RWP

Newbie Questions (mostly maintenance)

Engine manufacturing today is nothing like it was in the past. Each engine is actually run up and seated before they ever leave the plant, so any crud is flushed out during the run in. Your first oil fill is actually the second when you get it, thats why you dont see a break in oil change. It is pretty neat to see this too. After the engine is assembled and before the pan is installed, they hook it up to a machine that pumps air into the engine to run it up, while lubricant is pumped through the system. This seats the rings and flushes out all the passages. The machine also tells them if something is not right with the engine based on how it performs. Once it passes the test, they install the pan and send it down the line to be shipped or installed.

That and todays oils are so much better than in the past that they do last longer even under extreme conditions.

As for the ICE, its not an Otto engine like in a normal car, one of those at 12:1 without a Supercharger or Turbo does require higher octane, but the ICE in the hybrid is an Atkinson cycle, the compression is variable with the valve timing. At peak its 12:1, but under most driving conditions its lower as the intake valve stays open during the compression stroke. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/atkinson-cycle-engine1.htm This is why it doesn't require higher octane fuel.

Spark plugs are made of much better materials these day and with the computer systems and fuel injection, along with cleaner burning fuels and tighter engines, they last much longer. It has been the norm now for over a decade to go 100K on spark plugs In fact on our 1995 Grand Marquis, the plugs have been changed once over 135K miles.

I use 89, but thats only because its the lowest grade at the station I go to, and happens to be where the first tanks came from. Since I rarely ever get gas anywhere else I cant tel you if it helps MPG or not.