Sign in to follow this  
chris109

Looking at FFH

Have been looking at a 2010 FFH. Took it out for a test drive a couple of times. From a dead stop, there is a rumbling noise from the engine area for a second or two and then goes away. Does not happen if slowing down to almost dead stop and continuing on as if at a red light that just turned green. Dealer told me it is normal. Just the gas engine going over to electric. (I take dealer comments with a grain of sea salt.) I did drive a 2013 FFH rental last month for 10 days and did not notice it (wasn't really paying attention either since it was a rental). Normal sound?

No. There might be a barely noticeable instantaneous shudder when the engine starts but nothing that lasts for a second. The engine sound might be a little louder in the 2010 with higher power demands but that's all.

An emissions test is the least important used car test as the cars test themselves all the time. Don't buy this car until you drive another 2010-12 to compare. This car sat on the lot a long time and if the dealer didn't run the car regularly the high voltage battery could be damaged. These cars are very quiet and smooth and little vibration should be presnt when transitioning back and forth to EV. There is a little "growl" noise from the engine at middle to high power settings but it is smooth.

I wouldn't worry too much about the HVB and sitting. The 2010 I had sat in a garage for 9 months not being driven, or even started until I bought it. The only problem it did have was a spider made a nest in the MAP sensor and it had to be replaced. As for the noise you heard, it could be normal, question is, did you feel anything? You could have just heard the pumping of the ICE as it spins up before starting. If you feel something, walk away.