aschulz261

Can anyone explain this behavior?

The examples you give from the shop manual are exactly what you would expect from a transmission in neutral. I just find the fact that there is no charging load while in neutral to be weird. The ICE can handle the load in Park, and I would expect the load to be the same in neutral.

Does this mean that it is possible to COMPLETELY discharge the HVB with the AC on if left in neutral?

I can't think of any other instance where the ICE is running and the HVB is discharging and I can't understand WHY you wouldn't be charging the HVB in this scenario.

Per regulations, all cars must have a "neutral" where the car is incapable of being propelled by it's power train. In these cars it is done by removing all torque from the generator which controls the eCVT. In "N" you can discharge the HVB to an emergency shutoff level lower than what is normal. It is still enough to start the ICE. There is only one good reason to ever leave it in "N" and that is when you go through a rolling car wash. Turn the AC off first. Tell the attendants to not turn the car off and leave it in "N". Tell them if they turn it off and put it in "N" it will not start until they put it in "P". They usually hop in while it's rolling out the wash and try to start it in "N". If they don't speak your language, you're out of luck. Turn the AC off in case. I printed up an instruction sign and keep it in the "glove" box.

When in Neutral, the clutch disengages, so in a sense the entire genset is disconnected. When in park the park pawl(if it even uses one), prevents any motion from the genset to be transmitted to the drive wheels, so the generator can charge the HVB. Just leave it in gear, you arent wasting anything by doing so.

Will the car shut down at this point? Then, if you put it in Park, it can be restarted and with the eCVT generator engaged it will begin to charge the HVB?

I noticed a phrase in the eCVT manual that says:

Under certain conditions the SOBDMC will command the generator/starter to produce electricity for the electric motor and to charge the batteries.

That would not happen with the car in Neutral I guess because the eCVT is disengaged.

I don't believe there is a clutch in these eCVTs. The eCVT is "engaged" all the time but the ICE can't transmit any power to the wheels unless torque is put on the "generator" which is inhibited by the computer in "N". If the ICE is running and you select "N", it will continue to run. The DC to DC converter is still on so the 12 vdc is being charged by the HVB. It runs longer that the 30 -60 sec first start checks and may run until the HVB relay opens at the emergency shut off level and the 12 v subsequently dies. You would then have to jump the 12 v to start. There will be enough energy in the HVB to start the ICE with the "generator" and the HVB will recharge normally in a few minutes. The 12 v will take a lot longer. In the 2010-12 FFHs, The ICE will not start in "N" except in one case. if you are coasting downhill in EV and "N", if you exceed the 47 mph maximum EV, the "generator" will motorize or start the ICE to keep the generator RPM below limits. Look at these demos.

Check the "Driving mode" box and select the function. This is a Gen I Prius but most of the eCVTs are similar with different numbers.

http://www.wind.sannet.ne.jp/m_matsu/prius/ThsSimu/index_i18n.html?Language=en?Country=US

Here's another one.

http://www.eahart.com/prius/psd/

Edited by lolder