Sign in to follow this  
higheroctave32

Higher speeds in EV/future problems?

In non plug in hybrids, all the energy comes from fuel. When you are in EV, the electrical energy came from fuel and had losses in generation, charging, discharging and motoring which were substantially more at highway speeds than driving the wheels directly through gears. It's not an electric vehicle. It is a gasoline vehicle whose engine's thermodynamic efficiency is maximized by the hybrid power-train system. As I see it, the only advantage of the higher EV speed is for those that live in significantly hilly areas. That's probably not most of us. For the flat-landers, it probably didn't do a thing for fuel economy and may have made it slightly worse.

I guess my point is don't worry about your hybrid not being in EV. It's a little quieter in EV but it's quiet with the ICE on too.

Another reason upping the EV speed was a mistake. They should undo that software change. These transmissions should last forever. They're only brushless electric motor-generators and gear trains. Those kinds of machines can run for decades.