Trout74

EV+ And EV please help

I disabled EV+ shortly after we bought our '14 MKZ. I like to start with a high SOC when pulling out of the garage, and EV+ does just the opposite. I find that I can build up SOC when getting near home and the next time I go anywhere, I can start out using EV unless it is too cold and needs the heater, which isn't a common thing here.

I use to think this until Hybridbear reminded us that once your ICE starts it is going to continue running until it reaches a certain engine temperature threshold. HB pointed out that it makes sense to be charging the HVB while the ICE is running during that warmup period. This makes sense to me.

In the warmer climate zones, the ICE many times doesn't start running right away as soon as we start driving. But once the ICE does kick on after the SOC gets low enough, the ICE then seems to run "until it reaches a certain engine temperature threshold" even if I am slowing down or even stopping. Since I live in a warm climate and my ICE usually doesn't kick on as soon as I start driving, I prefer the ICE to start its warm-up phase while I am accelerating for a longer stretch of time, after I get to the higher-speed main thoroughfares, not while I am on the neighborhood streets, where I am driving at speeds just a little over the 25 MPH limit. That way I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Exactly! This is why I turned off EV+ after I figured it out. With EV+ on the HVB would be very low and we'd end up with the ICE idling away while stopped at a traffic light to leave our neighborhood. With EV+ disabled I could control my SOC when coming home to make sure that I'd have enough to get out of the neighborhood before activating the ICE. Once we turned on to the 40 MPH main road then I'd start the ICE. By using the block heater the ICE would be warm enough that it would turn off by the time I had to slow down and stop for the first red traffic light.

HB, is that a change in your earlier explanation/strategy or did I misunderstand your post from many months ago?

I live in NYC, which has crazy temperature extremes. I turn EV+ off during the warmer months. That way, I have a high SOC and on EV when I am getting onto the highway, then I charge the battery when accelerating to speed. During the winter, I turn EV+ on. The battery's going to run to warm up the engine anyway so I might as well drain the battery every evening. That way, it can charge the battery when warming up in the morning.