Sign in to follow this  
hybridbear

USB ports & device charging

Our iPad will not charge when connected to either USB port in the center console. It connects to play music but by the battery symbol the words "not charging" appear. It appears to be an issue either with the car or with the iPad. This exact same cable & USB port work fine to charge either of our iPhones.

Does the iPad try to pull too much current? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Quite normal. The iPad requires a higher amp charger than the iphones. Mine does the same thing in the cars and connected to computers. It still does charge, just at a much slower rate.

No, it does charge. Turn it off for a while and when you turn it back on you will see the percentage has gone up. It is more like a trickle charge than anything else. Basically it will maintain the percentage of the battery when plugged in and being used for something like Pandora, but anything more CPU intensive will not. I see the not charging when connected to my PC, but if I leave it over night it will be fully charged.

Is it a later gen ipad? I have an early version(which most apps no longer work on). Could be later gen's are more sensitive to the charger then.