Sign in to follow this  
machoman1337

Do you like the spoiler? And what is its aerodynamic impact?

Do you guys actually like the spoiler?

I had a spoiler on my 2008 Fusion SEL V6 and I didn't like it at all, as did all of my friends who saw my old car.

When shopping for a new Fusion, I didn't like how almost every Titanium sitting at dealers was equipped with a spoiler. It is possible to factory order a Titanium without the spoiler (and actually save $300!) but I didn't have the cash on hand for that. I admit that the spoiler is "stealthier" than it was on the old Fusion, but the back just looks so much better without it regardless.

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here who finds that trunk lid spoilers make a car less sexy :)

I think they are stupid on the average 4 door sedan and a waste of materials and money and may actually introduce additional drag and be bad for mileage.

With almost any brand these days, you can NOT get a car equipped exactly the way you want it if what you want involves mixing and matching various things from different "packages".

I think the car looks much better with the spoiler. When we bought our car my wife made the decisions on what the car had and did not have. She thought the Fusion looked incomplete without the spoiler. So we got the spoiler.

I have seen very few Titaniums with a spoiler. Most of the cars I have seen with a spoiler are the SE. We have the SE with the Sport package which includes the 5 spoke wheels and spoiler.

Edited by jeffo65

All a matter of personal taste. I like the spoiler, I think the car is incomplete, naked, without it.

Edited by acdii

"I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here who finds that trunk lid spoilers make a car less sexy"

I don't know. I've never found a trunk lid spoiler sexy enough to have sex with it. :wub:

Their only purpose is a styling issue and serve no useful purpose beyong that. Some owners like them others don't. They don't personally appeal to me and they remind of the tail fins incorporated into the car designs of the late 1950s.

According to the order guides ('13 thru '16), the decklid spoiler is standard on the Titanium and part of the optional S/SE Appearance Package, so Most HyTi's you see should have one. I have the AP on mine and personally, I like the spoiler. Makes it look a little "sportier" IMO even if it doesn't have any real aerodynamic value. Just my 2¢.

Ford pretty much made up my mind for me, by which options they elected to put on the different models of FFH, FFE, and MKZh. It made my choice of getting the HySE FFH very easy to make. I couldn't choose the FFE, the MKZh, or the HyTi since they only came with leather. So that left me with the choice between the FFH S and the FFH SE.

Again it was an easy choice for me of the SE over the S, since I had to have the SiriusXM, and I really wanted the sportiness of the 5-spoke wheels and the spoiler that made up the SE Appearance Package. The icing on the cake differences of the SE over the S for me were the power driver's seat and the outside temp on the display.

Otherwise I probably would have gone with the S for maximum fuel economy. BTW, the Order Guide for the 2015 FFH says you can get MFT on the S, but I don't see anywhere to select the MFT option in the Build and Price for the S. Edit: However I just noticed the 2016 Order Guide does _not_ show the MFT as an option on the S.

But I do really, really like that FFH spoiler. :flirt: It is not gaudy, and is so elegantly sporty. To me, the FFH with the 5-spoke wheels and the spoiler is the old fogey grown-up and roomy version of the Mustang, at least as far as looks go.

Edited by Hybrider

As others have said, this is purely a matter of opinion. Beauty is in the eye of... yougettheidea.

I'm split on the choice. I like the overall look and feel of the spoiler on the 2013-current Fusions (the previous generation spoilers were bad). I like how they stop the rear-end being two bumps defined by the tail lights. But I don't like the fact that the spoilers look 'glued' on... they look like an afterthought. All of the other body components look molded/carved out of a single piece of material. The spoiler looks like a last minute fix after the mold was set.

And to be honest, when you asked this question I had to look at photos of my HyTi to see if I had one

To me, the FFH with the 5-spoke wheels and the spoiler is the old fogey grown-up and roomy version of the Mustang, at least as far as looks go.

I agree! And the leather wrapped steering wheel, fog lights and red stitched seats are bonus features that I also like!

The icing on the cake differences of the SE over the S for me were the power driver's seat and the outside temp on the display.

I have a 2015 S and the outside temperature is always displayed on both the drivers instrument panel and also on the radio/HVAC center display (two different locations). I think this was also true for the 2014 S and the 2013 S.

There has been different threads that have discussed differences between the dash displays of the S as compared to the higher trim levels but I don't think there are any.

Edited by Texasota

I think the rear spoiler is used to squeeze out more mpg's through aerodynamics.

I was doing an online build of a 2014 Ford Focus. It has an option for a Super Fuel Economy Package which includes aero hubcaps and a rear spoiler. So I think the spoiler is included for a reason...

Edited by billford

I think the rear spoiler is used to squeeze out more mpg's through aerodynamics.

I was doing an online build of a 2014 Ford Focus. It has an option for a Super Fuel Economy Package which includes aero hubcaps and a rear spoiler. So I think the spoiler is included for a reason...

Probably not so much at the speeds we drive our hybrids most of the time! ☺

That is one thing I have often wondered, is whether the spoiler increases or decreases the aerodynamics of the FFH in typical city speeds, in the 30-50 MPH range.

Nope it has no aerodynamic qualities at all. No downforce from it. Purely for looks. What sucks is you cant get it in the SE Luxury, only the Sport Appearance or Ti.

Nope it has no aerodynamic qualities at all. No downforce from it. Purely for looks. What sucks is you cant get it in the SE Luxury, only the Sport Appearance or Ti.

Yeah, but if you REALLY, REALLY want one on your Luxury SE, you can order one through the Ford accessories site primed and ready to paint (see link below) and have it installed by a dealer. It's a little pricier that way, but you would have your spoiler! It doesn't make aerodynamic sense anyway since (1) there really isn't any aerodynamic downforce to speak of like you said, and (2) the FFH is front wheel drive so why try to push down on the non-driving wheels in the first place? The back wheels are just kind of "along for the ride" so to speak. Just sayin'...... Now on a 911 Turbo Carrera it kinda makes sense, doesn't it? Especially on the Autobahn. :) Miss those days sometimes!

http://accessories.ford.com/exterior/spoilers/kit-rear-spoiler-10433.html or maybe this one http://accessories.ford.com/exterior/spoilers/kit-rear-spoiler-10761.html

Edited by TonyHzNV

And how do you know this? I don't have data on the Fusion, but I know on the Taurus the spoiler does reduce drag by a measurable amount. And as noted above, the spoiler is included on the Focus fuel economy package because it does reduce the drag. And don't think that an "inverted wing" is the only way to generate downforce. I remember hearing about how the trunk lid on the Lincoln LS was very carefully massaged because the car had a bit too much lift at 140mph (back when it was intended to be sold in Europe). Some tweaking of the flip-up at the edge of the trunk was enough to make a noticeable difference in lift.

And even if the spoiler produces no appreciable downforce, possibly even at FFH top-speed, it would be a really remarkable engineering feat in itself if they have designed the spoiler to have a totally neutral effect on the air turbulence in the region of the car at all speeds.

I would be willing to bet that the spoiler either enhances or detracts from the aerodynamic characteristics of the FFH, particularly at the rear, and most likely does not have a completely neutral effect.

Here is the link again to the really cool youtube video of the 2013 Fusion, without the spoiler, being shown in the Ford wind tunnel with the smoke flow characteristics in the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8xvuzyowU

The purpose of a spoiler on the rear of a car is to create downforce (on the driving wheels) thereby increasing the grip of the drive wheels to the road more for better grip in turns than anywhere else. While generating downforce, spoilers CREATE drag, not reduce it. At the speeds we drive in our FFHs, I can guarantee you they are generating way more drag than downforce. Read this: http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-purpose-of-a-spoiler-on-the-back-of-a-car.

There may be some downforce created at 140 miles per hour that Waldo referred to, but MY FFH will never see anywhere close to that speed. Spoilers generate downforce in proportion to speed and it takes a lot of speed to generate that force. Read this also: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae496.cfm

And finally, "Most car owners add spoilers to their cars to create a sporty look associated with race cars. Many types of spoilers add a sleek and stylish form to the car, but people who drive in the city or in the suburbs under 70 miles per hour may not see any immediate changes. However, people who do serious highway driving can benefit most from adding spoilers." This statement from here: http://www.ebay.com/gds/6-Benefits-of-Installing-a-Spoiler-on-Your-Car-/10000000177633228/g.html

Have a nice day y'all! :)

Ah, so it seems like most people who have the spoiler like it, and aren't just "living with it 'cos all Titaniums had it". Interesting!

At least in Canada I have rarely seen SEs equipped with spoilers, and have yet to see a single Titanium without a spoiler. This applies to both hybrid and nonhybrid models.

The purpose of a spoiler on the rear of a car is to create downforce (on the driving wheels) thereby increasing the grip of the drive wheels to the road more for better grip in turns than anywhere else. While generating downforce, spoilers CREATE drag, not reduce it. At the speeds we drive in our FFHs, I can guarantee you they are generating way more drag than downforce. Read this: http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-purpose-of-a-spoiler-on-the-back-of-a-car.

There may be some downforce created at 140 miles per hour that Waldo referred to, but MY FFH will never see anywhere close to that speed. Spoilers generate downforce in proportion to speed and it takes a lot of speed to generate that force. Read this also: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae496.cfm

And finally, "Most car owners add spoilers to their cars to create a sporty look associated with race cars. Many types of spoilers add a sleek and stylish form to the car, but people who drive in the city or in the suburbs under 70 miles per hour may not see any immediate changes. However, people who do serious highway driving can benefit most from adding spoilers." This statement from here: http://www.ebay.com/gds/6-Benefits-of-Installing-a-Spoiler-on-Your-Car-/10000000177633228/g.html

Have a nice day y'all! :)

You're thinking from the race car perspective, not the auto OEM perspective. There are two types of race car spoilers, the ones that are upside down wings, and the ones that are vertical or close to vertical walls that generate a high pressure area in front of them. The OEM spoilers like the one on the Fusion is neither of those. Spoilers on sedans reduce drag because they "clean up" the air flow as it falls off the back of the trunk. Essentially they kick up the air so that it flows over the turbulent zone behind the car, which reduces drag a little bit. It may seem counter-intuitive, but most often a sharp edge at the rear of a vehicle will reduce drag. Look at the back of a new Suburban, they have very sharp edges on the D-pillar for the same reason.

If you don't believe they are effective at normal speeds, then you also wouldn't believe that the underbody shields or the tire spoilers or the grill shutters would make any difference either. All the pieces have small individual contributions, but they all add up.

Ah, so it seems like most people who have the spoiler like it, and aren't just "living with it 'cos all Titaniums had it". Interesting!

At least in Canada I have rarely seen SEs equipped with spoilers, and have yet to see a single Titanium without a spoiler. This applies to both hybrid and nonhybrid models.

Yeah. According to the ('15/'16) order guides, only 13% of SE Hybrids are built for retail with the SE Appearance Package (with spoiler) vs. 50% for the Luxury (502A) Package and 12% with the base SE (500A) Package. So, you won't see all t hat many SE's with spoilers. Just a matter of the production mix Ford decided upon. The remaining 25% of vehicles are built to order I would assume. But one thing's for sure. You HAVE TO BUY the Appearance Package (501A) on the SE to get the spoiler.

Edited by TonyHzNV

The PhysLink says "Some cars, like the Ferrari F1 cars, have them front and back; and since they are probably the most scientifically advanced wheeled transportation, I'll use them for the discussion."

Obviously there are different types of spoilers and one for a sedan is designed differently than the one on a F1 racer.

Wikipedia tells how a properly designed rear spoiler can decrease aerodynamic drag on a sedan or hatchback http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_%28automotive%29

"a spoiler can still be beneficial. This is because many vehicles have a fairly steep downward angle going from the rear edge of the roof down to the trunk or tail of the car which may cause air flow separation. The flow of air becomes turbulent and a low-pressure zone is created, increasing drag and instability (see Bernoulli effect). Adding a rear spoiler could be considered to make the air "see" a longer, gentler slope from the roof to the spoiler, which helps to delay flow separation "

Edited by Automate

All a matter of personal taste. I like the spoiler, I think the car is incomplete, naked, without it.

I like it too. Before we had a Titanium it didn't matter, but now that we have it I like it.

Yeah. According to the ('15/'16) order guides, only 13% of SE Hybrids are built for retail with the SE Appearance Package (with spoiler) vs. 50% for the Luxury (502A) Package and 12% with the base SE (500A) Package. So, you won't see all t hat many SE's with spoilers. Just a matter of the production mix Ford decided upon. The remaining 25% of vehicles are built to order I would assume. But one thing's for sure. You HAVE TO BUY the Appearance Package (501A) on the SE to get the spoiler.

I think the remaining 25% are either the Hybrid S or the HyTi.

That information was specifically for the SE Hybrid referred to in Machoman's post:

The spoiler is standard on the HyTi and has never been available on the S Hybrid. There are totally different numbers for the gas versions of the Fusion, but I'm only talking about the Hybrids. Reference the '15 & '16 order guides. This info is not available on the '13/'14 OGs. I suppose they were still trying to figure out the mix. On those MYs, it just says "TBD".

Edited by TonyHzNV