Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Job, new commute

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Griswald

Griswald

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 297 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

Got a new job that will alter my commute drastically.  Since I bought my '14 FFH, I have put 33702.4 miles mostly from my 9 + 9 mile commute on fairly easy driving roads with a lifetime MPG average of 43.8.  I had it up to 44.1, but a 2000 mile drive with a kayak on the roof getting around 30 MPG cut it way back, took more than a year to get back to the 43.8.

My new commute is 30.5 + 30.5 miles with 25.5 of it on a 4 lane divided highway with a speed limit of 55.  There are 2 towns (very small) that have a mile or so of 35 MPH and one red light each, but other than that, its smooth sailing.  There is also very little traffic on that road.

Monday, I got 48 on the way down and 50 on the way back home, today it was raining and I only got 43 on the way here.

I hope this commute gets me higher average numbers, I use eco cruise and keep the speed to within 5 at all times.

P.S.   Yes, it will be worth it to have taken this job.  Better pay and much more interesting work (dealing with nuclear power plants)!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   milleron

milleron

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 314 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

Congratulations on your new job. The new commute is ideal for maximizing mileage. I get similar results on a nearly-identical trip I make often to my rifle range.

However, a good deal of my driving is on urban interstates, and my most frequent trip on them crosses three river valleys, so it's more like a roller coaster than a normal Interstate highway. On this round trip, the speed limit is 65 and my speeds vary from 61 to 69 mph. In order to prevent spending a great deal of time recharging the HVB while getting barely 25-30 instantaneous mpg, I change the speed to keep the ICE running almost all the time. Doing that, I can average about 44-45 mpg roundtrip, but it's a royal PITA, requiring literally constant monitoring of EV function and state of charge.

The very worst thing that Ford ever did to us was the "upgrade" programming of the PCM that occurred in late 2013 when new owners were starting to mumble about class-action suits because actual mileage was worse than EPA figures (47/47 at that time). That update allowed the cars to run in EV mode at speeds far over the previous maximum of 62 mph. What I learned is that these vehicles have no business running in EV mode at speeds over about 60 mph, not even downhill (unless very steep as one might encounter in some mountainous areas). Even on a downgrade at 65 mph, EV driving discharges the battery very quickly, after which one drives at mpg figures of 25-35 mpg for a protracted period of time until the state of charge is high enough to get back over 40 mpg. It's maddening on trips like my Interstate ones.

On your commute, Griswald, as on the trip I describe, our top speeds are low enough that we really can benefit from EV mode on the highway, especially if the traffic is light enough to use pulse-and-glide techniques.

Why, oh why, is there not a way to lock out EV mode on the Ford Fusion Hybrid to prevent its switching into EV mode at speeds I find are too high to use it properly? If there were, I'd keep this car forever. I love it other than Interstate driving. As it is, I'll be exercising my Tesla Model 3 reservation when my number comes up, hopefully early enough to get some amount of federal tax credit.

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Manufactured:  April 9;  Delivered:  April 25

#3 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

My sentiments exactly including the Model 3. I wonder if the higher EV speed wasn't contributory to the transmission bearing failures as the hybrid lacks an electric oil transmission fluid circulation pump that the Energi has.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

So what burns more gas? Running with the ICE at 30mpg for 75% of the time and EV for 25%, or running with the ICE at 40mpg for 100% of the time?

#5 OFFLINE   Griswald

Griswald

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 297 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

The ICE will easily get over 45 MPG at highway speeds, if you keep a really good mind on your driving technique.  The real problem is that it requires total concentration on the gauges and not so much on your surroundings.  That makes for an unsafe driving technique.

Just putting the thing in ECO cruise and not worrying will still do a pretty good job, that's my "commute" technique.  Running around town, I use lots of tricks to maximize my MPG's.  At less-than highway speeds, keeping it in EV mode as long as possible and using the geography to your advantage will get you really good MPG's.  I drive back and forth to a local high school in the evenings.  It is about 18 miles in semi to full city driving and I can easily get 50 MPG.

Everything is a trade off and EV vs. ICE falls into that as well.

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·