Guardian_Bob

MPG On Screen vs Reality

It is all estimated. Fuel used is based on flow rates and injector timing. If there is any discrepancy, it is in this area of the calculations. It may or may not account for fuel returned to the tank after each cycle. What it estimates, and what most of us see in reality is more fuel is actually sent through the injectors, than the car is estimating. The only way to correct this is to calibrate the trip summary with the gallons used like you do with a Scangauge. If Ford were able to allow us to correct the fuel used on each trip, then you can see better accuracy in both gallons used and MPG.

Prius owners report +6 to 8% too high mpg's from the computer.

Edited by lolder

Hey I had an F350 that told me I was getting 36 MPG. I dont put much faith in the dash gauges, the proof is in the puttin in the tank. None of hte cars I owned were spot on accurate, they had a variance between 5 and 15% depending on how much gas I squeezed in. They dont take into consideration air temps, and evaporation.