ptjones

How to Drive a FORD Fusion Hybrid to get Great Gas Mileage

Well my Fuelly average went up to 49.1 mpg now and this is some encouragement for others that even with 208k miles your average can still go up. Last Tank I got 61.3 mpg.smile.png

Paul

I replaced my two rear tires with 78k mi. with new Michelin OEM tires and already have 5k mi. on them, it seems I have lost maybe a 1 mpg with the new tires. This backs up what people have said that mpg's improve with tire wear. That being said I'm still getting 61 mpg on Smart Gauge and looking to get 800 mi. on this tank. Currently have 620 miles.smile.png My old Michelin OEM tires on the front have 83k mi. and should make 90k mi. using 50 psi tire pressure.

Paul

Well I finished the tank with 825 mi./59.3 mpg with 50% HWY and my Fuelly.com average went up to 49.2 MPG with 212K miles on the Odometer.smile.png

Paul

And it just keeps going up. smile.png Life Time Score 50.2 mpg and Fuelly.com average 49.2 mpg, 55.5 mpg average for the last 10 fill ups. Also I haven't reset trip 2 in about 76k miles and My Smart Gauge average is 54 mpg. Bottom line is even with 212k miles on the Odometer you can improve your Life Time average MPG's if you want too. smile.png post-143-0-21206000-1539443162_thumb.jpg

Paul

BTW Grill Covers protect your shutters from being damaged from snow and ice. :)

Paul

Without sifting through the thread, if the FFH has a 14 G tank, then why when I'm down to 15 miles to go does it fill only 12 gallons

Wouldn't it be closer to 13.5 at the time of 15 miles to go?

Unless Ford wants 2 gallons in the tank at all times...

Without sifting through the thread, if the FFH has a 14 G tank, then why when I'm down to 15 miles to go does it fill only 12 gallons

Wouldn't it be closer to 13.5 at the time of 15 miles to go?

Unless Ford wants 2 gallons in the tank at all times...

The owner's manual (for my 2015 FFH) says the FFH fuel tank capacity is 13.5 gallons and the FFE is 14 gallons.

I filled up yesterday and got Premium for $2.63/gal at Sam's Club Buford, GA 13.1 gallons for $34.46. smile.png With average temps going down MPG's are going down a little too. I started out yesterday at 57.6 mpg with 525 miles on the tank, drove to North Georgia Mountains taking pics of Fall Leaves changing colors and Water Falls. About 200 miles later my MPG's had dropped to 56.6 mpg when I filled up and actual Fuelly 54.8 mpg. If you haven't put Grill Covers on your car yet maybe you should. Oil Pan Heaters help to warm up the ICE quicker too. smile.png

Paul

I filled up yesterday and got Premium for $2.63/gal at Sam's Club Buford, GA 13.1 gallons for $34.46. smile.png With average temps going down MPG's are going down a little too. I started out yesterday at 57.6 mpg with 525 miles on the tank, drove to North Georgia Mountains taking pics of Fall Leaves changing colors and Water Falls. About 200 miles later my MPG's had dropped to 56.6 mpg when I filled up and actual Fuelly 54.8 mpg. If you haven't put Grill Covers on your car yet maybe you should. Oil Pan Heaters help to warm up the ICE quicker too. smile.png

Paul

What was the speed limit and what was your average speed?

What was the speed limit and what was your average speed?

Not sure what you are asking for, the trip was about 200 miles till I filled up, started from my home to I-85 about 6 miles, 45 mph, MPG's were still at 57.6 mpg, it's uphill some to the FWY. Then it was 102 miles up I-85 with speeds of 75-50 mph with some slow down in Atlanta, by the time I got to GA-63 my average had climbed to 58 mpg. With the constant going up and down sharp hills, corners and no drafting help, speeds 45-70 mph mpg's slowly went down for the next 100 miles to end up with Smart Gauge average of 56.7 mpg/Fuelly average of 54.8 mpg. My average speed for the tank, 718 miles was 36.6 mph with 30% city. :)

Paul

Sorry, asked the question wrong.

What was the speed limit and in that limit how fast were you normally driving?

I usually drive up to the speed limit to 5 under staying in right lane. On the FWY I try to draft big trucks that are going in my speed range if possible. It's hard to draft off the FWY, traffic speeds are all over the place so you end up going what's traffic is doing or if by yourself what is comfortable. :) Using my MODS and Driving techniques is worth 10 mpg improvement in mpg's. BTW drafting is worth 2 to 5 mpg depending on wind conditions. Driving 70 mph and over kills your mpg's. ;(

Paul

I usually drive up to the speed limit to 5 under staying in right lane. On the FWY I try to draft big trucks that are going in my speed range if possible. It's hard to draft off the FWY, traffic speeds are all over the place so you end up going what's traffic is doing or if by yourself what is comfortable. :) Using my MODS and Driving techniques is worth 10 mpg improvement in mpg's. BTW drafting is worth 2 to 5 mpg depending on wind conditions. Driving 70 mph and over kills your mpg's. ;(

Paul

How close are you drafting? Hope your following a safe distance using the 2 second rule.

How close are you drafting? Hope your following a safe distance using the 2 second rule.

Average about 100 ft., That rule is to hard to use, not convenient to use so nobody uses it. The most important RULE to use is to pay attention to what is going on in front, all around you all the time. Scientifically the safest place to draft is on the back bumper of Semi. that way you can't hit the truck and get injured. Nobody is going to do that. If you are paying attention you can easily out stop a Semi. If you watched my YouTube video on Hypermiling you would see that I don't recommend doing it unless you going to pay attention all the time. It's not for lazy people. :)

Paul

It's not for lazy people. :)

No, it's for reckless people that that don't care about putting themselves or others in danger.

No, it's for reckless people that that don't care about putting themselves or others in danger.

Apparently it would be reckless for you, but I bet you are one of those drivers that tailgates on the Interstate around town too but I guess that's different. Obviously some people think 100 ft. is plenty of room, I will call it "Extended Drafting", it's a personal thing it would seem. I figure I have 1.5 million FWY miles in 40 years and never had an accident doing Extended Drafting, must be doing something right. :)

Paul

I would agree. Sometimes its not worth it to try and squeeze every mpg out of it.

Average about 100 ft., That rule is to hard to use, not convenient to use so nobody uses it. The most important RULE to use is to pay attention to what is going on in front, all around you all the time. Scientifically the safest place to draft is on the back bumper of Semi. that way you can't hit the truck and get injured. Nobody is going to do that. If you are paying attention you can easily out stop a Semi. If you watched my YouTube video on Hypermiling you would see that I don't recommend doing it unless you going to pay attention all the time. It's not for lazy people. :)

Paul

How is 2 seconds hard to use?

If your drafting a semi, how do you know what the road conditions/hazzards are ahead of the truck, since you can't see?

At least I hope your positioning your car far enough back where the truck driver can see you in his mirrors.

In your video, you talk about coasting downhill in neutral and back into drive continuously at highway speeds. Are you sure your not stressing/shocking anything in the drivetrain doing that? Also thought that was illegal to coast in neutral as your doing.

Edited by billford

Of course you can out-brake a truck, even from only 100ft back. But what happens if that truck plows into another truck? It's going to stop way faster than you can and no matter how much you're paying attention, you won't see it coming.

My YouTube videos views are up to 11,325 and 88 likes. :) It is amazing that after 1 1/2 years more and more people are interested in improving their MPG's.

I would agree. Sometimes its not worth it to try and squeeze every mpg out of it. You forgot the FUN Factor. :)

How is 2 seconds hard to use? It has no value for Extended Drafting and if you have Adaptive Cruise Control it would be easy for you to Extended Draft safely. :)

If your drafting a semi, how do you know what the road conditions/hazzards are ahead of the truck, since you can't see? If you haven't done it how would you even know, I can see just fine Thank You.

At least I hope your positioning your car far enough back where the truck driver can see you in his mirrors. You are talking like you weren't paying attention to My video, does the truck look close, I don't think so.

In your video, you talk about coasting downhill in neutral and back into drive continuously at highway speeds. Are you sure your not stressing/shocking anything in the drivetrain doing that? A CVT Hybrid Trans can't be disengaged, putting it in neutral stops regen so no stress going on here. Also thought that was illegal to coast in neutral as your doing. Hybrids coast in EV some of the time when the ICE isn't running. It is illegal in some States, but impossible ​to prove. I always drive with my hand on the shiftier so I can quickly shift back to Drive when I'm sitting at a long stop light or fast food line to keep from using more than necessary amount electricity from the HVB.

After you have tried these MPG Tips out let us know how you did. :)

Of course you can out-brake a truck, even from only 100ft back. But what happens if that truck plows into another truck? And the truck isn't going to try to stop? It's going to stop way faster than you can and no matter how much you're paying attention, you won't see it coming. Your example is plain silly, It hasn't happened in 40 years. That's like saying a car could loose control and come across the median and hit you head on killing you or if you were drafting it would have hit the truck saving your life. This would be a good reason to Draft all the time, right?

In the future Post on my thread after you have tried all my MPG tips and let us know how you did. Some members would like to here about others results. Thanks :)

Paul

My YouTube videos views are up to 11,325 and 88 likes. :) It is amazing that after 1 1/2 years more and more people are interested in improving their MPG's.

In the future Post on my thread after you have tried all my MPG tips and let us know how you did. Some members would like to here about others results. Thanks :)

Paul

I guess the u tube videos are amazing with less than .8% likes.

So you know its illegal to coast downhill but you still do it because its impossible to prove? I guess that's ok if your above the law.

I couldn't really tell if the truck was close to you because your camera was not directed out the windshield, but I did get an excellent view of your steering wheel and dashboard.

Your right, I have not tried drafting big trucks or any other vehicle, I'd rather keep more than a safe distance away as your supposed to do.

I also hope someone else tries your techniques and posts the results, I'm not brave enough...

I guess the u tube videos are amazing with less than .8% likes. I will make it a little clearer for you 88 likes and 5 dislikes which makes 94% like my YouTube videos vs 6% that don't. :) BTW my videos are the first ones that I have ever done, not very professional and yet many people thanked for doing them. :) I appreciated that given all the work that was required to make them.

So you know its illegal to coast downhill but you still do it because its impossible to prove? I guess that's ok if your above the law. And some states it's not the Law, I don't see a safety problem for me.

I couldn't really tell if the truck was close to you because your camera was not directed out the windshield, but I did get an excellent view of your steering wheel and dashboard. You're just saying that anyone can see the truck isn't close.

Your right, I have not tried drafting big trucks or any other vehicle, I'd rather keep more than a safe distance away as your supposed to do. After 40 years of experience I would say is safe enough for me.

I also hope someone else tries your techniques and posts the results, I'm not brave enough... Would it make a difference to you? I don't think so, so there is no reason for you to be on this thread. It's is sad that some people aren't brave enough to get out of their BOX, but some want to know things that can be done to improve their MPG's and this thread is for them. They can decide what they want to do.

Paul

Common sense, facts, input from automotive engineers, traffic laws and the safety of other motorists mean nothing to a charlatan. He will continue to peddle snake oil and believe what he wants to believe. Nothing is going to change that.

Edited by Texasota

I've never tried it, but when you block off the front grille, how hot does the invertor temperature get?

Do you keep the grille blocked even if the invertor pump keeps running trying to cool the invertor down?

At what temperature do you unblock the grille to protect the electronics?

Also, does this apply to you: https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-40/chapter-6/article-11/40-6-246/

Edited by billford

Common sense, facts, input from automotive engineers, traffic laws and the safety of other motorists mean nothing to a charlatan. He will continue to peddle snake oil and believe what he wants to believe. Nothing is going to change that.

The guy is fruit loops. I love our car, but have no desire to die in it - or even worse, hurt someone else.

Is there a forum feature to take up a collection - for necessary medications?

Hmm. If packing tape is great on your front grille, I wonder how it works on hands and mouths...