Eds2014FFH

Not so happy with our real world numbers so far in our 2014 FFH

Too many variables to consider why, but going from a Challenger to the hybrid can be a big transition. For example, you may think you have changed driving styles, but braking and acceleration between the two are worlds apart. Add in the factor of winter blend fuels and the results you see are typical.

A good example would be the seat of the pants feel. You may feel like you are accelerating slowly in the FFH, only because the Challenger can put your butt in the back seat with a slight goose of the peddle. Use the Empower display and keep acceleration at the 2K(second bar) level, and be very light on the brakes to achieve 100% brake scores as much as possible. You would be surprised how big a difference a very light foot can make in these. You may also want to move the seat back a hair from where it is now to lighten the touch on the peddles. A 1/2" can make a huge difference between 30 MPG and 40 MPG.

A good illustration of how driving styles are really a big deal: last week my wife (who says she tries to drive smoothly for good MPG) drove my car across town from a store that is right near a gas station that I sometimes use. It is really favorable terrain that includes a big long downhill, so when I start off from that gas station I drive the 6 miles home and average 80-84 MPG (again, really high due to the long downhill)... she did the same drive on Friday and got 42. On normal around-town driving I will average 50-55 (knowing when to drive like grandpa and when to make the ICE run to charge the HVB at the right time, etc) and she averages 35-38... same car, same town, definitely different driving styles.

Danica Patrick not withstanding, good mileage is not important to most women and their thoughts are frequently elsewhere, like how to please their partner at dinner. My wife is a safe driver accident free for 52 years but when she drives my 2010 FFH for a day, it takes me a week of nursing to get the numbers back up above 40 mpg. She is on and off the throttle all the time unconsciously and no amount of cajoling has solved it. This is a very common thread across all the hybrid brands. She loves the car but she'll never get good numbers.

Once you get some miles in, you will find that you will be letting the car decide more on when it should be in EV or ICE. Eventually if you travel the same route every day, you will find when and where to switch. Just this morning on my daily route, it was 34* and I still managed to get 47.3( of course the 20 MPH tail wind had something to do with it). My trip home, I just drive, I gave up trying to maximize with the way the traffic is so erratic and lights that have no rhythm, I still keep a good distance from the cars ahead and give myself plenty of braking room, but since there is much more of it going home, there is more accelerating, so getting 41 is about average now. I just let the car decide, and it seems to be doing quite well.

With this being your first Hybrid, there are several stickies about that give great insight on how best to drive this car. It isnt easy, but over time it will all fall into place and you will soon become like the rest of us proud Fusion owners. :)

You should try to get used to looking as far ahead as possible for the traffic signals and back off the instant you know you won't make the green. Don't impede the other speed demons though. Pick a lane where you can coast up to the light and avoid coming to a full stop at all costs. Sometimes someone will get ahead of you but often you'll glide by them as they accelerate off the light. This is more than a new driving method, it's a lifestyle change that GrySql put very well above. You'll see the tremendous waste of energy that is occuring on our roads with scant reduction of travel times. For some this is hard but give it a try. Leaving 5 minutes earlier on a commute will make you think you have actually slept in another hour because of the lowered stress. Don't be a nuisance to the other drivers that haven't seen the light yet.

Traffic lights are the symbol of man's inability to deal with his social problems. Co-operation has not yet permeated vehicle operation and we have this present dangerous system. We all love to drive these cars but a new method of operating vehicles is almost here with the autonomous cars like Google and the already for-sale Mercedes 550. Another system under development by the SAE called V to V could eventually eliminate traffic signals. In V to V, all vehicles communicate data to each other by short range radio and they interleave their paths at intersections. There's a graphic somewhere that shows a big intersection with continuous flow. It looks a little like traffic in Calcutta without the collisions. When collisions become rare, vehicles can be designed much more simply and lighter. A huge part of automotive design today assumes the vehicle will be in a collision. Fatalities are increasing above 33,000/ year again.

HB you sure are complaining at a high level my friend. ;-)

LOL he is starting to sound like I did. :)

Not really, but you know what I mean. :love_shower: :wub: