an SE - as mine is, running 17" rims, and level 3 taillights, which means it has essentially the same packages I do.

But it was a gas model.  That's the only thing I can think of for the difference ... gas vs hybrid. 

Edited by Cobra348, 22 January 2018 - 09:52 PM.

Larry - aka Cobra

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Canada has different rules for DRLs, for example the Escape in Canada has to run the fog lamps as DRLs, even when they have the LED strip in the headlights.  So could just be a Canadian thing.

#5 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

The Canada car was NOT running the fog lamps in the faschia (and they were so equipped) ... only the DRL LED strips.  Also, in the original post I noted autos with NY tags also have these different lights.  Looks like dealership time - either parts or sales as service rarely knows stuff like this.

SIDEBAR:  I blacked out the chrome bars on my grille but now salt kickup is really taking a toll.  Normally I'd wait until Spring and simply redo the paint ... but I got to wondering: Will the Fusion Sport grille swap in?  It appears it would but one never knows.  Another reason to go see dealer folks.

Edited by Cobra348, 23 January 2018 - 11:51 AM.

Larry - aka Cobra

#6 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Talking with a couple sales folks and parts gurus all we can determine is that the light units I saw were either a) from an eBay source that set them differently or b) were indeed strips added  under the lights.  None of us however could figure out WHY someone would add strips under the headlights when they had an LED DRL as part of the unit.  Also, as part of the discussion, I found out they do bring cars in from Canada and then all they change are the vehicle settings from Metric to SAE units.  The DRL are eyebrow/hashmark if so equipped.

===

Grille:  I asked if the Fusion Sport grille would swap without issues and the answer was yes.  My concern was the clips and things because I know that Fiesta grilles had some different clip fasteners in the beginning.  Sooo, based on that positive answer I asked what the cost was.  Get this ...

Fusion Sport upper grille - $676+

Fusion Platinum upper grille - $512+

These are Ford Parts Catalog prices. Add about 2-2.5 hours shop time for the swap and it gets pretty expensive.  I might see if an eBay source has some ... dunno yet.

Looks like Duplicolor and masking tape in the Spring.  Damn!  I so wanted to stop doing that. <sigh>

Edited by Cobra348, 28 January 2018 - 05:38 PM.

Larry - aka Cobra

#7 OFFLINE   Unearthed

Unearthed

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2018 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2018

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

I just picked up my 18 FFH SE.  It has led strips under the headlights as you are describing.  I do not have the LED headlights.

#8 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:08 AM

I wasn't able to stop and check the years on all the ones I've seen ... but there is a white one in my area and I'll try to track them down.  Thanks for confirming I'm not going crazy.  All I gotta do is get drivers to pull over so I can verify!  Right! <chhuckle>

Larry - aka Cobra

#9 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:21 PM   Best Answer

I figured this out!  Thanks to a local Fusion owner who was willing to stop for a bit, I know why the 2 DRL styles.

1.  Standard Fusion comes with Level 1 taillight setup and the LED DRL under the headlights.

2.  If Option Pkg 602A is added or (at least) Driver Assist (requires 602A), then the taillights change to Level 3 and the DRL becomes the eyebrow/hashmark as I have.

I mention **at least** with the Driver Assist because that forces the addition of 602A.  Other options may do that as well but I didn't bother to check.  Also, regardless of the DRL style these are both referred to as "LED signature lighting" in the features of the car.

Taillight levels: For those who don't know, a Level 1 (standard) taillight setup lights only the lamp part in the fenders.  Level 3 taillights additionally light up the trunk segments (essentially full taillights).

I can rest easy now ... my curiosity is satisfied. :love_shower:

Edited by Cobra348, 07 February 2018 - 07:57 PM.

Larry - aka Cobra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·