hybridbear

Edmunds article about MPG calculations

I posted a similar article a long time ago. Look at gallons used vs mile per gallon. This makes a ton more sense in long term savings. Right now I can go a week between fills in the FFH, using 10 gallons of gas, vs filling the Flex going the same distance at 17 gallons used. Same miles, but 7 gallons more used. Thats the difference between the 43 I get in one and 21 I get in the other over 500 miles driven. Rough estimates so please dont try to calculate out what I said. :)

Going from the 2010 FFH to the 13 FFH I didnt do it because of MPG. The 10 was doing very well in that respect. I did it because I wanted the newer car, longer warranty and more room. Going to the 10 FFH from the 10 FFS was for MPG gains, 20 MPG to 39 MPG, worked out to at least a 1/2 month car payment every month in gas savings alone..

As long as the new one gets or exceeds what the 2010 did, I am happy with it, anything more and I am thrilled.

When I had the F150 3.5 it got roughly 17 MPG. I now have a Flex with the 3.5 EB that is getting up to 21 MPG. Seems like a small number until you start adding up the differences. 100 gallons got me 1700 miles vs 2100 miles at 21 MPG. thats 400 miles further for every 100 gallons. Add in that I needed to use Premium in the F150 to achieve that and 89 in the Flex. 89 at the station by me costs about the same as regular everywhere in Mchenry county. Since my math isnt the greatest, I leave that up to whomever wishes to do it. The point is, the Flex does everything I need it to do, while the F150 was overkill, more than I needed it for. The F150 was a beautiful loaded truck, but was too much vehicle for what we needed, so getting the Flex not only fit the bill, it saves me money long term in fuel savings, but still have that Giddyup go factor the F150 did.