Aquineas

Might have to get rid of the Fusion, but not for reasons that you might think..

Take a look at a used Flex, LOTS of room, not as huge as an SUV, yet can tow 4500#, seats up to 7 comfortably, or transport 2 adults, 2 kids and ALL their junk(I know, I have two of my own). It is a little bigger than the Edge, and has a wider rear seat where if needed an adult can sit between 2 car seats without a seat belt buckle going up their buttcrack like in the edge(which is why I didn't get one or an Explorer, both have the same rear seat). They can get 20's if driven conservatively, and I suggest a 2010 or later as the 09 didnt have telescopic steering.

Check out Flex.net forum for any concerns, but I can say after having 2 of them, they are so much fun to drive and have a ton of room, and are VERY comfortable for all. I even had my 6'2" son in the third row with head room to spare. His legs were a bit cramped, but he was still comfortable.

I don't think the Cmax would work either. I know what he is going through, been there, done that, and there isn't enough room even in the Cmax for his needs. I have done trips in the Flex with two kids, 3 adults, and all the fixins for a 4 night stay, including a crib and stroller. In the Flex I can have one car seat in the 3rd row, with the other seat folded flat, one car seat in the second row, so the 3rd adult is comfortable, and still had plenty of room for the luggage, crib, and stroller. Might be able to do that in the Explorer, but not the Edge.

OR, keep the Fusion and rent something for those few times you really need it. I had given that some thought before we finally settled on what we have now, but we use the Flex more often that first thought. I am just glad it isn't our daily driver, I drove it all last week and had to fill it 3 times. If it is to become a daily driver, might want to give that some thought too.

Well that is true, with a 6 and 7 yo, and three adults I did drive the HyTi to MN, and all our stuff fit the trunk for a 4 day stay. Another thing that you can think about is a trailer hitch and cargo platform. You can carry the stroller and other large items in a weather proof bag strapped to the cargo carrier. Would be less than a 6 month insurance policy on a mini van.