Sleddog

ICE failed to start

Glad you weren't put in a dangerous situation... sadly (but predictably?) the more cars are run by software, the more likely a Ctl-Alt-Del is needed.

Don't take it back unless they change something and start a log of the repair attempts. Request higher involvement from Ford.

Edited by lolder

This shows how much monitoring of all the systems goes on. It didn't just quit because of no fuel, the system knew there was a problem with turning the fuel pump on. This is pretty new to automotive design. I still wonder if the DTC wasn't stored from the first problems or that they didn't know how to retrieve them. I suspect the latter. The 2010-12 models had a couple of reports where service departments discovered there was more than one location to check for DTCs and in fact they had been stored when the problems first occured. As these cars age, hopefully these systems will improve maintenance. The dealers seem to need a little ( lot ) more training. They must get away from the old excuse "could not duplicate" and give the car back to you.

There was considerable discussion on another FFH forum back in 2009-10 whether the traditionally mediocre performance of US dealer service departments would be the fly in the ointment in the success of these vehicles. I don't know if the issue is resolved yet. Ford and others have a huge stake in this but the independant nature of dealers limits what the manufacturer can do.

Edited by lolder

They are no longer Mechanics, now they need to be automotive technicians, and have a computer based background to repair cars now. They have gone from points and dwell to bits and bytes. It used to be the most complicated part of the car was the automatic transmission, now even the door locks are computer controlled.

I have been saying this for a while now, if there ever comes a time where computers fail globally, people will be so screwed! Everything now depends on a computer, from your phones to your cars. One of the things I am doing with my kids is to make sure they dont get dysfunctional by relying on a computer. At least when they grow up and if anything were to happen(think that show revolution), and you no longer had computers and cars that need them, how they could survive. The generation that built this country is, or nearly is gone, we have gone from a manufacturing skill set to a service oriented skill set. The former required thinking and doing with your hands, the latter reading off scripts and typing information.

I did something the other day I havent done in a long time. Turned off the TV, computers, phone and sat down and read a real book, one printed on paper. It was so peaceful, I had a great Nap that day.

Where am I going with this you wonder. No where really, just pointing out how much everything relies on computers, and if you dont know how they work, well, things wont get fixed when they break. Seems like that is how the service bays are these days, they really have no clue how to troubleshoot bits and bytes.

When I had my F350 and drove it daily, I wanted to mod it out. It uses electronic injectors, and after pricing out Stage 2 injectors, that $3500 price tag just for the injectors put an end to that. I did mod it out a little, I added a Cold Air Intake from AEM, a 5" exhaust, and an 80 HP programmed PCM. Being that is was an early 99(built in 98), it had a Powerstroke with forged rods, so it could handle a TON of HP. The block and heads could have easily handled twin turbos and stage 3 injectors, but the cost was just outrageous. The hike in diesel fuel put an end permanently to that truck for me though.

Prior to that my only modded car was a 1979 Ford LTD wagon. I loved that car, it was the perfect sleeper. 5.0 V8 blueprinted. I ran it with a 2 barrel Motorcraft carb and stock ignition, but had a good cam in it. It easily launched hard and hit 130MPH. It looked like crap inside and out, but man could that car haul. The only electronics on that car was the little box on the fender that drove the ignition. It consisted of three parts, the module in the distributor, the box on the fender and the coil. It was easy to diagnose, you stuck a paperclip in two sockets and read the flashes on the dash.

I had a 1992 Crown Vic that was more complex, but was still easy to diagnose, had fuel injection, and a PCM, but you still diagnosed it with a jumper and flashing dash light, but there was a scan tool, which I still have, and a breakout box, which I also still have, for diagnosing the system.

Todays cars, you need a laptop with special software to diagnose them.

Anyone remember the big Sun machines used for diagnosing engine troubles? I used to be able to work one of those too. It had an ignition scope that would show the spark off each plug like an oscilloscope.