corncobs

Manufacturing problem with 18" luxury wheels ?

I moved my summer tires out of the way in my garage and I noticed something next to to the lug nut hole. To me me it looks like a manufacturing defect but that be a warranty issue?

EF284EDC-67D2-4BF2-A305-27A8563AEE84_zps

2337B020-6C03-46A0-B3BC-70DEB795BD55_zps

All three chips are on the same wheel and one of the spots I was able to peel off since I noticed a crack in the paint.

Edited by corncobs

Might be the Pep Boys air impact gun got away from the guy installing the tires.

Many of those tire shop chaps just speed jam the air wrench lug socket into the hole without regard to the customers wheels.

Boy, look at that salt, that is salt isn't it?

Yes a lot of salt and I wanna clean them but it's 19* and snowing outside.

I thought about the impact wrench but the chips go deeper than just the paint. It looks like there was a small air bubble in the metal surface. The chip is all the way thru the paint and primer and I'm looking at bare metal.

I will stop by my dealer on Monday and show them.

Whoever changed your tires has some explaining to do. The marks look like gouges to me.

Yep, thats socket damage, I have seen that many times(I used to be a mechanic), and that can happen from the socket slipping off the nut and spinning.

Damn that sucks but thanks for the confirmation guys. That just means that the free wheel swap was such a good deal after all. Maybe it was there before when My dealer did a tire rotation with the first oil change.

Just tells me that it's hard to trust people with your prized possession.

Btw when the service manager was going to drive my car into the service bay he failed. He came back in after a few minutes and asked me if there is a particular way to start my car. I almost laughed at him because I noticed is struggles from inside the shop.

Btw when the service manager was going to drive my car into the service bay he failed. He came back in after a few minutes and asked me if there is a particular way to start my car. I almost laughed at him because I noticed is struggles from inside the shop.

:hysterical: I saw this once too. The time that the dealer had me bring in the black FFH but then didn't have any cars they then later on sent someone to pick up our car and drop off a loaner. I let the dealer employee into the FFH and began to drive off with the loaner to try to find a parking spot since I couldn't just park the Edge they gave me in the hybrid only space where the FFH was. I was watching as I drove away and I noticed that the guy wasn't driving away in the FFH. So I turned around and went back. He told me that the car wouldn't start and that my battery was dead. I gave him a puzzled look, and said "Really?" I walked over to the car, turned the key and showed him the "Ready to drive" message. He said, "But the engine didn't start!" I replied, "This is a hybrid." It made me laugh.

Edited by hybridbear

I had the same experience in 2009 when I test drove a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. The salesman got in to move it out of its parking spot and was flustered because the engine wouldn't start. He called for a battery jump but another salesman informed him that the engine didn't have to start. I knew almost nothing about hybrids back then so I stood there and watched. The car I did the test drive in had already been sold and shouldn't have been used for a test drive. The sales manager wasn't very happy with the salesman.

Edited by murphy

This guy who calls himself service manager managed only one thing and that is to activate the EV+ for the Pep Boys shop I'm driving by every day to work.

Grrrrr now I get a reminder of my damaged wheel every time I drive by.

Is that the one in front of HD? I was not impressed with that store. I went there inquiring about a Scangauge and the counter moron had no clue what I was asking for.

Is that the one in front of HD? I was not impressed with that store. I went there inquiring about a Scangauge and the counter moron had no clue what I was asking for.

Yep that's the one.

They aint touchin EITHER of my cars then!

BTW have you seen the red Focus Hatchback with the black trim at the O-Reily on 14? I nearly bought that car instead of the Fusion.

Edited by acdii

This is another good reason to go all weather tires to stop the abuse! :idea:

corncobs - what happened with your wheels when you brought them in to show the shop that they'd damaged them?

corncobs - what happened with your wheels when you brought them in to show the shop that they'd damaged them?

I have been pretty busy at work leaving early and coming home late. So I wasn't really in the mood to deal with these guys and argue about who's fault it was. Not sure when I can get to it maybe this weekend.

I have been pretty busy at work leaving early and coming home late. So I wasn't really in the mood to deal with these guys and argue about who's fault it was. Not sure when I can get to it maybe this weekend.

That sounds like my week at work too! Arriving early, leaving late.

You might not be able to do it this weekend either, have you heard the weather reports? Looks like we are going to get slammed with snow.

Yes a lot of salt and I wanna clean them but it's 19* and snowing outside.

I thought about the impact wrench but the chips go deeper than just the paint. It looks like there was a small air bubble in the metal surface. The chip is all the way thru the paint and primer and I'm looking at bare metal.

I will stop by my dealer on Monday and show them.

SALT! I hate it! Unless it's on my popcorn, with lots of butter. Real butter, not the yellow crap at the movies usually.

Sure I have seen the weather reports but remember I have an FFH on winter tires! ;)

There were 2 times winter tires would have not helped much, the car sits low and I got stuck on snow drifts twice in driveways. Luckily I was able to back out of them, but the snow was over the bumper, where the 2010 FFH would have cleared it. However, hit drifts that high at 60 MPH and watch the fun begin! Who Knew the Fusion could leave a rooster tail!