hybridbear

Ford's Jim Farley: “We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing"

This has been discussed many times at other forums I have been on, and you are 100% correct, there do need to be laws regarding this information. Does something like this fall under Constitutional protection, as in illegal search and seizure if they grab the data without your permission and try to use it against you?

This goes even deeper and is getting all pervasive.

If you have an Android phone you can be tracked, if Location Services is turned on in your iPhone or iPad you can be tracked.

If your car has a Garmin or Tom-Tom GPS plugged it can be tracked, On-Star with a GM vehicle tracks you.

If you use the internet or plug in your computer to any router you can be tracked, use your laptop at a Starbucks, you can be monitored and data taken.

Personal privacy in the USA is almost at an end and it would take a very determined person to keep a low profile.

I had a friend who's husband got mad and left for a few days, she was worried and didn't know what to do to find him.

I suggested that she call their credit card company and ask where the last places it was used, no problem, she tracked him down, they made up and all was well.

There are few areas where this information data-mining is not intensifying, Google being the biggest, mostly unregulated, world-wide pirate of all.

The NSA is just another doing the same thing, Google does it because they can, it's very profitable.

There are companies that you can hire that attempt to delete you from public records and they do, for the most part, but some data gathering cannot be turned off by you or me.

The 'Black Box' in all the newest vehicles sold in the USA (like our Fusions) is indicative of the assault on personal privacy and the legal ramifications of this data gathering are yet to be determined.

The fact that if I am in a collision and which exact pedals were used and when, vehicle speed, direction of travel and other parameters must make certain lawyers happy, it does not make me happy.

You are not just a kiddin here! Last night i was showing my friend the old house I used to live in before moving to where I am now. I saw what it sold for, so then I looked up my current address, and found similar information, and then some, at the bootm of the first google page, there I was, email address, name, everything.

Further proof that you really need to be more careful about information you present to everyone. If you are one of those soccer moms who likes to plaster your kids names and the sport they play with the school and have more than one kid, guess how easy it is to find out your name, then from there, find out where you live. After all, most people have the car dealer plastered on their car, so there is another piece of information. Beware, drive a really expensive SUV with your kids names plastered on it, ou just might be found out where you live, cased, find out when you are not going to be home and have your house robbed. If you have such a nice expensive car, chances are you have a ton of other nice expensive things in the house too.

Also if you use BT on your phone, shut it off when you are not in the car. Anyone can force pair your phone and steal whatever is on it. If you do banking on your phone, be very careful where and when you use it, and turn OFF your BT when you do.